Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 04:42 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,129,735 times

Advertisements

What's the first thing that comes to mind when you hear the following clothing stores?

J.C. Penny's

Urban Outfitters

Montgomery Ward's

Dillard's

Gucci

Dolce & Gabbana

Plato's Closet

Goodwill

American Apparel

Carrefour
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 05:02 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,012,211 times
Hate to tell you, but Wards went belly up almost 10 years ago....they only exist online.
I worked there when they went bankrupt.

Old 07-26-2010, 05:37 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times
I was going to say, Montgomery Ward is no longer a brick and mortar store, and hasn't been for years.

Old 07-26-2010, 08:25 PM

What's the first thing that comes to mind when you hear the following clothing stores?

J.C. Penny's - The store I usually shop at. Has good sales. I was able to get about five pairs of pants / shorts there, four button-up shirts, three T-shirts, and several undershirts / socks for around $150 the last time I went there.

Urban Outfitters - Hipsters shop there.

Montgomery Ward's - No longer in existence. I think they went out of business in 1998. At least the one in Duluth did - my mom took me there school shopping for 6th grade (which I began the fall of 1998), and got a crapload of clothes for cheap.

Dillard's - In Florida. Probably comparable to Sears or J.C. Penney's?

Gucci - Rich, stuck-up people.

Dolce & Gabbana - Rich, stuck-up people.

Plato's Closet - Surprisingly stain-free used clothes. One thing I imagine is bringing a mustard-and-ketchup stained shirt with a company logo or ".... March 2003" there, obviously well-worn, and asking how much I could get for it.

Goodwill - Cheap clothes. The absolute lowest (maybe rummage sales are lower).

American Apparel - Ads with disgustingly thin, under-clad models.

Carrefour - European brand. Comparable to Wal-Mart or Target in the U.S. (probably something between them).

Old 07-26-2010, 09:00 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,012,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post

J.C. Penny's - The store I usually shop at. Has good sales. I was able to get about five pairs of pants / shorts there, four button-up shirts, three T-shirts, and several undershirts / socks for around $150 the last time I went there.
You would be shocked at what you can find in the larger stores. They even have Sephora in them.
Urban Outfitters - Hipsters shop there.

Montgomery Ward's - No longer in existence. I think they went out of business in 1998. At least the one in Duluth did - my mom took me there school shopping for 6th grade (which I began the fall of 1998), and got a crapload of clothes for cheap.
Folded in 2001.
Dillard's - In Florida. Probably comparable to Sears or J.C. Penney's?
Did you not read the history of Dillards that I posted for you in your other thread? its in 29 states, equal or better than Macys.
Gucci - Rich, stuck-up people.

Dolce & Gabbana - Rich, stuck-up people.

Plato's Closet - Surprisingly stain-free used clothes. One thing I imagine is bringing a mustard-and-ketchup stained shirt with a company logo or ".... March 2003" there, obviously well-worn, and asking how much I could get for it.

Goodwill - Cheap clothes. The absolute lowest (maybe rummage sales are lower).
I've purchased Armani for a male friend there, and found Ungaro, Dolce and Gabbana, Chanel, and other haute-couture items at the Goodwill here....lots of rich people in this community.

American Apparel - Ads with disgustingly thin, under-clad models.

Carrefour - European brand. Comparable to Wal-Mart or Target in the U.S. (probably something between them).
There ya go......

Old 07-26-2010, 11:56 PM

543 posts, read 2,310,905 times
Shop at Penney's alot, FIL retired manager so we get his discount. Quality clothing at affordable prices. Plato's Closet is great for teenagers who think they need name brands to impress their friends. DD gets grandson's clothes there. He is growing so fast and he is so picky about his clothes, she has been without a job for the last 5 months, so that store is a blessing for her. I was impressed when I was with them the other day and we were shopping for his school clothes.I bought him quite a few shirts and some shorts to start school in and only spent $50. He also found a pair of tennis shoes that were practically brand new, got them for $20. Shoes alone were a saving of $80, we looked at the mall last week on a 100 degree day, just to pass the time and I was shocked at shoe prices for a 13 yr old! My last one got out of school 4 years ago and I would never have spent that much on a pair of shoes for him. Anyway, enough rambling, Plato's Closet I felt was a great store for parents who have picky teens. I shop where I can afford to shop. I have bought a few things at WM through the years, and if you are careful when laundering the clothes hold up well. I don't throw alot of things in the dryer, I put them in the dryer for about 10 minutes, then hang to finish drying.I don't ask where people shop, I figure they are like me, if they can afford it, buy it where you can. I buy alot at Fashion Bug, as they have some very unique clothing, plus it is never overcrowded.Sometimes Penney's is so packed with merchandise you can barely walk through the store.

Old 07-27-2010, 07:55 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,712,192 times
J.C. Penny's - That it's spelled JCPenney. I write sales proposals and had nearly finished one to them before I realized I had misspelled their name. The clothes are cheap but okay if I buy online. In-store is always crowded and feels kind of ghetto.

Urban Outfitters - Hipster. Sometimes funny gifts.

Montgomery Ward's - Defunct.

Dillard's - Macy's. A good place to shop when there's a sale.

Gucci - Handbags, I guess.

Dolce & Gabbana - The logo on knockoff crap, like Chanel.

Plato's Closet - Resale/thrift store. I'm told they don't pay well.

Goodwill - My ex-roommate, who would bring home the junkiest junk from there.

American Apparel - Those creepy ads that look like a pedophile's basement.

Carrefour - No idea what this is.

Old 07-27-2010, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
J.C. Penny's - That it's spelled JCPenney. I write sales proposals and had nearly finished one to them before I realized I had misspelled their name. The clothes are cheap but okay if I buy online. In-store is always crowded and feels kind of ghetto.
Really? Hah, I used to think of JCPenney as high class.

Quote:
Carrefour - No idea what this is.
Essentially the European Wal-Mart (also present in Mexico, China, etc.)

Old 07-27-2010, 08:34 PM

2,632 posts, read 4,052,419 times
J.C. Penny's: A place for practical people

Urban Outfitters: Trendy teens

Montgomery Ward's: Place for All-American goods

Dillard's: Similar to Macy's: A place for basics and finer things

Gucci: High-end Italianate perfume, bags & shoes

Dolce & Gabbana: (See Gucci)

Plato's Closet: Hand-me downs/donated goods

Goodwill: (See Plato's Closet)

American Apparel: Tackiness

Carrefour: French Wal-Mart

Last edited by LexWest; 07-27-2010 at 08:46 PM..

Old 07-27-2010, 11:52 PM

1,224 posts, read 3,375,171 times
I needed to buy some shoes for my 2 yrold when he was 16months, went to several places and found nothing, half the shoes looked returned or used and the prices were crazy, so on a whim I went into Desert Indrustries its like Good Will but run by the LDS, I belive. I bought a pair of good leather shoes in the same condition as the ones in the store for 2 dollars, I also bought a pair of what looked to be brand new vans for my 6yrold for the same amount. I really never think about where people shop nor do I really care if you like it, its made well, its in good conditon and you can aford then get it. I try to hit the sales when I can and have found some really good deals at dillards, or pennys for dress up clothes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty