Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 05:28 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
That's my point: Talbots used to have a specific target and, apparently, they've decided to throw us out with the bath water.

I guess Gardener34 is right, it's all about the "corporate-ing". I just wonder why they've continued down the wrong road when their profits have tanked (even before the recession). They got rid of the old CEO but I think they have tainted their brand.

If they wanted to compete with Limited, Ann Taylor et al, why didn't they just increase their J.Jill spin-off instead of messing up Talbots.
I agree. Plus I am tired of the low-slung, see-through, slutty tailoring that I see in a lot of stores. A lot of the "work" attire I see would be inappropriate or would make me uncomfortable because it's too revealing, so I wear more casual clothes because I can find more modest, conservative stuff (in terms of skin coverage) at Old Navy...but it's not formal enough. What do you do if you like "normal" work clothes with traditional tailoring? It seems like there is nowhere for you to shop these days. I used to go to J.C. Penney of all places for that stuff but J.C. Penney does not stock any size below 4 so I can't wear a lot of their pants/skirts anymore. So I have to prowl other stores and pay 2-3x as much for pretty much the same thing...if I can find it. It's so annoying.

Not all of us want lacy camis and sheer tops to wear to the office. Not all of us want tanks swimming in ruffles and low-cut tight-butt pants with razor-thin belts and stilettos or shirts with silly flowers and crap sewn onto it; women's fashion is so foo-foo and juvenile this season. And the sooner SKINNY JEANS and JEGGINGS die, the better. Their popularity has influenced the tailoring of "normal" pants to make them much tighter and low-cut. Nothing wrong with that outside of the office, but nobody needs to see the shape of my rear end in the office...particularly since I work in a male-dominated field. I get stared at enough as it is just because I'm female.

I do not like people staring at my butt or chest in the office, but with today's women's "fashion" that is the result because that seems to be all they sell. Sometimes I do want to draw attention to my butt or chest, but never at work!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2010, 06:25 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,400,337 times
I haven't been in a Talbots recently, but I've seen their ad campaign with Linda Evangelista and the first thing that ran through my mind was that the clothes and styling look more like Ann Taylor. I'm kind of bummed to see that my observation was right because I did a lot of shopping there for my mom and mother-in-law and I know they both spent a decent amount of money in that store as well.

Old 09-02-2010, 01:32 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,447,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I agree. Plus I am tired of the low-slung, see-through, slutty tailoring that I see in a lot of stores. A lot of the "work" attire I see would be inappropriate or would make me uncomfortable because it's too revealing, so I wear more casual clothes because I can find more modest, conservative stuff (in terms of skin coverage) at Old Navy...but it's not formal enough. What do you do if you like "normal" work clothes with traditional tailoring? It seems like there is nowhere for you to shop these days. I used to go to J.C. Penney of all places for that stuff but J.C. Penney does not stock any size below 4 so I can't wear a lot of their pants/skirts anymore. So I have to prowl other stores and pay 2-3x as much for pretty much the same thing...if I can find it. It's so annoying.

Not all of us want lacy camis and sheer tops to wear to the office. Not all of us want tanks swimming in ruffles and low-cut tight-butt pants with razor-thin belts and stilettos or shirts with silly flowers and crap sewn onto it; women's fashion is so foo-foo and juvenile this season. And the sooner SKINNY JEANS and JEGGINGS die, the better. Their popularity has influenced the tailoring of "normal" pants to make them much tighter and low-cut. Nothing wrong with that outside of the office, but nobody needs to see the shape of my rear end in the office...particularly since I work in a male-dominated field. I get stared at enough as it is just because I'm female.

I do not like people staring at my butt or chest in the office, but with today's women's "fashion" that is the result because that seems to be all they sell. Sometimes I do want to draw attention to my butt or chest, but never at work!!!
Well. . . I'll never be a size 4 but Brooks Brothers does have a lot of smaller sizes and their clothes are much more conservative so they're perfect for offices. My daughter (size 6) loves their suits. I know they don't have a lot of stores, but they have GREAT sales on their web site.

Good luck.

Old 09-02-2010, 03:04 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,038,202 times
Where I live, they've closed our Ann Taylor store, but I haven't noticed our Talbots carrying Ann Taylor type clothing. I stopped shopping Talbots because they stopped carrying smaller sizes. I wear a size 2 or 4, but most of talbots 4's were more like a 6. I really like shopping in more boutique type stores where I can find things that not everybody else is wearing. I will gladly pay more for clothing that is unique. I just wish we had more boutique shops rather than the corporate run places. When I have the time I make my own clothes, but unfortunately I don't have as much time as I'd like to have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty