Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 06:46 PM

863 posts, read 2,078,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blin9465 View Post
(people say to go to Dawson Creek but isn't a little back tracking???)
Yeah you can skip it if you don't need anything in town. I skipped it when I drove up following the same route you're describing.

Wouldn't generally recommend making reservations in winter. There's too much likelyhood of being delayed somewhere along the way, and it's very unlikely that places will be full. Probably a good idea to call ahead (or maybe check websites) and come up with a list of places along the way that are pet friendly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 06:47 PM

36 posts, read 70,148 times
My wife and I just had this discussion and we've come to the conclusion we're putting everything we can live with out into storage until summer when we can go back to get it and make a safer drive. My company is paying for the move so it doesn't matter to them when it happens. I would hate to have a Uhaul break down in the middle of winter!!! We can crash on an air mattress and use plastic/paper silver wear and be just fine

Old 01-16-2012, 07:12 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,133,538 times
I'd take the trip through Dawson Creek, the road from Chetwynd through Hudson's Hope to Fort St. John is a curve filled road with a big hill near Fort St. John. The road between Chetwynd to Dawson Creek is more likely to be better maintained than the Hudson's Hope route. Besides, you do need a picture of yourself at Mile 0 of the Alaska Highway in Dawson Creek!

A majority of hotels in BC and the Yukon are pet friendly. Shouldn't have a problem finding a place.

Don't drive between Fort Nelson and Watson Lake at night!

Old 01-16-2012, 09:31 PM

863 posts, read 2,078,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
the road from Chetwynd through Hudson's Hope to Fort St. John is a curve filled road with a big hill near Fort St. John. The road between Chetwynd to Dawson Creek is more likely to be better maintained than the Hudson's Hope route.
This is true, have to admit I forgot about that. Still, I drove it snow-covered in February with no problems, but it is exceptionally winding, and probably little faster than going through Dawson Creek.

Old 01-16-2012, 09:41 PM

59 posts, read 113,438 times
What do you guys think about driving a U-haul truck for our trip next week??? Is it an insane idea???

Old 01-16-2012, 10:28 PM

Quote:
What do you guys think about driving a U-haul truck for our trip next week??? Is it an insane idea???
Depends on how the road is. You will most likely need to bring chains with you, especially climbing up near Steamboat Summit/Indian Head Mountain. There is a steep grade there. Also for climbing in and out of the Muncho Lake area.

Old 01-17-2012, 02:11 PM

34 posts, read 72,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
Depends on how the road is. You will most likely need to bring chains with you, especially climbing up near Steamboat Summit/Indian Head Mountain. There is a steep grade there. Also for climbing in and out of the Muncho Lake area.
I'd add that it also depends on how your husband is with winter driving. uhaul trucks, in my experience, are notoriously poorly maintained. couple that with someone who isn't experienced/confident driving in poor winter conditions it could turn ugly quickly. the majority of the route was in good conditions when I drove up at the beginning of November, and there were still spots that sucked, even being very experienced in winter driving and incredibly confident of my vehicle's capabilities.

Old 01-17-2012, 03:10 PM

59 posts, read 113,438 times
Thanks Warptman and mreece...my husband grew up in the east coast with snow in winter and he drove in Fairbanks last month so I think he's okay as far as winter driving. He's told (and seen) by the local Uhaul company that the truck we're getting is pretty new and that they send those newer trucks for one way long distance trip and have insurance and 24/7 roadside asst. I asked if the truck is winterized and has appropriate tires, he told me yes. He's planning on driving the Uhaul and tow our Xterra to save gas. I'm still pretty nervous about it but doing so will save us ~$5k which is oh soooo tempting...but I know our safety is much more important than $...My husband seems to be confident and thinks it would be fine but I'm just a little on the skeptical side (you know all the what if's...) our plan is to start the drive on sat. and I'll log in and give you guys updates whenever I can. If you don't hear from me by early-Feb...something went wrong and come find us!!! =P

Old 01-17-2012, 03:43 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,616,843 times
Quote:
About 5 years ago I drove a Uhaul truck pulling a Uhaul car trailer with a small SUV on it. This was in February. We got a flat on the trailer about 3 hours outside of Watson Lake in the middle of the night. It was at least 20 below out. We unloaded the SUV to take the weight off of the trailer and drove them both into Watson Lake & checked into a hotel room at about 4am. Got up the next morning & found the shop that Uhaul had as their authorized fix it place. They replaced the tire, which was ruined from us driving on it. We loaded the SUV back up and was on our way.

So it's doable in a Uhaul.

Old 01-17-2012, 04:28 PM

This couple lives in Williams Lake, BC. It has a list of places to eat. Very good information since you'll be traveling along this route.

Food Beyond Hope

Get a burger from Fort Alexandria!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks