Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you wash new clothes before wearing?
Yes 33 38.37%
No 24 27.91%
It depends upon the type of clothes purchased. 29 33.72%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 11:27 AM

392 posts, read 1,554,024 times

Advertisements

When you buy new clothes, do you wash them before wearing them for the first time?

I've always thought that most mills wash the clothes they make before sending them out to the stores, but I've ways washed them, thinking that they get dirty during shipping and to get rid of the folding creases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2008, 12:11 PM

5,404 posts, read 16,004,724 times
Almost never! Once they're washed, they're no longer new!!!

Old 10-19-2008, 01:15 PM

726 posts, read 2,270,087 times
I never pay attention to those directions....lol.
The color never rubs off on my clothes. I only wash them after I wear them.

Old 10-19-2008, 03:50 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,275,900 times
Always...Who knows if the wench before you stuck some crabs in the crotch of whatever or body fungus spores in the pits....ew

Old 10-20-2008, 05:53 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,336,991 times
If you don't wash your clothes before you wear them it is terrible. How many people have tried them on in the stores? Someone with lice? Who knows! That's gross! Would you wear clothes potentially worn by 5 or more people without washing?

Also, clothes in retail stores have fire-retardant on them as a precaution against fires. This can be absorbed through your blood stream and stored in your liver if you wear them right off the rack.

Yikes!

Old 10-20-2008, 06:00 AM

8,965 posts, read 20,391,085 times
We always wash clothes that are stores. Just too many "hands" could have touched them! Packaged underwear doesn't need to be washed. But, any underwear that is not in a package (mens dress socks, ladies bras, etc) also need to be washed before wearing. If you want to try them on for a minute, to make sure of the fit, that is ok, but to wear non-packaged clothes/underwear all day......not us. We wash FIRST!!

Old 10-20-2008, 06:12 AM

347 posts, read 1,095,336 times
I always wash before I wear anything! Always have.

For one, I don't think any items get washed at any point in their manufacturing process... right from yarn to outfit. And they have just been in too many places. Whether they are bagged or not, who knows who tried them out before you? A friend of mine once tried on a tank from a 3-pk bag (they all usually open easily without ripping), decided she needed a smaller size, and then returned it. And she reeks of cigarettes!

Besides, I've seen employess stack stuff at stores, even high end stores like Belk. They dump stuff on the floor, then proceed to fold and neatly shelve it. And more than once have I seen someone step on an item. Think of where their shoes have been- the slushy wet outside? the dirty mens bathroom floor??? Imagine wearing that afterwards! Just not hygenic, IMO.

And of course, the other reason is what if it shrank, or ran color- when it claims it won't? I can always return it asap before the return period expires. Or get a bigger size (coz it shrinks) while they still have them in stock.

Old 10-20-2008, 06:52 AM

1,105 posts, read 4,572,209 times
I wash my clothes before I wear them now, although it is more of a recent thing for these two reasons:

1. I was told by a pretty reliable source that you can get ringworm, you know the fungus, from clothes
2. I was also told that it is not uncommon for other parasites to be transferred via unwashed clothing particularly those made in countries like China, etc.

Old 10-20-2008, 01:50 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,275,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn02674 View Post
I wash my clothes before I wear them now, although it is more of a recent thing for these two reasons:

1. I was told by a pretty reliable source that you can get ringworm, you know the fungus, from clothes
2. I was also told that it is not uncommon for other parasites to be transferred via unwashed clothing particularly those made in countries like China, etc.

True. I got a tinea from a stupid wench that wore my apron at a job. It was a pain to get rid of. It wasnt ringworm but versacolor. But GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR> I wanted to kill her.
Who borrows stuff when they have a nasty rash and then just puts it back!!!

Old 10-20-2008, 02:23 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,055,119 times
I wore a shirt to a dance that I had just bought that day and while dancing I felt a sharp pain in my arm, then it was itching all night. When I got home that night and took the shirt off, I had what appeared to be a spider bite - a big hole from a stinger in my arm and the sides raised. It hurt for about two weeks and was red and itchy. Eventually it went away, but I think there was a spider or some kind of critter hidden in the sleeve. After that incident, I wash what is washable before I wear it and the other stuff I have drycleaned before I wear it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty