Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 10:24 AM

2,053 posts, read 4,819,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hart4july View Post
I think for SOME people this is true, but women especially who already have an angular face can get a gaunt and haggard look when they become too thin. When they are older this is really true.

Catherine Deneuve quoted "when you are over 30 you have to choose between your face and your a$$!". I believe in the best weight for the person, not that every one should be as thin as possible.
What an intelligent post.
At last someone who says weight is something that should be regarded according to each individual, as opposed to the usual "let's all look stick thin and beautiful".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2011, 11:04 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,685,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemon&lime View Post
Most Hollywood celebs & models maintain ridiculously low body fat %s . Few have 17-20% body fat, more like < 15%. Kim Kardashian is the new exception & imo she could lose a little.
A bit of face fat looks better not worse on women. This is why virtually all older female celebs & models with low body fat have collagen injected into their faces: fat fills in the wrinkles; collagen is a substitution for it.

As an example, compare two women over 50 with very low body fat.

Maria Shriver, very low body fat, looks like no plastic surgery. Note her deflated cheeks droop, and also look at the vertical lines along her cheeks. In addition, her nasolabial folds are very deep.

http://blogs.courant.com/on_backgrou...auguration.JPG

And here is Madonna, also very low body fat. Note how round her face is due to collagen injections (or they may literally be fat injections), the puffiness fills in wrinkles associated with age:

http://images.mirror.co.uk/upl/m4/ap...-780380781.jpg

Now if you compare an average 50 year old woman who is about 20 pounds overweight, her face is going to look far less wrinkled than Maria Shriver (and what Madonna would look like without the work).

For our fat chick let's look at Rosie O'Donnell. (She is a couple years younger than Madonna I think, but she's the only example I could think of. And the pic is less recent, but I think it shows my point.)
It appears she has had no plastic surgery; note her cheeks are nice and plump with no vertical lines. Compare her faced to her then-girlfriend who is thinner AND younger in the pic. Her thin girlfriend has quite a few vertical cheek lines which are visible due to her low body fat. Her nasolabial folds are much deeper than Rosie's too.

http://www.bittenandbound.com/wp-con...nter-Split.jpg

Old 06-26-2011, 12:25 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,651,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemon&lime View Post
Most Hollywood celebs & models maintain ridiculously low body fat %s . Few have 17-20% body fat, more like < 15%. Kim Kardashian is the new exception & imo she could lose a little.

Originally, curvy voluptuous women in Hollywood was the norm. Look at old pictures of Veronica Lake, Sophia Loren, Elizabeth Taylor, Marilyn Monroe, Mae West!

All gorgeous women, all curvy. Personally, I think the ultra skinny models/celebs look more like young boys. I really can't stand Kim Kardashian, but I will admit she has a very enviable body.

Old 06-26-2011, 08:16 PM

860 posts, read 2,718,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
Those are not real articles. They are content mill articles, written by hobbyists for a penny per word, perhaps less. It depresses me that people can't tell the difference. We as a society just keep getting dumbed down more and more.
I could tell the difference!

Old 06-26-2011, 08:31 PM

10,177 posts, read 20,798,736 times
Most people after the age of 35 who lose weight, particularly in the face, tend to look older. Especially if they lose a lot of weight. It's a trade-off. Have you seen Drew Carey lately, he looks as though he aged 3 decades from his weight loss. You really need to lose it very gradually.

Old 06-26-2011, 08:32 PM

860 posts, read 2,718,070 times
Maria Shriver, very low body fat, looks like no plastic surgery. Note her deflated cheeks droop, and also look at the vertical lines along her cheeks. In addition, her nasolabial folds are very deep.

http://blogs.courant.com/on_backgrou...auguration.JPG

And here is Madonna, also very low body fat. Note how round her face is due to collagen injections (or they may literally be fat injections), the puffiness fills in wrinkles associated with age:

http://images.mirror.co.uk/upl/m4/ap...-780380781.jpg

Now if you compare an average 50 year old woman who is about 20 pounds overweight, her face is going to look far less wrinkled than Maria Shriver (and what Madonna would look like without the work).

All of the above is OngletNYC, though it did not show as a quote??

Onglet, Madonna and Maria are exactly who I am thinking of as examples of women who sacrifice facial beauty to have a fit and thin body. Their bodies look great but their faces not so much. Women like Valerie Bertinelli and Christie Brinklie however, are chubby faced and can be rather thin and still look young. I like the way Bertinelli is aging. She looks girlish,love her hair.

Raquel Welch and Sophia Loren are perfect examples of senior women who let themselves put on a modest amount of weight and look good overall. Princess Kate is an example of a young woman who probably has to stay very thin to have a photogenic face, due to her full cheeks, but she will age well!

At 42, I know that if I diet down to a size 4 I will get that super flat tummy but I swear I will look all my years. I can't afford facial fillers! I am a size 8,10 in jeans and my face thanks me for it! (It also thanks me for not smoking or sunning it).

Also girls, FAT CARRIES ESTROGEN!! and estrogen=femininity, much as I hate to get a certain someone started on early "la meno"

Old 06-26-2011, 11:06 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,289,434 times
No exercising and staying in shape have many health and anti aging benefits. I agree Madonna has taken it too far but that's cause she's been on that low protein macro diet for years. A lower body fat of 15-20% is the best look for females at all ages. Demi Moore is super fit with low body fat, she is almost 50 but passes for late 20s or 30 something.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:32 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,747,123 times
I am not sure about women, but I have been told by Mrs Chamataka and other ladies I look more handsome with flesh on the face.

I gained nearly 12 pounds recently owing to a lot of eating , but prior to this, at about 161 pounds, my fiancee told me I looked starved and gaunt Not the kind of thing one wants to hear from the babes. But I am getting back to the 161 pounds and less in a few days.

I may have to mask the ugly getting face with longer mane

Old 06-27-2011, 11:44 AM

1,603 posts, read 3,252,706 times
And yet another thread on fat/thin, wrinkles/no wrinkles ...

I have this question to pose to the world ...

"Why does it matter to you if someone whom you've never met before is overweight or has wrinkles?"

I'm very curious about the responses.

Old 06-28-2011, 10:14 AM

2,296 posts, read 6,289,434 times
It's just an article.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty