Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2022, 12:32 PM

5 posts, read 17,933 times

Advertisements

Ok so I was doing a bunch of research on the best time to catch the lights, and while I see August-April is the time frame, wondering if there's a PARTICULAR time of year where they're more vibrant and more abundant according to weather and time of year.

I recently read the equinox (September and March) are the BEST times due to geomagnetic activity at those times of year. Then I read that the beginning of October is NOT a good time due to a lot of overcast days (was thinking of Oct 1-8). Then I read that December (my original plan was Dec 3-10 might be iffy because of cloudy skies with snowfall. Anyway, you get the picture. I'm reading all this info and I have no clue what is correct and what's not. Thought this might be a good place to find out!

Although I do want to experience some winter fun like dog sledding and snowmobiling, not too keen on double digit sub zero temps. I can handle cold, being from CT, but that's REALLY cold. Do I just buck up and do it anyway and go for winter like December or something? Or would the first week of October actually be ok. Tried poking around the mid-end of September, but it seems the accommodations (airbnb), flights and rental cars are all WAY more than they are starting the first week of October. This is a bucket list trip so I want to get the most bang for my buck and have the best shot at seeing those lights!

Any advice?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2022, 01:42 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,600,762 times
If you look in the Alaska photos thread stickey on the main Alaska page, you’ll see some spectacular photos of the northern lights around April 15-30. The temperatures should be a bit better, as compared to the middle of winter during that time.

Old 07-12-2022, 03:03 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,855,832 times
March. March tends to be dry (ergo clearer skies) compared to Sept-Oct and usually the extreme low temperatures are more-or-less done for the year by then. The other nice thing about March is that there are a bunch of festivals and events in Anchorage and Fairbanks, so there's stuff to do even if the lights don't show for you.

April is getting late, the nights are getting short.

Old 07-12-2022, 04:23 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
March. March tends to be dry (ergo clearer skies) compared to Sept-Oct and usually the extreme low temperatures are more-or-less done for the year by then. The other nice thing about March is that there are a bunch of festivals and events in Anchorage and Fairbanks, so there's stuff to do even if the lights don't show for you.

April is getting late, the nights are getting short.
Agree about March being the best since by then temperatures are milder. By Fairbanks, I favor mid September through mid October for taking photos of the Auroras because there is a chance for open water (no surface ice) on the local lakes. Water reflect the Auroras like a mirror does.

September at Chena Lakes:

March somewhere else:

Last edited by RayinAK; 07-12-2022 at 04:47 PM..

Old 07-12-2022, 08:38 PM

September:

March though early April (there is too much daylight after mid April, so I prefer March):

Old 07-13-2022, 05:33 PM

Default Wow!

Gorgeous pics, Ray! LOVE them! I'm hoping to see THAT in PERSON! The reflections are AMAZING! I'm thinking the same, but mid to end of October is out - so I think I'll look harder at early October, except for the full moon, won't that interfere with the brightness and brilliance of the aurora? I would rather not see any competition for those lights! Maybe it has nothing to do with it... let me know! Full moon in October is October 9, and I was looking at October 1-8. Ugh. New moon in November is the 23rd (my birthday) - maybe I should look at that week, but that's Thanksgiving. Maybe the week after? Nov 26-Dec 3? That's just a first quarter moon. If the moonlight has NOTHING to do with the brilliance and effect, then I won't worry about it! Just trying to consider EVERYTHING. Maybe I'm overthinking.

I'm planning on a trip in March anyway, to Anchorage and then up to Lake Louise.

I'm asking SPECIFICALLY about beginning of October to let's say mid December. (I have to leave out mid to end October, since my boss will be planning an anniversary trip somewhere, they're just not sure of exact dates, but it's the boss, so...) When is the best time to go in that range? As I mentioned before, end of September is SUPER expensive compared to beginning of October and beyond as far as rental cars and airfare, but I'll pay the extra if need be if that's indeed the BEST time in that time frame I mentioned to go.

Looks like 2025 is going to be the peak of the solar cycle, so maybe I should just wait until then and stop overthinking! None of us knows what life has in store for the future, and I have the funds to go NOW, so that's why I'm considering it...

Old 07-14-2022, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraMcIntire View Post
Gorgeous pics, Ray! LOVE them! I'm hoping to see THAT in PERSON! The reflections are AMAZING! I'm thinking the same, but mid to end of October is out - so I think I'll look harder at early October, except for the full moon, won't that interfere with the brightness and brilliance of the aurora? I would rather not see any competition for those lights! Maybe it has nothing to do with it... let me know! Full moon in October is October 9, and I was looking at October 1-8. Ugh. New moon in November is the 23rd (my birthday) - maybe I should look at that week, but that's Thanksgiving. Maybe the week after? Nov 26-Dec 3? That's just a first quarter moon. If the moonlight has NOTHING to do with the brilliance and effect, then I won't worry about it! Just trying to consider EVERYTHING. Maybe I'm overthinking.

I'm planning on a trip in March anyway, to Anchorage and then up to Lake Louise.

I'm asking SPECIFICALLY about beginning of October to let's say mid December. (I have to leave out mid to end October, since my boss will be planning an anniversary trip somewhere, they're just not sure of exact dates, but it's the boss, so...) When is the best time to go in that range? As I mentioned before, end of September is SUPER expensive compared to beginning of October and beyond as far as rental cars and airfare, but I'll pay the extra if need be if that's indeed the BEST time in that time frame I mentioned to go.

Looks like 2025 is going to be the peak of the solar cycle, so maybe I should just wait until then and stop overthinking! None of us knows what life has in store for the future, and I have the funds to go NOW, so that's why I'm considering it...
The weather is milder in Anchorage than it is in Fairbanks where I live, but most photographers prefer the wide-open areas near the Denali park and around Fairbanks over Anchorage for photographing the Auroras. Light pollution is more common in the city because of street, traffic, and other lights. If you look at some of my photos taken in March, the pink-color brightness in the middle (second photo) comes from the North Pole street lights.

I cannot tell you much about the Auroras and Anchorage, just Fairbanks and the interior of Alaska (North Pole, all the way to Summit Lake, Tok, and so on). Sometimes it is snowing in September. A few years ago there was a big snow fall by mid September, and several moose hunters had to wait several days in order for the aircraft pilots to fly them out. I have seen evenings around Halloween with lots of snow on the ground and temperatures around -10 degree F. I have also experienced summer days stretching though most of October (cool sunny days). It means that it will be up to nature for you to observe the Auroras.

Sometimes there are cloud covers that last from days to weeks and you can't see the Auroras, some other times there isn't a cloud cover,. but you won't see the Auroras because these lights are dependent of solar flares (it takes about two days for a solar flare to reach earth, I believe).

The moon does not interfere with the auroras enough to worry about. Just keep in mind that it's almost impossible to schedule a time and place to view the Auroras. It may take days and even weeks for the sky to clear. I have met a Korean photographer who travels around the world to photograph the Auroras. Sometimes he spends over a month and longer around Fairbanks.

The University of Alaska in Fairbanks (UAF) has lots of information about the Auroras:
https://www.gi.alaska.edu/monitors/aurora-forecast

Old 07-14-2022, 04:00 PM

2,022 posts, read 1,650,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
The moon does not interfere with the auroras enough to worry about. Just keep in mind that it's almost impossible to schedule a time and place to view the Auroras. It may take days and even weeks for the sky to clear. I have met a Korean photographer who travels around the world to photograph the Auroras. Sometimes he spends over a month and longer around Fairbanks.

The University of Alaska in Fairbanks (UAF) has lots of information about the Auroras:
https://www.gi.alaska.edu/monitors/aurora-forecast

For a very active display, I agree. However, if it is on the lower end of the scale, a full moon can make the difference between seeing it at all or being able to say you got to see some northern lights.

Anchorage (where I live) has a lot of light pollution and a high percentage of cloudy days in October. I have seen some spectacular displays here but they really have to be cranking to overcome city lights.

I agree with Ray, March is the best month to come up if you are looking to see northern lights.

Old 07-14-2022, 06:10 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post
For a very active display, I agree. However, if it is on the lower end of the scale, a full moon can make the difference between seeing it at all or being able to say you got to see some northern lights.

Anchorage (where I live) has a lot of light pollution and a high percentage of cloudy days in October. I have seen some spectacular displays here but they really have to be cranking to overcome city lights.
I'd agree as well. Depending on the surrounding topography, city looms can extend for a very long way. Maybe it's just my dashed hopes, but many times the most active aurora displays seem to be forecast right when the moon is full. It can definitely wash them out if the moon happens to be positioned just right in the sky. I've lived most of my years in AK closer to the coast. Can't count the times the aurora ends up hidden by clouds. It could have been crystal clear for the previous week, but as soon as auroral activity is forecast to hit its peak, the next storm rolls in and you never get to see it!

Old 07-15-2022, 06:38 AM

Wow! Thanks for the amazing info, everyone! This is exactly the feedback I was hoping for!

I may just change my latitude for late fall/early winter and go south to an island or something.

I’ll stick with my plan to go in March to see my brother and his wife in Anchorage and head up to their cabin in lake Louise. They have tons of pics they’ve taken at the cabin of some amazing auroras! Perhaps I can take a flight up to Fairbanks from Anchorage and spend a couple of nights up there and cross my fingers that I catch one up there!

Last edited by LauraMcIntire; 07-15-2022 at 07:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks