Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2012, 05:24 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,839,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampbird View Post
It comes down to genetics, taking care of yourself, and fate. I got cancer at 44 and it aged me 10 years. Sometimes sh** just happens that you can't control. Just because someone looks older than their age, you can't assume they didn't take care of themselves or are raging alcoholics.
I wish people would understand that. My ex smoked all the time but yet his skin isn't wrinkled. He eats crap and stays thin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 08:38 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
I have never understood defining "looks" for women with "looking like you're a teenager with flawless skin and a perfect body."

Why is this okay for women but not for men?

If all men were required to look like male models, this double standard would vanish. It's ridiculous. Why spend your whole life obsessing over your looks?

Keeping your body clean and groomed is different than holding yourself to a nearly impossible standard of beauty. Models don't even look like they seem to look in print ads.

/smh

Old 07-31-2012, 11:43 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,610,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
I have never understood defining "looks" for women with "looking like you're a teenager with flawless skin and a perfect body."

Why is this okay for women but not for men?

If all men were required to look like male models, this double standard would vanish. It's ridiculous. Why spend your whole life obsessing over your looks?

Keeping your body clean and groomed is different than holding yourself to a nearly impossible standard of beauty. Models don't even look like they seem to look in print ads.

/smh
True.

When they decide to stop airbrushing photos and print ads, let me know. I know there were a few women's groups fighting against this.

Old 07-31-2012, 11:53 AM

3,426 posts, read 8,908,318 times
Black women age the best as proven by Stacey Dash and Halle

Old 07-31-2012, 11:55 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ming Ming View Post
Women are beautiful at any age, it's men that tell us we're unattractive over a certain age. Hollywood doesn't help either.
It would be a brave man to tell his wife she's no longer attractive..

Old 07-31-2012, 12:15 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,782,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
Black women age the best as proven by Stacey Dash and Halle
I'd put a vote in for Asian women as well. They look so young for so long, before age catches up with them all at once. I think this sums it up pretty well.

Old 07-31-2012, 12:15 PM

1,189 posts, read 1,757,722 times
I know alot of women who actually look better now, than they did 20 years ago when they were in their teens and twenties. That statement is just crap. And no one wakes up on their 35th birthday with their looks gone magically, or even partially gone. That is just stupid.

I am 43 and when I meet people they think I am in my 20's. I have even had to pull out the ID on occassion. And trust me I am no supermodel. We just age pretty well in my family. Its all about genes and healthy living. And I don't eat healthy or exercise, though I am changing that as we speak. My sister-in-law is 63 and looks 40. She is amazingly beautiful and takes such good care of herself and is a sun worshiper.

Old 07-31-2012, 12:17 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
It would be a brave man to tell his wife she's no longer attractive..
Well, brave or not, he better be some kinda wonderful (and an exception to the natural laws of nature) b/c most men by 65 are at least partially bald, have bellies, flabby arms and butts (and that all starts somewhere around 40!). . . They eventually tend towards puffy faces, lots of wrinkles, age spots and unless they have spent a lot of time and effort on dental health - they will either have bad teeth, dentures or need dental work.

So . . . let's see how many of them are brave enough to face the mirror and see how unattractive they are b/f they start in on their wives.

Old 07-31-2012, 12:39 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
I thought nthe topic was about women losing their looks,

Old 07-31-2012, 12:52 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
I'd put a vote in for Asian women as well. They look so young for so long, before age catches up with them all at once. I think this sums it up pretty well.
Very true. Very good odds if you are black (or any fraction thereof) or asian, you'll age well.

My mom looks anywhere from 15-20 years younger. Same with her siblings. They are in their mid to late 60s.

It is harder to age well if you are a very fair white person, unless you are good about using sunscreen.

Everyone increases their odds with sunscreen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty