Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 07:25 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,244,680 times

Advertisements

I don't see how Fargo is behind the times, it has pretty much everything a typical city its size would have and maybe more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2008, 02:19 PM

573 posts, read 1,452,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FargoBison View Post
I don't see how Fargo is behind the times, it has pretty much everything a typical city its size would have and maybe more.
Do not get me wrong, I will always have a place in my heart for Fargo and I do defend it regularly but I do disagree with you. When you consider all the surrounding population that it serves, it is way behind except in the medical field--------it is way ahead and always has been. Look at the downtown and all the cultural things happening to name just a couple.

Old 05-04-2008, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnodak View Post
Do not get me wrong, I will always have a place in my heart for Fargo and I do defend it regularly but I do disagree with you. When you consider all the surrounding population that it serves, it is way behind except in the medical field--------it is way ahead and always has been. Look at the downtown and all the cultural things happening to name just a couple.
What other 200k cities have a top 25 sports bar, top 100 music venue(the Hub), a minor league baseball team that plays in a beautiful stadium, a 20k seat dome, a minor league hockey franchise playing in a brand new facility, DI athletics, lakes country(1 hour away), any kind of chain you would want to eat or shop at(not necessarily a good thing), and a developing technology sector. I do agree Fargo has always been very well served in regards to medical and educational needs but over the past decade the city has moved forward quite a bit when it comes to entertainment and bringing in new business(especially in the tech field).

I'll never mistake Fargo for Chicago or Minneapolis but for cities its size in the Midwest it is well served.
For example, If I lived in Rochester or Sioux Falls I would be bored out of my mind.

Last edited by FargoBison; 05-04-2008 at 07:24 PM..

Old 05-05-2008, 10:39 AM

573 posts, read 1,452,168 times
I love the way you defend your city and I agree with most you say but I was referring to different types of cultural things and certainly not to fast food restaurants or shopping chains or businesses. I also was not referring to the midwest but more East and West coast. Like the Pacific Northwest cities or even Hawaii. Anyway, this is off the subject of the thread so I will not respond any further and I am sorry if I upset you. I was just giving my opinion. Have a nice day.

Old 05-05-2008, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnodak View Post
I love the way you defend your city and I agree with most you say but I was referring to different types of cultural things and certainly not to fast food restaurants or shopping chains or businesses. I also was not referring to the midwest but more East and West coast. Like the Pacific Northwest cities or even Hawaii. Anyway, this is off the subject of the thread so I will not respond any further and I am sorry if I upset you. I was just giving my opinion. Have a nice day.
You didn't upset me, nothing wrong with a good discussion.

I guess I was looking at things through more of a midwestern perspective, haven't been out to either coast that often.

Old 05-05-2008, 05:08 PM

23 posts, read 91,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet_November View Post
Hello ....

96 viewers and just 3 responses!
It looks that North Dakotans so friendly people!
I wish I could change that image about the community during my first three months; or I have to reconsider moving to much diverse city.

dutchinnd & ssgoodman thank you so much for your inputs, I really appreciate your help.

Many thanks for of you guys and God Bless you .
Don't be offended... a lot of people just don't know what to say.

North Dakota is overall one of the least densely populated states, but it seems pretty welcoming. Fargo is not totally white. From what I have heard, there is a substantial Somalian population there.

It can get pretty cold in the winter, but you should be fine if you wear appropriate clothing during that time. Generally, summers range from warm to moderately hot.

The Minneapolis/Saint Paul Metro is a much bigger area, and is slightly more progressive.

Old 05-16-2008, 09:43 AM

11 posts, read 79,837 times
Sweet_November, I moved from the Minneapolis /St Paul MN area to Fargo about three years ago. I've found Fargo to be very open to people of different ethnicities. There are many Samolian immigrants here and I've seen no one being treated worse for their skin color or ethnic background. In fact, our college population is very diverse and I have yet to hear of any race crimes, nor have I ever seen a friend or someone I work with that is from another country ever been treated differently. As long as you can speak English, which you seem to do very well, I really don't think you'll have a problem.

Rent is much less expensive than larger cities, probably because of the amount of students. Our average age here I think is around 30 years old..much less than most places. I paid $200.00 a month for my efficiency, but there are 2 bedrooms around for between $430.00 - $600.00. The same thing would be about $800 in the minneapolis area.

Employment here is very good if you're looking for something that isn't entry-level...there are a lot of college students here that take those. There are a lot of computer-related businesses, including Microsoft, that are always looking for people.

We have many many MANY parks here, even some dedicated to frisbee golf which seems to be a big thing now.

As for market prices, I'd say it's about the same as anywhere else. The one thing that's different is fuel...we seem to be very low compared to other states, and about 10 cents lower than surrounding areas at all times.

Hope this is helpful!

Old 12-29-2008, 11:03 PM

625 posts, read 1,882,651 times
Fargo has quite a few folks of different ethnicities & nationalities. Probably the most from Somolia, but also many from various parts of the former USSR, other places in Africa, India, China, Japan, Korea and other countries in that area, and at least 2 other Iraqi families.

Like someone else said, as long as you speak English or are willing to learn to speak it, and if you are willing to work, you will do just fine. The changes of seasons will be a shock at first, but most people quickly adapt.

I lived there for 8 years and now live 50 miles from there, so I still get there regularly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Fargo