Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 12:23 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,874,158 times

Advertisements

This is a song-and-dance anyone who works in the public sector has seen quite a few times, honestly. There's a pretty predictable cycle where they threaten lay-offs, folks who feel their position is tenuous jump ship, administrators use it as an opportunity to cull the people they wanted to cull, someone does some financial wizardry, and then most if not all of those positions are open again for new hires, because in reality it does just take a sufficient number of warm bodies to keep various things operational. Things are a up-in-the-air right now but I wouldn't be alarmist about it, nor write off government jobs as an opportunity to get into the black.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2014, 12:24 AM

20,296 posts, read 37,224,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
So the City of Fairbanks has a popultion of 33,000 and the Fairbanks Northstar Borough's population is over 100,000. I'm glad you grew up there but it seems to have grown a bit since 1930. I'd say that any city that has an international airport with jet serivce directly to the lower 48 qualifies it for more then "small" city status.
Too many people already But the worst part is the very high cost of living. The number should be around 130-140% compared to some cities and towns in the lower-48 where the cost of living is in the 78-90%. I can understand the OP's situation since it is very tough, but there are some people out there surviving on lower wages. The difference has to do with how much you spend and owe, and how much you make.

Old 12-20-2014, 12:17 PM

4,715 posts, read 10,530,316 times
Fairbanks is a class 1 city... So "bigger" than small town, USA, but I hardly call it a large US City if we are comparing Fairbanks against all US Cities and areas. You could call it a "modern city" with services (Fire, Police, Etc..), including an international airport.

Maybe a better description would be it is a small metropolitan area. There are "Small" cities in Miami-Dade, but they are completely locked in by other cities and the metro-area has the 2.5 million people in it. (Really South Florida has 5.5 million and that includes Broward and Palm Beach Counties) Whereas you have to go to the outskirts of Fairbanks to come with 100k people and it isn't like the surrounding Boroughs are over populated either.

According to the Wiki - North Star is 7,444 Sq. miles for 100k people. NYC is 469 sq. miles. and with limited exceptions (Central park for one), all of it is built up too.

And IMHO there is ABSOLUTELY nothing wrong with that. Different strokes for different folks. One of the reasons AK attracted me as well, Ray. NYC doesn't appeal to me AT ALL - and yes I have been there.

Old 12-21-2014, 09:51 PM

773 posts, read 1,942,350 times
Get into something like this Military Vets w/honorable discharge & Transitioning Military , where the military will not only pay for the training, but also pay you to go. I only use this school as an example, I don't know anything about them. NIT in Wasilla/Palmer has one (check with your VA rep, they should be able to help you), but they don't have operator training till spring.....which might be worth waiting, I'm thinking of getting out of the mechanic business and going with them, using the GI bill. You my have to travel a lot, but the pay should be good.

Debt is a hard one, when the wife and I got out of the Army, we had a bunch. I was sick of it and finally decided to get rid of the credit cards that we had just for emergency's (Ya! Right!), then started paying everything I could on the smallest bill, and payed minimum on the rest, then when the smallest bill is gone, do the same with the next smallest bill and so on. It took us a few years, plus some working 2 jobs, but finally got rid of all the debt. it is not easy, but can be done.

Something else that helped was buying a fixeruper home, then build equity in it as you get things fixed up. If you rent, the money you pay is gone for ever, if you buy, then have to sell a few years later, you should be able to get all your money back plus some.....least that's what helped me.

Old 12-22-2014, 04:10 PM

879 posts, read 1,733,911 times
I would move away. Sounds absolutely miserable. I'll admit I don't get these prices in Alaska, but there's a housing bubble everywhere right now.

Old 12-23-2014, 06:14 PM

AS long as I can sell my house before it bursts and then buy the next one after it bursts I'll be happy. Granted, I am not usually that lucky, but one can dream.

Old 12-25-2014, 01:51 PM

879 posts, read 1,733,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
AS long as I can sell my house before it bursts and then buy the next one after it bursts I'll be happy. Granted, I am not usually that lucky, but one can dream.
Is your house for sale right now? It may be too late already.

Old 12-25-2014, 02:29 PM

Putting it up next Month... And hopefully it isn't too late....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks