Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2011, 10:01 PM

2,035 posts, read 3,352,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sues1 View Post
Dolly Parton who i absolutely adore is starting to look horrible, she was beautiful before all the work she's had done, now she looks downright scary, i don't get it
I agree - and i think that happens A LOT of the time.

That's when you look at the person, and KNOW how horrible they felt about aging - it's right there and obvious! Plus they turn out looking like a scary monster.

And i think the families who lost those who had plastic surgery would agree that it's NOT worth it.

I totally feel like anyone can do whatever they want - it's when someone starts trying to dictate what everyone else should do, or feels like their way is THE only way - that i have a problem with it. Every single person is not insecure about aging, and it's wrong to say they are.

If you constantly fear getting older, i cant imagine how you enjoy life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 02:53 AM

1,349 posts, read 664,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemon&lime View Post
Yeah the French thing.......I've read French women use bioidentical hormone replacement therapy, do anti aging skincare starting in their late teens & 20s, love to diet, ..........sounds super vain to me! The reason the French value women over 35 is theyve maintained themselves well....in America if you do the same thing you're "resisting the aging proces".
It is true that we have a different aproach to beauty. Young girls are "taught" to go and see an esthetician regularly from the age of puberty and then, as an adult, every month or so. (and they see their mother do it, too)

I don't even know what bioidentical hormones replacement therapy is though, so either I'm not a French woman or maybe you've been reading things that are written about a very small fragment of the population. Don't generalize

As for diet, yes probably. As in the ancient meaning of the term : way of life. Although obesity, as in every western country, is sadly pointing its nose, most french women and men tend to diet to lose 10 pounds, certainly not 200. As a personal example, I've stopped struggling with my weight when I stopped dieting altogether. Just balance my meals on a week schedule and listen to what my body needs.

But, even if you have a point, I'm not sure women over 35 are considered most attractive here only because they've taken care of themselves (in a culture that is so attached to appearances, that's a given), it's truly because young girls, even very beautiful, are considered as "in the making" (not sure that is correct english, hope you get what I mean), not wholly finished.

But as for resisting the aging process, we also have the same frown-upon attitude here. It just doesn't concern women under 65/70 at least We are of a culture that believes very much in the "less is more" attitude. We have many more hang-ups about surgical cometology for example. Not that nobody does it, understand me, just it should never be seen if some work has been done. When I look at some of the pictures here, I'm terrified. They don't tell me of a woman who respects herself, they tell me of a woman who's completely freaking out about aging. And that's not good in my book

Aging is fine, who would want to stay at the same stage all their lives? But I intend to make my age, whichever it is, proud. And that is, respect it and not act as a young teen. Doesn't mean letting myself go, though.

Thanks for your input!

Old 03-16-2011, 02:58 AM

I will add that we tend to value, in terms of beauty, what is different, not barbie look-alikes. A small defect in a look is attractice here. One of the most beautiful women I've ever seen (and men agreed very much with that statement, you should have seen how she was pursued!) had a huge scar on her left cheek. It was fascinating as it followed the line of her jaw. Absolutely beautiful, it made her look mysterious and kind of dangerous, rather than just the next pretty girl.

Same goes with fashion. Classic (nearing boring) but with a personal twitch. And, even if you wear the best and most expensive labels, nobody should EVER know, we're not a walking commercial.

I've seen you're interested in french fashion, so I hope this will interest you :-)

Old 03-16-2011, 03:16 AM

Oh please, let her stop posting (I'm mimicking the thoughts in your head). Someone told me I should post more and that was a very bad advice!

Just to say that I'm not creating that stuff about age:

French Women Don't Get Fat and Do Get Lucky - washingtonpost.com

Articles about this were published recently but it seems my googling skills aren't that good, sorry about the 2008 quote.

I don't mean that as a moral lesson or a preach or anything, just a little tongue-in-cheek thing... Wouldn't americans enjoy life better that way too?

(and I'm not being franco-centrist, just it seems that on the web french women are, for some strange reason, considered somewhat "different" It's not true!! Ask my spanish friend's grandmother how delighted - even if shocked - when a young italian guy offered her a rose just to pride her beauty)

Old 03-16-2011, 07:54 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,712,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemon&lime View Post
Why should she? She's healthy & happy-- I think that's what matters most.
If you think being healthy and happy matter most, then why do you spend so much time talking about how great Suzanne Somers looks when the truth is that because of either botched or too much plastic surgery she looks like crap. If it were a matter of being healthy and happy, she could have left herself alone. She may be healthy, but she's clearly not happy or she would not have resorted to drastic measures to try and keep from aging.

Old 03-16-2011, 02:22 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,285,680 times
Suzanne has an active lifestyle and career, is constantly campaigning for her health cause, says she has sex every day lol .... I feel quite certain she is a very happy woman, who just happens to hop on every thing she can to stay young. That is most certainly her prerogative.

Frankly my only criticism of her is that she seems to have leathery skin from sun damage.... she writes in pretty much all her books about her gardening and outdoorsy type things she like to do. Hello, that is why she has to battle with her skin and has procedures etc. I have no quibble with it-- it's her face.

Also, it would be great if she would hire a stylist and stop making public appearances in bad color choices like red, white and black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
If you think being healthy and happy matter most, then why do you spend so much time talking about how great Suzanne Somers looks when the truth is that because of either botched or too much plastic surgery she looks like crap. If it were a matter of being healthy and happy, she could have left herself alone. She may be healthy, but she's clearly not happy or she would not have resorted to drastic measures to try and keep from aging.

Old 03-16-2011, 07:06 PM

932 posts, read 1,177,816 times
I totally disagree with this stupid thread anyway. To me, women are most ripe and most attractive when in their mid to late 30's. There's nothing sexier than a horny 37 year old woman, IMO. Women in their 20's are generally too immature, but a woman in her mid 30's is the epitome of sexy.

Old 03-17-2011, 08:31 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,539,581 times
I've noticed more women in their late 30s or 40s that look better than quite a few 20 something yr olds. I guess women tend to take care of themselves nowdays than the 80s or 90s.

Old 03-17-2011, 10:30 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,052,779 times
I think Suzanne looks great - she has made the most out of what she has and probably has had some work done along the way. A little heavy on the makeup but then she is in a business where women wear lots of makeup. She doesn't look freaky or weird or anythng.

Old 03-18-2011, 06:52 AM

1,828 posts, read 3,459,316 times
B. Smith at age 61 and no surgery whatsoever. lol It dont crack. lol
http://www.ourhousemagonline.com/2009.summer/images/feature1image-small.jpg (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty