Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 11:35 AM

3,565 posts, read 7,976,416 times

Advertisements

I'm 25 and tend to wear my cordovan Ecco loafers, brown socks, well-fitting Levi's 527s, and well-fitting Ralph Lauren polos, or sweaters, or henleys, and sometimes semi-dressy, button-collar, long-sleeve shirts. I don't ever wear logo tee shirts or anything like that. On top of all that, the past couple of years I've been wearing a black, wool zip-up coat in winter.

My shoes: ECCO BERLIN SLIP ON 049804 DRESS SHOES MENS RUST 12 46 on eBay!

Could this look be intimidating to anybody? Too serious? Too old man? Basically, could it detract girls who I might be interested in?

I'll add, I'm 5'6", 160lbs, decent-to-good looking, and clean cut.

~MoKan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2011, 11:39 AM

836 posts, read 2,947,649 times
You dress like a dude of 30 - 40 years.

Yep, it would look snob in a man in his twenties, if you want to be attractive to girls in your age range, go to AE and dress like every one else.

Old 10-26-2011, 12:05 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,863,876 times
Wear what you want to wear and what's comfortable for you. There are plenty of girls who go for the tidy, slightly preppy look, especially girls who want a guy who want a dependable guy with a good job.

The only thing I'd really change are the shoes...I would go with a more casual pair to go with jeans, something not so shiny.

Old 10-26-2011, 12:11 PM

1,361 posts, read 3,713,641 times
Depends on where you live. Here in the DC Area, the way you dress is normal for young people because DC is so conservative. Dressing conservative conveys that you are successful and you have a good job. Dressing like a thug will either make you look like a criminal or a wannabe. Dressing like a police officer will make people think you are a cop lol. Get it? If you wear baseball caps, jeans and sneakers and you don't live in the ghetto in DC, no one will take you seriously. Especially the women. All in all, just be yourself. Don't feel like you should change the way you dress just to get a date. I would never neuter my personality for any woman.

Old 10-26-2011, 01:29 PM

314 posts, read 817,155 times
I guess it's ok, just the concern of how you look is what bothers me.

Old 10-26-2011, 01:38 PM

410 posts, read 742,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mexguy View Post
You dress like a dude of 30 - 40 years.

Yep, it would look snob in a man in his twenties, if you want to be attractive to girls in your age range, go to AE and dress like every one else.
I'm in my 20s and I can honestly say that I don't know a single guy that shops at AE. I think that is more for high school students than adults.

Classy doesn't mean snobby. I say stick with your put together look.

Old 10-26-2011, 01:53 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,709,514 times
I would think that you had a job and were not a washed out drunken jock still pretending he is 19.

Old 10-26-2011, 02:13 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,976,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ybflady13 View Post
I guess it's ok, just the concern of how you look is what bothers me.
I'm more concerned with folks who have no concern for how they look.

Thanks for the positive reinforcement from those of you who provided it.

All in all, I like the way I dress and style I've fallen into. A bit conserative or traditional/preppy? That's alright because it's reflective of my personality. I'm a bit urban-centric and spend a lot of time in the city, so it works. I'll probably take it a bit further once I get around to getting more clothes.

I agree with others that brands like AE, etc. are certainly high school, even middle school. My 12-year-old sister is just now getting into that stuff. She's in that period of her life where's she's coming into social consciousness and where kids start to label themselves with clothing.

Old 10-26-2011, 03:11 PM

7,507 posts, read 4,397,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jifwittle View Post
I'm in my 20s and I can honestly say that I don't know a single guy that shops at AE. I think that is more for high school students than adults.

Classy doesn't mean snobby. I say stick with your put together look.
I do agree with you that AE is more for high school student, but it's what you wear from AE that looks good.

What the OP wear sounds fine, better than AE or A&F.

Old 10-26-2011, 03:25 PM

19,697 posts, read 20,229,050 times
"What do girls/people think of mid-20s guys who dress like this? "

Like what? I was expecting more pictures...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty