Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 08:54 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,687,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eboni_Kisses26 View Post
According to your logic, having two black people on magazine covers is 'pretty close to the actual demographics.' I won't even comment on such an asinine statement.
Your small sample set and general whiny posts are equally asinine. Find some actual statistics about how many blacks are featured on how many magazine covers, then come back and cry about it. Also, who judges society on magazine covers and cosmetics? I guess we can find fault with everything if we look hard enough, huh?

Also, my guess is that you are counting all of the magazines that don't have people on the covers (automotive, travel, architecture, etc) as not featuring blacks, where in reality, they rarely feature people.

Old 10-25-2010, 09:01 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,687,152 times
My suggestion is for you to find someone who can help you deal with your issues. Once you take care of your issues, the world will probably look much nicer to you.

Old 10-25-2010, 09:53 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,269,957 times
Eboni, I think you make a good point. I watch the fashion shows on cable. What I find is there is not a large group of black models. Many of the younger models are featured in teen magazines.

As for makeup, I have problems, too, because of allergies. I rarely find what I need at CVS. I have one two blocks from my house and it is not very good at trying to address customer needs or even trying to special order; most of the large pharmacieschains do not. I unually find a foundation I like at the better department stores like Famous - which I think is now Macy's. I shop during the day because I think the sales women are better trained and know more about the products they sell. For me it isn't as much about money as it is how I look, and if I have a reaction to the test product.

Old 10-25-2010, 09:57 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
Do Ebony, Essence, Jet, etc. have ads for makeup?

Old 10-25-2010, 10:35 AM

1,233 posts, read 2,826,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
This is portion of the comment is just off. Photographing darker complexions does not require lighting that would melt a model's makeup off. Its all about simulating more natural light and using angles to capture features better from both sides. Not a big deal.
It's happened a couple of times with a friend of mine who was photographing a black woman (though it wasn't fashion photography, it was more portrait-y). I don't know how many lights she used, but I guess there wasn't enough ventilation in the area to keep the air moving and the foundation on her forehead started to get damp.

Old 10-25-2010, 10:41 AM

6,612 posts, read 12,842,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Do Ebony, Essence, Jet, etc. have ads for makeup?
Strangely enough, they do - as do the "other" fashion mags. I've even seen ads for "darker" makeup in those "other" mags.

Old 10-25-2010, 11:43 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,535,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emi__ View Post
It's happened a couple of times with a friend of mine who was photographing a black woman (though it wasn't fashion photography, it was more portrait-y). I don't know how many lights she used, but I guess there wasn't enough ventilation in the area to keep the air moving and the foundation on her forehead started to get damp.

She simply wasn't using the correct techniques (placement of lighting, correct amount of lighting, angles, etc) in order to photograph Black skin (or darker skin); it requires a bit of added knowledge to get it right to capture a great image.

This reminds of an interview in which Diane Carrol stated that she always brings her own lighting set up in case a camera crew or photographer is unfamilar with how to properly light her.

Tavis Smiley . Shows . Diahann Carroll . October 17, 2008 | PBS (http://www.pbs.org/kcet/tavissmiley/archive/200810/20081017_carroll.html - broken link)

Old 10-25-2010, 11:53 AM

23,416 posts, read 37,007,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
She simply wasn't using the correct techniques (placement of lighting, correct amount of lighting, angles, etc) in order to photograph Black skin (or darker skin); it requires a bit of added knowledge to get it right to capture a great image.

This reminds of an interview in which Diane Carrol stated that she always brings her own lighting set up in case a camera crew or photographer is unfamilar with how to properly light her.

Tavis Smiley . Shows . Diahann Carroll . October 17, 2008 | PBS (http://www.pbs.org/kcet/tavissmiley/archive/200810/20081017_carroll.html - broken link)
The incomparable Marlene Dietrich always insisted on having control of her lighting.
She was also in charge of her own makeup and costuming, she always said that since she created the illusion, she knew the most about it!

Old 10-25-2010, 12:11 PM

884 posts, read 2,642,702 times
Dar skinned black woman here,

I have been a magazine junkie for years. When I want to get a magazine that is going to highlight fashion and beauty I refer to Essence. Sometimes Glamour will have black models, also Marie Claire. Ebony-I only look at it at the grocery store and I put it back. To get a good makeup--foundation I go to the Mac store. Other makeup I find on the cheap at the Korean beauty store, or the drugstore. It is tough but not impossible. Avon has dark foundations too.

Today's black teenagers are NOT referring to magazines when it comes to a sense of beauty and esteem. Kids are on the net and watching TV. My 13yr old daughter can care less about a Vogue-but when I was her age I LOVED fashion magazines.

Old 10-25-2010, 12:25 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,730,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eboni_Kisses26 View Post
I was recently in the airport, and I couldn't help but notice the countless number of magazines with white women. I did not see any magazine's besides Oprah and Essence with black faces gracing the cover. Sadly, young black girls will not get the opportunity to see themselves represented, and young black boys will continue to be socialized to believe that other races of women (primarily white) are prettier and more valuable. It's extremely disturbing.

For this reason, I really take issue with the idea that black magazines such as Essence are discriminatory, since they cater to blacks. Without this magazine, black women would NOT be represented at all. Do whites really think it's fair that other races of women have 0 representation? I guess, most do not care.

On another note, as a dark woman, I often find it difficult to find foundation which matches my skin color. I once mentioned this to a CVS store manager, and he kindly informed me that I was shopping in a mostly white area, so the makeup is intended to cater to white women.

Interestingly however, when I shop in black neighborhoods, I notice that there's always a plethora of makeup available in almost every shade for white women (despite the relatively low/non existent number of white women in the community). This issue really bothers me. Why is it that even in all black areas, there's ample foundation colors and makeup available for white women?

Maybe it is because the major fashion houses in the world do not design their clothing with black women in mind.

I remember when Tommy Hilfiger was on the Oprah show a few years ago and told her flat out that "I don't want blacks to buy my clothes".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty