Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 09:15 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,579,134 times

Advertisements

Here’s some hard evidence that fat people are discriminated against: A nail salon charged $5 extra on a customer’s bill for a manicure, pedicure and eyebrow arch at a nail salon because she’s obese.

Fat Woman Charged $5 Extra At A Georgia Nail Salon | The Frisky
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2010, 09:25 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,524,165 times
1) Its Georgia so I'm pretty sure that they will have to charge a majority of their customers the extra $5.

2) These Asian owned nail salons are very often greedy (hence the added $5 fat fee) and rude (talking about customers in front of them in their own language).

3) If people don't like how they (and most of the other similar nail salons) run their businesses, then don't patronize them and they will go out of business.....or they will learn to adapt to better customer service and business practices.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:35 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,108,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
1) Its Georgia so I'm pretty sure that they will have to charge a majority of their customers the extra $5.

2) These Asian owned nail salons are very often greedy (hence the added $5 fat fee) and rude (talking about customers in front of them in their own language).

3) If people don't like how they (and most of the other similar nail salons) run their businesses, then don't patronize them and they will go out of business.....or they will learn to adapt to better customer service and business practices.
send in frank costanza

Old 08-24-2010, 11:13 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,156,010 times
Quote:
True. There are a lot of overweight women in the southern states. But especially those that are black. So perhaps this is also a racial issue.
Quote:
Are those Asian nail salon owners greedy? From the prices I've seen posted in their windows, their prices seem quite cheap. And their services are much cheaper than hair salons that do cornrows, weaves and hair extensions. Those hair stylings seem very overpriced to me. Or at least, relative to the income of those getting those hair styles, it doesn't seem like a very smart way to spend the money they have.
Quote:
I completely agree with you on this.

Otherwise, I would like to know how much this customer weighed. Someone that is truly morbidly obese would put more wear and tear on the salon furniture than someone of average weight. And the $5 charge would be a subtle way of discouraging this customer from ever returning. So if this customer and other fat customers stopped going to this salon, it'd really be a win-win situation for all sides.

Old 08-24-2010, 11:37 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,280,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
True. There are a lot of overweight women in the southern states. But especially those that are black. So perhaps this is also a racial issue.
That's possible, though my Japanese ex-sister in law told me that many Asian women find black men exciting ... maybe it doesn't extend to black women? I dunno.

Quote:
Are those Asian nail salon owners greedy? From the prices I've seen posted in their windows, their prices seem quite cheap. And their services are much cheaper than hair salons that do cornrows, weaves and hair extensions. Those hair stylings seem very overpriced to me. Or at least, relative to the income of those getting those hair styles, it doesn't seem like a very smart way to spend the money they have.
Oh, those are very time- and labor-intensive hairstyles - and they last for weeks. Years ago, I stayed with a black family for a couple of months. The mother cornrowed her daughter's hair about every 3 weeks. It took her three hours to do it. Lots of people don't know how to do it, or aren't good at it, or don't have someone handy who's willing to spend hours braiding for free.

Quote:
Otherwise, I would like to know how much this customer weighed. Someone that is truly morbidly obese would put more wear and tear on the salon furniture than someone of average weight. And the $5 charge would be a subtle way of discouraging this customer from ever returning. So if this customer and other fat customers stopped going to this salon, it'd really be a win-win situation for all sides.
Isn't equipment a cost of doing business? On another board, someone looked up the pedicure chairs, and found that they are available for $2500 or so - not repairs, but NEW. If this salon owner does not want to have the business of the overweight, she's certainly going about it in a way to alienate them. Otherwise, she could have raised the prices $1 or $2 for all of the customers to make up for extra costs, rather than making people feel bad about their weight - kind of a funny thing for someone in the beauty business to do, don't you think?

Old 08-24-2010, 11:44 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,931,898 times
Was it at the Goja Pitty Booty Nay Salon?

Old 08-25-2010, 12:42 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,334,752 times
Quote:

Reminds me of that episode of Seinfeld where Elaine gets George's dad to interpret what the Korean nail ladies are saying about her

Old 08-25-2010, 01:01 AM

1,873 posts, read 4,409,024 times
Quote:

Yeah, I saw a lot of that years ago when I worked very briefly for a Mongolian restaurant as a server. It was owned by a Mongolian family. I quit after one of the employees, one of the middle-aged Mongolian sisters, started stealing my tips. Shame... I enjoyed working there.

Old 08-25-2010, 05:30 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,269,514 times
If you have equipment that won't take a heavy woman, you need to post a sign saying so. You need to inform your customers. Otherwise you'll be sued when that chair breaks; and you'll lose. And if you're going to put a surcharge on your obese customers (not wise), then it needs to be known up-front. Personally I would resent being charged extra to cover damage caused by obese people, but that is probably what's happening at most salons and healthcare facilities anyway.

I can see them trying to recoup the cost to repair damage caused by people too fat for their equipment. But the way they went about it in this instance was unfair and extremely rude. It's a delicate issue that must be handled delicately.

Old 08-25-2010, 06:58 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,153,734 times
Wow. Nevermind the discrimination; that's just plain rude. If I were a customer of that salon, I'd be talking to anyone who would listen about the salon's despicable policies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Are those Asian nail salon owners greedy? From the prices I've seen posted in their windows, their prices seem quite cheap.
You get what you pay for in those salons.
Quote:
Someone that is truly morbidly obese would put more wear and tear on the salon furniture than someone of average weight.
For the 10 minutes that you're sitting in the chair? What a crock.

Quote:
So if this customer and other fat customers stopped going to this salon, it'd really be a win-win situation for all sides.
How is it a win for the salon owner if business drops off?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty