Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2012, 06:56 PM

2 posts, read 2,648 times

Advertisements

I've vacationed to Alaska twice, but just to the kenai peninsula for fishing trips and was wondering some stuff

1.how would it be going to UAF without a car? i have a feeling the 'ole 05 slamry wouldnt handle alaska too well.

2.I'm planning on majoring in accounting and have heard job prospects are pretty good, can anyone confirm?

3.Is there anyway I could bring a gun or 2 up there, like can the school or police hold my guns since im going to be in a dorm?

4.i run cross country down here and am wondering how hard is it to learn cross country skiing/how practical is it to xc ski in winter with the temps?

5.how far away are the nearest public hunting grounds? (just for small game or anything)

6.optional question: how are the babes on campus? sorry had to throw that one in

I've looked through quite a few threads already and it has made me like the idea of going to fairbanks even more. I've always liked the idea of moving to alaska, which im assuming will be the result of going to college and most likely landing a job there. any help is good help thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2012, 09:27 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,885,875 times
There are buses that go to campus and to shopping areas but you'd have to freeze your toukas waiting for it. There are plenty of older cars in Fairbanks so if you think the car can make the drive, it can handle Fairbanks. Once you are here, get an oil pan heater installed and plug in your car.

As far as babes go, just as many attractive females live here as anywhere else.

Oh, for accounting job prospects, I am an accountant and recently the job market has gotten tougher but a few years ago, many companies had to hire contractors from the lower 48 to fill jobs until they could get someone permanent.

Old 11-13-2012, 09:39 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,189,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilgrcol View Post
I've vacationed to Alaska twice, but just to the kenai peninsula for fishing trips and was wondering some stuff

1.how would it be going to UAF without a car? i have a feeling the 'ole 05 slamry wouldnt handle alaska too well.

There are UAF shuttle busses for going from classroom to classroom throughout UAF. There also is a bus line should you want to go off campus

2.I'm planning on majoring in accounting and have heard job prospects are pretty good, can anyone confirm?

3.Is there anyway I could bring a gun or 2 up there, like can the school or police hold my guns since im going to be in a dorm?

No handguns through Canada, but long guns OK after you buy a permit ahead of time

4.i run cross country down here and am wondering how hard is it to learn cross country skiing/how practical is it to xc ski in winter with the temps?

Other skiers at UAF can teach you. It's not always very cold

5.how far away are the nearest public hunting grounds? (just for small game or anything)

If using a bow, right around UAF (within city limits). With a gun you would have to travel long distances

6.optional question: how are the babes on campus? sorry had to throw that one in

Well, the babes are OK on campus, but more than likely you won't be able to tell who is slim or fat during the winter since they are covered with warm gear from head to toe. I remember seeing this woman on a skate board during the summer. She was wearing a pretty dress that was around knee high, and her legs looked pretty hot (I was driving and she was ahead of me by the road). She has shoulder length brown hair with bright highlights. I passed her and looked back on the side-view mirror, and the girl had quite a long beard and mustache. It was a guy dressed-up as a girl

I've looked through quite a few threads already and it has made me like the idea of going to fairbanks even more. I've always liked the idea of moving to alaska, whic im assuming will be the result of going to college and most likely landing a job there. any help is good help thanks!
The unemployment number should be around 8% in Fairbanks.

Old 11-14-2012, 12:54 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,864,317 times
Guns on the UAF campus: University Police Department| Gun Storage

You should bear in mind, though, that you won't be eligible for a resident hunting/fishing license until you have been in Alaska for a full year, and out-of-state licenses are both more expensive, and very limited. The info about this is readily available on the AK Fish and Game site. Home Page, Alaska Department of Fish and Game

I am not all that agile and I have no problem cross-country skiing. I've been doing it since I was a child but I don't imagine it'd be that hard to learn. If you dress properly you can go out in pretty darn cold weather, but of course the level at which the cold becomes too unpleasant to make the activity worth it varies from person to person. Personally I wuss out on outdoor activities around -20.

Old 11-17-2012, 10:40 PM

2 posts, read 2,648 times
Quote:
Well, the babes are OK on campus, but more than likely you won't be able to tell who is slim or fat during the winter since they are covered with warm gear from head to toe. I remember seeing this woman on a skate board during the summer. She was wearing a pretty dress that was around knee high, and her legs looked pretty hot (I was driving and she was ahead of me by the road). She has shoulder length brown hair with bright highlights. I passed her and looked back on the side-view mirror, and the girl had quite a long beard and mustache. It was a guy dressed-up as a girl
uh oh haha thanks guys

Old 11-18-2012, 10:08 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,521,443 times
Must be the South Beach part of Alaska.

Thev part that you better check the plumbing before you go home with one...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks