Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 12:17 AM

339 posts, read 588,579 times

Advertisements

My thoughts exactly. Just have to choose one. The Jotul looks good for a sort of small place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 11:06 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,189,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaNana View Post
My thoughts exactly. Just have to choose one. The Jotul looks good for a sort of small place.
A coworker of mine has a small size Jotul and he really likes it. I have one, but this one is much larger (Jotul 500). It's made of cast iron, and the back of the firebox is lined with firebricks. Quite heavy, and very efficient. I bring fresh air to it from outside the house via a 4" metallic pipe.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:59 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,177,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
1,700 square get of living space is a small house in you have 2 adults with some kids.
The ex and I raised 3 kids in about 1000 ft/2, it wasn't huge but it did the job!

And here in Wasilla, the electric is $99 (leveled billing) and gas varies from $160 in January to $30 in the summer. Less is more in the northland!

Old 08-02-2012, 10:16 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,189,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomadAK View Post
The ex and I raised 3 kids in about 1000 ft/2, it wasn't huge but it did the job!

And here in Wasilla, the electric is $99 (leveled billing) and gas varies from $160 in January to $30 in the summer. Less is more in the northland!
Your electric bill has nothing to do with the size of your home, but with electrical consumption and how expensive it is where you live. In here we don't use natural gas. We use heating fuel, and the average cost per gallon is around $4.00. I explained this in one of my responses above.

Yes, you can raise a big family while living in a trailer, or even a tent. But a 1,700 square feet home is not really that large considering that part of it is a garage for your car. Remember that the walls inside the home, closets, garage, cabinets, and so forth, bathroom, etc., reduce the space inside the home by quite a lot. All depends on the home layout inside the home, since the size of the home is measured along the outer walls (outside). For example, a cabin without rooms inside that's 40 feet long x 40 feet wide = 1,600 feet square.

You have to consider that most homes are purchased by people who have children. Renting a 3 or 4-bedroom apartment in Fairbanks could cost you a fortune. As I said before, a 1,700 square-foot home is not very large if it has three bedrooms. My smallest one is of this size, but that's because only three of us live in this home: my wife, our dog, and me. The empty bedrooms are handy when we have our kids and grandchildren (or other relatives) visiting.

Last edited by RayinAK; 08-02-2012 at 11:15 PM..

Old 08-04-2012, 11:45 PM

339 posts, read 588,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
A coworker of mine has a small size Jotul and he really likes it. I have one, but this one is much larger (Jotul 500). It's made of cast iron, and the back of the firebox is lined with firebricks. Quite heavy, and very efficient. I bring fresh air to it from outside the house via a 4" metallic pipe.

Thanks for the info. I expect the place to be under 500 sq ft. Just me and the dog. Might add a cat once I am back for good, hopefully in a couple of years. Plan on selling the NCa place once I can get what I want out of it. I refuse to take a loss. In the meantime I will work on getting the place in Alaska all set-up and ready to go. Since I am rather remote I don't expect vandelism but you never know so the "portable" stuff will go into storage. Don't want to tempt someone.

Last edited by AlaskaNana; 08-04-2012 at 11:52 PM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks