Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 03:46 PM

26 posts, read 61,082 times

Advertisements

This is not an interview, Qazu! This is a full-on moving to Fargo for my first big job! I am sure it is going to be quite a shock in lifestyle. I am now trying to see what I need to do with driver license and registration, insurance, etc. I got just one good set of thermals to start with.

I will likely land in Fargo sometime in the evening, then I will rent a car to get to the hotel where my mom and brother and I will stay for a couple of days whole we ready my apartment. I hope the driving isn't too crazy or dangerous! I see that it just snowed recently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2015, 03:51 PM

573 posts, read 1,452,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
The best advice I can give you is, don't buy any thermals until you get there. Unless you do so online. Its highly doubtful that you will find thermals that are even close to the quality and warmth of thermals you will find in North Dakota. You can get by long enough to find what you need when you get there. Where I live, it was 5 degrees this morning. In shorts and T-shirt, I went out and shoveled snow, cleaned my vehicle windows and come back in. When I did go out to get chores done, I wore a Levi shirt and hoodie, and blue jeans. BUT, I had on good gloves, boots, and a hat. I was fine.

Good luck!
Ha ha ha---good for you but I actually would not say that is the norm. What works for you may not work for another. In all my years of living in cold country, I can say I have never seen anyone do that but if it is ok for you, then that is how your role.

Old 01-08-2015, 05:00 PM

517 posts, read 1,052,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juntra View Post
This is not an interview, Qazu! This is a full-on moving to Fargo for my first big job! I am sure it is going to be quite a shock in lifestyle. I am now trying to see what I need to do with driver license and registration, insurance, etc. I got just one good set of thermals to start with.

I will likely land in Fargo sometime in the evening, then I will rent a car to get to the hotel where my mom and brother and I will stay for a couple of days whole we ready my apartment. I hope the driving isn't too crazy or dangerous! I see that it just snowed recently.
I did not see the car rental desk when I flew in this afternoon. I think there is one, but I did not see it. The first thing you should do is reserve that car. The last thing you want is to be stuck with the wrong car for you, or no car at all.

Pack the thermals in your carry on and wear the coat onto the plane. You will be glad for the coat when you leave the plane.

I just got back from vacation, it is starting to feel like winter here now. The roads are not clear, when they have snow on them like this, it it like driving on slippery sand. It is not bad, but remember, there are two kinds of people in Fargo in the winter time, those who are patient and those with dents in their cars. The advice I got when I first got here, drive 5 mph below the speed limit all the time. I probably exasperated a lot people but they are too polite to pass me up and give a scowl much less the finger.

I am assuming that your apartment is at City Scapes on First near Broadway. The Wurst Bier Hall is in the same building at street level. Be sure and try the food, also, JL Beers and the Vinyl Taco is next door to JL Beers. It is worth eating at. The only two downtown hotels I know of are the Raddisson and the Hotel Donaldson, but they are nice. The Raddison has a nice brunch on Sundays. It is a little more expensive than everything else, but it is nice.

Layout.

Fargo is a square city. Streets run north and south, Avenues run east and west. Simple. Everything north of Main street counts up from main and it 1st ave north, 2nd ave north, etc. When you leave the airport you will have to turn onto 19th ave north. If your hotel is downtown, you will turn left, if it is near the mall, then you will turn right. It is pretty simple. We have good LTE coverage, (at least AT&T does,) so you can use Google maps to navigate.

If for some reason you find yourself in South Fargo, avoid the 32nd Avenue south overpass over the freeway. I do not know what is up with that overpass, but every time I went over it last year someone was slip sliding away.

The Walmart in Dilworth Minnesota is closer to your apartment than the Walmart on 13th avenue south. I also think is it nicer. The Hornbacher's on Main in Moorhead Minnesota is actually closer than the Hornbacher's on Broadway in Fargo, but I like the one on Broadway better, I am not sure why, I just do.

Oh, North Dakota has some blue laws. If you need a bottle of wine to celebrate with, you need to get it at a "Bottle Shop" not at the grocery store.

If you need medical care, I have gotten good care at Sanford, and I have heard they are importing pretty young nurses from California.

Old 01-08-2015, 05:12 PM

Quote:

I got a ticket a while back, 56 in a 40. It was 15 dollars. The officer was polite, when I paid the ticket I was able to chat with the people downtown. Getting a license and registration should be no problem.

How are you getting your car here?

Old 01-08-2015, 07:30 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vnodak View Post
Ha ha ha---good for you but I actually would not say that is the norm. What works for you may not work for another. In all my years of living in cold country, I can say I have never seen anyone do that but if it is ok for you, then that is how your role.
I will say this, I did not waste any time shoveling the. steps, nor cleaning vehicle windows. 5 minutes out in that, isn't too bad. Sure makes you appreciate that hot, fresh ground coffee. lol

Old 01-10-2015, 12:14 PM

At first I thought shipping my car would cost too much, but after looking to buy a used car in Fargo, I think I'd end up with more things to worry about.

So I am shipping my car to Fargo, and doing that in an enclosed truck will cost like $2000+.

I am a little scared about the cold and not being able to start my car in the winter. I am glad I have that underground heated garage in the apartment.

I drive a BMW 328i. It is the only car I have, and I am afraid this is not the right kind of car for Fargo.

Old 01-10-2015, 01:18 PM

Quote:
At first I thought shipping my car would cost too much, but after looking to buy a used car in Fargo, I think I'd end up with more things to worry about.

So I am shipping my car to Fargo, and doing that in an enclosed truck will cost like $2000+.

I am a little scared about the cold and not being able to start my car in the winter. I am glad I have that underground heated garage in the apartment.

I drive a BMW 328i. It is the only car I have, and I am afraid this is not the right kind of car for Fargo.
Well you will have a car you are familier with. Unfortunately there is not a BMW dealer in Fargo, but if it is out of warranty the mechanics here can take care of it. I believe the 318i is a rear wheel drive, so just throw a couple of 40 pound bags of ice melt in the trunk and you should be good to go.

Old 01-10-2015, 02:01 PM

Ice melt? What is that? Salt? There's gonna be a lot of things for winter driving I won't know much about.

Old 01-21-2015, 03:03 PM

5 posts, read 14,258 times
Quote:
So far, not a single word from any employers in my home state of California. What is important is that I start my nursing career as soon as possible. Fargo is right now the best option for me. Wyoming has offered me a job, but it is psychiatric nursing, and that isn't the best specialty to start my first job with. I actually have two job offers in Fargo from two different hospitals, Sanford and Prairie St John's. I notice the hosptials here are very quick to offer me a job, which is good for me.

So, it looks like I will be in Fargo in about a week or so. I have started preparing for my move last night. I am making sure to buy the heaviest duty thermals I can find before I take off!

Things are going to be hard in this completely new life for me, but I am ready to tackle it on!

Any advice you have for me before I land in Fargo?
Hi there, I've been reading through this thread. I am in exactly the same boat as you, except I live in Indiana currently and not CA. I also have an RN offer for Sanford. Location is NOT ideal. But you have said it best - as new nurses we need that experience. Stay a year or two and the world is your oyster.

Old 01-21-2015, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpint View Post
Hi there, I've been reading through this thread. I am in exactly the same boat as you, except I live in Indiana currently and not CA. I also have an RN offer for Sanford. Location is NOT ideal. But you have said it best - as new nurses we need that experience. Stay a year or two and the world is your oyster.
With nurse wages you can afford better than the Gardner. Unless you really like to party, there are a couple of complexes on Broadway near 14th. On is nice, the other is very nice. I lived on 14th and walked past Sanford to get downtown last year. (When we had a real winter).

From 14th to the north entrance of the downtown Sanford hospital is only six blocks. It is actually closer than the Gardner. I like that area, more trees, more parks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo