Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 09:12 PM

4,868 posts, read 8,411,220 times

Advertisements

because I look too young (I'm 24). So how do I do that? I have tons of business clothes that I can't even wear because our dress code is black and white and only black bottoms with white top or a solid black dress. I can't wear heels that are more than 2 inches high cause I'm on my feet the whole time.

I'm more at a loss at what to do with my hair to "mature" it I guess. I'm not very good with it. I don't really want to chop it off either .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 09:20 PM
Itz

714 posts, read 2,199,579 times
Without knowing how you "dress" currently its hard to describe how to "mature" it up a bit. heres a good site on pointers on how to "mature" it up
corporate, business, dress code, appearance, attire, image, presentation, style, colour analysis, women, personal, presentation, skin care, makeup

Old 04-06-2011, 09:27 PM

oooh, I'm gonna book mark that link! thank you so much!

Old 04-06-2011, 09:35 PM

1,216 posts, read 1,464,328 times
I know nothing about how you normally dress but I can tell you what I think when I hear the word mature. I think less revealing clothing and minimized accessories. From the sounds of the dress code they want you to fade into the background and not stand out as an individual.

Like I said, I don't know if this applies to you, that is just what I think when someone talks about looking more mature.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaleyRocks View Post
I know nothing about how you normally dress but I can tell you what I think when I hear the word mature. I think less revealing clothing and minimized accessories. From the sounds of the dress code they want you to fade into the background and not stand out as an individual.

Like I said, I don't know if this applies to you, that is just what I think when someone talks about looking more mature.
The way I dress in my profile pics are the gist of what I wear but not at work. I know how to dress professionally. I'm just thrown off by this strict dress code.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:47 PM

1,216 posts, read 1,464,328 times
I didn't know there are profile pics on here. I wasn't commenting on your appearance per se, just on my take of the description mature. I work with a 24 year old who wears very low cut blouses and pretty heavy eye make up and that is what immediatley came to mind when I ready your post.

When I worked for a corporation they were really strict too, no tatooes or piercings other than one on each lobe, men had to be in full suits, girls had to have skirts a certain length and always wear nylons or slacks, and jewlery had to be minimal. Didn't bother me but I knew some people who hated it (especially the nylons, really who wears those anymore?)They would send people home to change if they violated dress code.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaleyRocks View Post
I didn't know there are profile pics on here. I wasn't commenting on your appearance per se, just on my take of the description mature. I work with a 24 year old who wears very low cut blouses and pretty heavy eye make up and that is what immediatley came to mind when I ready your post.

When I worked for a corporation they were really strict too, no tatooes or piercings other than one on each lobe, men had to be in full suits, girls had to have skirts a certain length and always wear nylons or slacks, and jewlery had to be minimal. Didn't bother me but I knew some people who hated it (especially the nylons, really who wears those anymore?)They would send people home to change if they violated dress code.
wow..I hate nylons..I can barely stand my dance tights.

ya I just mentioned the pics so you have an idea that I don't dress like an idiot.

Old 04-06-2011, 10:11 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
What sort of company is it?

Old 04-06-2011, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
What sort of company is it?
retail, jewelry.

Old 04-07-2011, 05:39 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
In this case, it sounds like he's trying to tell you politely that you're dressing too skimpily.

Skirts: no shorter than an inch above the knee. A-lines preferred.
Tops: no jersey material; button-downs must not gape, and necklines must be up by the collarbone (if you wear a men's tee-shirt, that neckline is just above the collarbone. Your necklines can go an inch or two below that, but no lower).
Shoes: no open-toed, no open-backed.
Hair: pull it back into a *low* ponytail, or into a bun. No Chrissie Snow stuff, and no wild free flower-child loose stuff.
Jewelry: Tasteful; wear real gold, real silver, real gems. No more than 2 rings per hand, 1 earring per ear, no facial piercings, and bracelets should not have noisy charms dangling off them to distract customers (unless your boss asks you to show off one of the store's products).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty