Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 07:13 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,816,509 times

Advertisements

Actually, I care more about quality than quantity.

It annoys me to tears to see a closet full of clothes that need to be replaced after a few washes. Yes, they are nice when one buys them, but I am sure they won't look the same in a (very) short while.
Some stuff should come with "almost-disposable" written on the label as well as washing instructions...

And there is no two ways about it, even if there is a huge brand stamped on whatever one buys (bc some people absolutely must know there is the fancy brand thing going on before they buy a pair of socks) , if they are cheap, one gets what one pays for.

The design is from whoever-it-might-be, but the manufacturing... oh, that is 99-cent quality, for sure...

My ideal closet would have few but good clothes, and I guess the best dresser is the one who knows how to combine clothing items so that they look great without looking boring or repetitive and without necessarily needing an enormous variety to be paired with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2011, 08:10 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,546,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Blimey

I didn't even notice that. Should I exit the thread
Anyone is welcome ... feel free to chime in !

Old 08-21-2011, 08:50 PM

5,014 posts, read 10,696,212 times
When I go to my closet and have a few things to choose from rather than the dreaded, "I have nothing to wear!" feeling.

Old 08-21-2011, 08:55 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
I live in a vintage home that accordingly has limited closet space. It was built in an era/location where people didn't maintain huge wardrobes. That causes me to limit my clothing purchases, because I very quickly simply don't have room. I try to adhere to buy something new only when I've gotten rid of something old. If something's been repurposed or donated, then I have room for something else I need.

When I switched jobs from one that was completely casual to one that is on occasion business casual, I needed to change some things up, so I did a lot of donating to make space.

Old 08-21-2011, 09:23 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaiam View Post
Actually, I care more about quality than quantity.

It annoys me to tears to see a closet full of clothes that need to be replaced after a few washes. Yes, they are nice when one buys them, but I am sure they won't look the same in a (very) short while.
Some stuff should come with "almost-disposable" written on the label as well as washing instructions...

And there is no two ways about it, even if there is a huge brand stamped on whatever one buys (bc some people absolutely must know there is the fancy brand thing going on before they buy a pair of socks) , if they are cheap, one gets what one pays for.

The design is from whoever-it-might-be, but the manufacturing... oh, that is 99-cent quality, for sure...

My ideal closet would have few but good clothes, and I guess the best dresser is the one who knows how to combine clothing items so that they look great without looking boring or repetitive and without necessarily needing an enormous variety to be paired with.
really? I buy fairly inexpensive clothes, wash them in cold water and hang them up (no matter what the instructions say) and they last for years.

Old 08-21-2011, 09:46 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,546,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
really? I buy fairly inexpensive clothes, wash them in cold water and hang them up (no matter what the instructions say) and they last for years.
I have the same experience.

I have a pair of black trousers/slacks that I bought at Target at least 5 years ago, if not longer, and they are still going strong. I believe I paid about $24 for them.

I have a lot of other clothes from "cheap" places such as Target and Old Navy that have also lasted for years.

I have a great secret for anyone who wants to get their whites super-super white- find the powdered version of Biz bleach. Read the instructions on the side for how to do an overnight soak.

In the morning, the water will be brown, and when you pull your whites from the dryer (or clothesline), they will be super bright white.

This is particularly good for underarm stains and general yellowing that happens to whites. I have shirts that I've had for years that look brand new due to powdered Biz. It also works on other light colors as well, as long as the label says "non chlorine bleach" safe or something similar.

Old 08-22-2011, 05:07 AM

240 posts, read 420,316 times
If something doesn't fit anymore (either too big or too small) and I don't wear something for a while (like over 4 months), I give them away and donate them to thrift stores. And then I just buy some newer clothes after.

Old 08-22-2011, 09:16 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E E View Post
I have the same experience.

I have a pair of black trousers/slacks that I bought at Target at least 5 years ago, if not longer, and they are still going strong. I believe I paid about $24 for them.

I have a lot of other clothes from "cheap" places such as Target and Old Navy that have also lasted for years.

I have a great secret for anyone who wants to get their whites super-super white- find the powdered version of Biz bleach. Read the instructions on the side for how to do an overnight soak.

In the morning, the water will be brown, and when you pull your whites from the dryer (or clothesline), they will be super bright white.

This is particularly good for underarm stains and general yellowing that happens to whites. I have shirts that I've had for years that look brand new due to powdered Biz. It also works on other light colors as well, as long as the label says "non chlorine bleach" safe or something similar.
great tip! thanks! I don't shop at Old Navy much any more, but I have some of their pants that are several years old and still in good shape.

Old 08-22-2011, 10:27 AM

87 posts, read 136,608 times
When nearly 25% of the clothes hanging in my closet still have tags on them.

I don't think I can ever have enough but I do purge the items I don't use every Fall and Spring season. Either toss it out, give it to thrift stores, or for designer duds..I sell them online.

My work clothes are designer labels and I never get rid of those. My casual clothes are cheaper and typically trendy so it goes out of season fast...those are the ones I purge to make room for more.

Last edited by OCtoWPB; 08-22-2011 at 11:10 AM..

Old 08-22-2011, 10:34 AM

2,727 posts, read 6,154,641 times
When I pull something out of the closet and it still has tags on it saying "Filene's" but it got shoved in the back by all the other new clothes. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty