Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 08:00 AM

2,412 posts, read 5,100,865 times

Advertisements

Men just plain do age better. The only thing holding a middle aged man back is if he decides to fight tooth and nail against hair loss! Look at Matt Laurer. A fairly handsome man, who I'd bet anything would look just fine if he just shaved his head..but Matt's fighting it, and losing..badly.

I tell guys all the time..this ain't the seventies! It's cool to be bald. I had a lions mane in my teens and twenties. I'm American Indian. We don't go bald. I just don't have 2 hours to maintain it anymore. Most of your wild haired rockers chopped it all off. Is Jon Bon Jovi any less attractive to women these days? Hell, Howie Mandel looks better than he EVER did! Come over to our side comb overs!

Old 06-05-2011, 08:11 AM

81 posts, read 239,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1984vt View Post
Bitter, sexist, outcast is how you SOUND. I haven't noticed this transformation of plain to good looking and good looking to plain/ugly syndrome.

Men and Women age at the same rate and while men may maintain their attractiveness longer, it has nothing to do with their looks but, with their earnings. Younger women will find them attractive because they are good providers.

Youth always makes people prettier but, I have gotten more looks from young men (thanks to Demi Moore I think) as of late than ever before. I have had no surgery nor botox etc - all natural and I like the fact that mature young men are starting to notice us older women.

There may be something to the fact that good looking thin people never had to worry about their weight and did not learn healthy eating habits so they grew a bit heavy. However, in my experiences the really attractive people are still attractive. I have not been shocked by seeing my classmates age.
You come across as a woman in denial. Men and women do not age at the same rate. It all comes down to genetics and overall lifestyle. It has already been proven that most men don't age as fast as women.

Old 06-05-2011, 08:21 AM

12,336 posts, read 17,234,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-boy-80 View Post
People get ugly with age. But the way you live life in your youth will determine a lot on how you age. Lots of women-the good looking ones-used a lot of booze and used drugs. Some still smoke and drink. Add to that not exercising because you are "born" perfect. Well its a recipe for disaster. Your body can't handle stress to well, even if its unnoticed to you at the time. You are going to pay.
This is true..I find many older women to be beautiful...And it is true, self-abuse WILL catch up to you in later years, be it appearance or health problems (Keith Richards is the only exception to this rule health wise). A person who makes effort to take care of themselves will not only be healthier, but their mind will work better as well, leading (Usually) to other success such as business, creativity etc. When we are young and spry, we feel invincible-But don't realize the years passing by and many continue a hard lifestyle.

I smoked for many years, and spent even longer in the sun-No sunscreen. At 35, due to my Indian background my skin is still firm-But I think after 40 I might have to pay the piper. My consequence for my own doing.

Old 06-05-2011, 08:22 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,893,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
I think bald men are attractive!
I think men sometimes lose their attractiveness with age. i think it's partly how the person takes care of themselves,partly genetic.
Me too, but I didn't when I was 19. But then I didn't think 50 yo men were handsome when I was 19 either. Your perception of beauty certainly changes as you get older and it's a good thing.

Old 06-05-2011, 08:23 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,690,847 times
Someone else mentioned a high school reunion and I went to my 40th one several years ago and it really is a good way to compare your memories of your classmates as well as their yearbook photos with how they've aged. I didn't even recognize most of them as I'm sure they didn't recognize me. I really felt that the aging process was pretty equal with both genders at least in that group. It also went from one extreme to the other. There were men and women who looked like they lived in old folks homes but there were also very healthy and attractive individuals as well. I remember one of the women was a knockout and could have passed for 35. It's just a matter of lifestyle and the luck or bad luck of your genetics for the most part.

Old 06-05-2011, 08:35 AM

4,721 posts, read 5,337,829 times
I haven't noticed this particular phenomenon. I do think it is coming from people that felt unattractive in highschool, so they are looking at the popular ones and judging them more harshly than the rest.

Last edited by Georgianbelle; 06-05-2011 at 09:20 AM..

Old 06-05-2011, 08:46 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,726,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by optiflex View Post
Men just plain do age better. The only thing holding a middle aged man back is if he decides to fight tooth and nail against hair loss! Look at Matt Laurer. A fairly handsome man, who I'd bet anything would look just fine if he just shaved his head..but Matt's fighting it, and losing..badly.

I tell guys all the time..this ain't the seventies! It's cool to be bald. I had a lions mane in my teens and twenties. I'm American Indian. We don't go bald. I just don't have 2 hours to maintain it anymore. Most of your wild haired rockers chopped it all off. Is Jon Bon Jovi any less attractive to women these days? Hell, Howie Mandel looks better than he EVER did! Come over to our side comb overs!
If men really do age better, then why do successful gay men almost exclusively chase after younger guys? We know it has nothing to do with a biological drive. So why don't they date men their own age since men age so well?

ian-mckellen-shirtless-01.jpg (image)

Old 06-05-2011, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prinessdanika99 View Post
You come across as a woman in denial. Men and women do not age at the same rate. It all comes down to genetics and overall lifestyle. It has already been proven that most men don't age as fast as women.
OK, I'd love a link to this proof.

Old 06-05-2011, 08:52 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,970,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prinessdanika99 View Post
I don't think it's about gender because some women and some men age very well and others look old by age 30.

What traditionally helps men is their wallets tend to fatten with age. The poor homeless older guy isn't really all that attractive to certain younger women as is the fat balding banker or CEO or movie star.

Old 06-05-2011, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I don't think it's about gender because some women and some men age very well and others look old by age 30.

What traditionally helps men is their wallets tend to fatten with age. The poor homeless older guy isn't really all that attractive to certain younger women as is the fat balding banker or CEO or movie star.
Truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty