Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 04:09 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,030,837 times

Advertisements

The Situation claims that these three activities are vital to ensuring a successful night out, which in Situation speak means looking good enough and being confident enough to succeed with the ladies.

I like to work out, I keep a good skin tone (mostly naturally), and I try to dress nicely. However, I'm not sure that GTL is the be-all-and-end-all that they make it out to be on Jersey Shore.

When I was in college, shaggy hair, beer bellies, and a general unkempt appearance were actually seen as fashionable. I was a clean cut, decent looking guy who hit the gym (I still am), and I pulled less tail than a lot of sloppy losers. I'm 28 now, but I still see college kids embracing this style, so I'm guessing not much has changed.

In areas where hipsters have a strong presence, it is frequently the pale, skinny, pierced guys who have the best luck. A well-dressed guy with a tan and muscles is viewed as shallow or a conformist.

In summation, I think it depends on where you live and what crowd you run with. In South Beach, GTL is king. In Asheville, North Carolina, not so much.

Just for fun, how important is GTL where you live and socialize? Is it important that a guy have a buff body, a good tan, and clean, pressed, trendy clothes to pick up the chicks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 04:43 PM

89 posts, read 230,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpy View Post
The Situation claims that these three activities are vital to ensuring a successful night out, which in Situation speak means looking good enough and being confident enough to succeed with the ladies.

I like to work out, I keep a good skin tone (mostly naturally), and I try to dress nicely. However, I'm not sure that GTL is the be-all-and-end-all that they make it out to be on Jersey Shore.

When I was in college, shaggy hair, beer bellies, and a general unkempt appearance were actually seen as fashionable. I was a clean cut, decent looking guy who hit the gym (I still am), and I pulled less tail than a lot of sloppy losers. I'm 28 now, but I still see college kids embracing this style, so I'm guessing not much has changed.

In areas where hipsters have a strong presence, it is frequently the pale, skinny, pierced guys who have the best luck. A well-dressed guy with a tan and muscles is viewed as shallow or a conformist.

In summation, I think it depends on where you live and what crowd you run with. In South Beach, GTL is king. In Asheville, North Carolina, not so much.

Just for fun, how important is GTL where you live and socialize? Is it important that a guy have a buff body, a good tan, and clean, pressed, trendy clothes to pick up the chicks?
Well I live in Paris, you can find all type of people and every one has different tastes, I agree with you when you've said it depends on what crowd you run with, amoung me and my people the "good" look is tanned muscled tattooed or not, and dress fashionnable, you'd have success here I think.

Old 04-13-2011, 05:00 PM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
In my universe, anyone who looks to Jersey Shore for lifestyle and fashion advice should be avoided at all costs.

Old 04-13-2011, 05:43 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,816,509 times
I enjoy having friends who have a true personality and could not care less about what everyone else wears or does.

Old 04-13-2011, 11:16 PM

2,035 posts, read 3,352,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
In my universe, anyone who looks to Jersey Shore for lifestyle and fashion advice should be avoided at all costs.
ditto

Old 04-14-2011, 05:48 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
I live in the plastic city of Miami, this is the home of GTL. If that is not your mantra, you are a loser here. No one cares about careers, degrees, it is live with as many friends as you can, or Mama, have a hot car, and GTL your life.

Old 04-14-2011, 06:01 AM

896 posts, read 268,414 times
Snooki? Is that you?

comon' wez need to get ready to party

Old 04-14-2011, 06:34 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
Fake tans (whether from a bottle or a booth) turn me off. I don't see a lot of them in the Chicago area. Maybe it's more of a coastal thing.

Old 04-14-2011, 08:24 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpy View Post
its interesting when people try to come up with excuses for their lack of success with women. i like yours that the supposedly the girls actually preferred fat slobs over clean cut good looking guys. i dont buy that.

Old 04-14-2011, 08:32 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,030,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
its interesting when people try to come up with excuses for their lack of success with women. i like yours that the supposedly the girls actually preferred fat slobs over clean cut good looking guys. i dont buy that.
I never said I had a lack of success. I pulled a decent amount of tail in college. My point was that some of the biggest ladies' men I knew were unkempt and sloppy, and that a lot of women I went to school with were actually attracted to that look. That is a fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty