Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2019, 11:13 PM

3 posts, read 12,315 times

Advertisements

Hello, everyone! I have been hoping to gain some insight about moving to Fargo, ND. So first things first, the move will only be my GM retired 65 yr old mother and 25 yr old little ol me. We are currently living in NC, but we absolutely detest the extreme hot weather all year round until "winter", the lack of a retiree community for my mother, and quite honestly I am tired of the college scene here, and the systematic racism runs rampant like no tomorrow. We have all but become hermits lol. My mother and I are originally from Michigan so we are no strangers to cold weather and snow. We are planning to move around the first of October to Fargo.

What we really want to know is how accepting is the community of Fargo of African Americans. Are there racial tensions between law enforcement or residents? I only ask because in our research for finding another state to migrate to, my mother and I noticed how accepting and receptive a lot of posts were to people of colour migrating to Fargo. However, a lot of the posts and testimonies are 10+ years old with no updates. I don't want to come off as crazy or anything, but I am tired of my mother and I being treated like we don't belong, just because she nor I fit the southern social norms of what is acceptable.

Anyways, tell me what you all know or how you feel! Any input is welcome !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2019, 06:36 PM

Sorry, if this post came off as hostile everyone! I just want to make sure this is the right decision for my mom and I. Our only worry is if we will be harassed or frowned upon for being minorities.

Old 07-09-2019, 05:29 PM

1,045 posts, read 758,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaiaMaia View Post
Sorry, if this post came off as hostile everyone! I just want to make sure this is the right decision for my mom and I. Our only worry is if we will be harassed or frowned upon for being minorities.
I hope you get a response. I'm leaving NC too, but not for any cold state - I can't take that type of weather. I'm headed out west to pursue my career in screenwriting. I'm also Black & tired of southern redneck racism. Good luck!

Old 07-10-2019, 05:27 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,931,399 times
Quote:
Hello, everyone! I have been hoping to gain some insight about moving to Fargo, ND. So first things first, the move will only be my GM retired 65 yr old mother and 25 yr old little ol me. We are currently living in NC, but we absolutely detest the extreme hot weather all year round until "winter", the lack of a retiree community for my mother, and quite honestly I am tired of the college scene here, and the systematic racism runs rampant like no tomorrow. We have all but become hermits lol. My mother and I are originally from Michigan so we are no strangers to cold weather and snow. We are planning to move around the first of October to Fargo.

What we really want to know is how accepting is the community of Fargo of African Americans. Are there racial tensions between law enforcement or residents? I only ask because in our research for finding another state to migrate to, my mother and I noticed how accepting and receptive a lot of posts were to people of colour migrating to Fargo. However, a lot of the posts and testimonies are 10+ years old with no updates. I don't want to come off as crazy or anything, but I am tired of my mother and I being treated like we don't belong, just because she nor I fit the southern social norms of what is acceptable.

Anyways, tell me what you all know or how you feel! Any input is welcome !
You'll be fine. Fargo is more diverse than you might think. Plus North Dakotans are very down to earth and helpful.

Old 07-10-2019, 06:14 AM

828 posts, read 647,741 times
You will likely be fine; it is somewhat more diverse than it appears from just looking at demographic statistics, and it is a pretty friendly community. Can't speak firsthand as to relations between law enforcement officers and residents though, so perhaps others can help more there, as I don't live in Fargo.

Old 07-16-2019, 02:54 PM

114 posts, read 90,513 times
I would say a large % of African-Americans in ND live in the Fargo area. There are also some Somalians and Sudanese. Plus you have NDSU. There are way more African-Americans living there compared to even 15 years ago. I would say most people are accepting there.

Old 11-05-2019, 07:51 AM

Hello everyone! Original poster here to update you all, my mom and I decided to move out to Appleton, Wi in less than a month. Thank you all for opinions and help on the matter!

Old 11-05-2019, 11:24 AM

1,045 posts, read 758,617 times
Quote:
Hello everyone! Original poster here to update you all, my mom and I decided to move out to Appleton, Wi in less than a month. Thank you all for opinions and help on the matter!
Good luck! Let us know how you like it there.

Old 11-14-2019, 07:21 AM

23,688 posts, read 9,373,010 times
Quote:
Best of luck,OP....hope you have great experience moving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
View detailed profiles of: