Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 01:09 AM

16 posts, read 222,084 times

Advertisements

Fairbanks Ak is really really cold! And we love it!! It is so much better than roasting in the southern 48. We have hit -48F and some areas are rumored to have hit lower than -50F. It is so nice to be snug like a bug inside and breathing free and clear outside. It is so much easier to breath in the cold dry air than the thick cool humid air. We are so glad we moved here. Everyone is so nice and makes us feel at home. This is really a great state!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 05:17 AM

345 posts, read 1,277,636 times
In goldstream I hit the -50 mark, my thermometer only goes to -40 but i scaled it down and i think it was passed -50...

anyway, i've been throwing water in the air all week and watching it explode

Old 01-05-2009, 05:49 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,832,856 times
Man I have a hankering to sit in the Chena Hot Springs for a day. Just to warm my bones!

Old 01-05-2009, 12:37 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,959,040 times
How hot is the water there?

Old 01-05-2009, 01:40 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,570,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
How hot is the water there?
Well the downside of the "Rock Pond" at temps below -40, they take too much heat out to use on the buildings, and the big rock in the pond act like a heat sink, and the extreme cold pulls the heat out of the water through the big rocks so it is more like a warm bath instead of "Hot" like it is at -20 or warmer. In the summer, they use a sprinkler to cool the water down a bit.

But it is still great to sit in the water, the sulfer smell isn't too bad, but it does get in though the skin when it is hot, and you feel really good for a few days and the aches and pains goes away for a bit. Well worth the trip anytime though.

On the west end of the pond it is cooler than the east end where the springs come up though the sand.

Old 01-06-2009, 11:14 AM

322 posts, read 903,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermo Man View Post
Fairbanks Ak is really really cold! And we love it!! It is so much better than roasting in the southern 48. We have hit -48F and some areas are rumored to have hit lower than -50F. It is so nice to be snug like a bug inside and breathing free and clear outside. It is so much easier to breath in the cold dry air than the thick cool humid air. We are so glad we moved here. Everyone is so nice and makes us feel at home. This is really a great state!
Please tell me that's sarcasm. Seriously, it's all I've been able to do to go to work and not say $%^@ this place all week. I'm from Texas originally. Hated the heat. But, I've never seen anything as bad as this! I'm going back to Texas, hopefully to see snow less than once a year.

Old 01-06-2009, 11:16 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,832,856 times
Sounds like somebody needs to sit in the hot springs for a few hours and go to that...happy place. Is it really that bad?

Old 01-06-2009, 11:18 AM

322 posts, read 903,199 times
Sorry, I'm just in a crabby mood this morning, due mainly to days of this weather. I do want to go to a happy place...Hawaii.

Old 01-06-2009, 01:12 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,386,447 times
Default Happy Places

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittymama View Post
Sorry, I'm just in a crabby mood this morning, due mainly to days of this weather. I do want to go to a happy place...Hawaii.
Eh Kitty - I lived in Hawaii for 30 years. It's a good place to go to once in awhile - - gotta pick your places carefully. Traffic and cost makes me unhappy there. But I know a good site with all sorts of info on it for ya if you want to go to Hawaii. Fares out of Seattle are cheap right now, too. Can we post those kinds of links? If not, send me a direct message and I'll give it to you.

Alternatively - you can do what we do in Phoenix. We say, "but it's a DRY HEAT!" so you can say, "But it's a DRY FREEZE!"!

Throwing water in the air to watch it explode! Now THAT's a new one!

Old 01-06-2009, 01:37 PM

58 posts, read 244,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittymama View Post
I am in Hawaii now and I don't really care for it. Hoping to go to Alaska but we will see come Nov of this year...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska > Fairbanks