Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 03:19 PM

860 posts, read 2,716,871 times

Advertisements

So if you have seen any of the Royal Wedding coverage by now (get out from under your rock if not!) you have seen those wacky little pill box/beenie creations that spout, oh say, feathers, poufs, bows,flowers and in the case of Miss Beckham a stunning spray of black sparkle twigs as if plucked from the Hobby Lobby. The cheeky offspring of shunned Fergie wore a vertical platter of blush swirls that hovered in a disconcerting fashion over her brow. But every one seemed to match its outfit beneath.

Looking out over the hushed Abbey crowd, these fascinators, along with the more usual full brimmed hats, were like impudent Yorkies barking amidst the solemn scene- "look at me, look at me!".

Does anyone think these nutty little chapeaus will see a rise in popularity? or will they remain as a peculiarity of the odd British fashion customs??

Oh how I wish Elton John had worn one

Last edited by hart4july; 04-29-2011 at 03:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2011, 03:22 PM

29,747 posts, read 34,404,163 times
I loved them. Even Princess Beatrice's forehead pretzel. It would be so great if hats made a resurgence in the States.

Old 04-29-2011, 03:48 PM

LOL- forehead pretzel!

Old 04-29-2011, 04:05 PM

806 posts, read 2,341,998 times
I couldn't believe the pretzel!! What was she thinking!!

I thought Victoria Beckham looked foolish, with her glad bag dress and weird hat that was going to fall off if she sneezed!

Old 04-29-2011, 04:06 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times
The first one I ever saw was on Camilla's head the day she married Chuck. I kept wondering, "Why does she have a sprig of wheat in her hair?"

Which should tell you how I feel about them.

(Sir Elton was a total let-down. A light blue waistcoat was the best he could do? SMH.)

BTW: Hobby Lobby is right. I kept thinking too many people had a glue gun at their disposal. Even the "hats" were a dowdy collection of cheap straw and doo-dads. Where's the craftsmanship? Where's the beauty?

Where's the taste?

Old 04-29-2011, 04:07 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,712,192 times
Black sparkle twigs! Nutty chapeaux! Forehead pretzels! Must see pics.

Old 04-29-2011, 04:29 PM

There is a photo montage on AOL. Sorry my Geek Squad is not here to download pix for me(teen daughters)!
We are not exaggerating though, as you will see!

Old 04-29-2011, 05:33 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,312,552 times
I love fascinators and have been into them for years. I regret that I did not have one for my wedding, but it just didn't fit the venue or my dress. I have some that I like to wear to parties and events. Nothing as ostentatious as what was worn at the royal wedding - but I always receive compliments on them.

That forehead pretzel was unfortunate. I liked Victoria Beckham's get up, though it might have looked more in place at a fashion show or funeral than a wedding.

Old 04-29-2011, 05:34 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,458,970 times
These two get first prize!

Spoiler

The men reminded me of birds, proud peacocks strutting around in their military dress and the hens all lined up trying to out-do each other with the most attention grabbing hat. The hats the women wore today are a sign of their status. When I saw those two upstage every other female there I took it as a sign from their dear mother who was not invited to the party, that although she wasn't invited, she was there boldly represented by her daughters. For such a joyous occasion I think the British take their 'stiff upper lip' far too seriously, especially when those hats were paraded around in seriousness. How can you possibly smirk and look so sour and haughty when you're wearing an octopus on your head. Seriously...

I'm glad the royal couple was smiling because everyone there was sour faced and serious, as if they were going to an execution.

No levity at all. Same as I remember with Diana & Charles wedding. Diana was so nervous she messed up the order of her husbands name. Overwhelming stress I'm sure. The hats Eugenie and her sister wore really livened up the Abbey with a little sense of humor.

The other thing that came to mind are those extravagant oil paintings that adorn the walls of castles and in those images you see glimpses of hats extravagant like what they wore today. Honestly, I knew the images that I saw in my art history books were real, but seeing those girls today really made me think about those oil paintings by the old masters with the poufy dresses and silk pointy shoes and powdered wigs with curly coils.

They really did exist, we got a 21st century glimpse of how they looked all those years ago straight off the walls of those castles and ballrooms and hallowed halls.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Last edited by LuckyGem; 04-29-2011 at 05:51 PM..

Old 04-29-2011, 05:50 PM

I like the ones with little face veils, they are sexy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty