Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 02:43 PM

560 posts, read 1,291,884 times

Advertisements

Saw a young woman on metro today with a lovely face and enormous earrings that appear to have been designed to stretch out her earlobes. I suppose beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but stretching the earlobes seems like the kind of thing that will be regretted in later life.

Least favorite fashion trends-

1. Stretched earlobes
2. Hobbit hair (at least it’s not permanent)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 06:22 PM

414 posts, read 907,269 times
LOL! You always post some off the wall stuff. Keeps me on my toes.

I actually like stretched ear lobes. I had one stretched out to double zero gauge many years ago (big enough for me to easily put a drinking straw or cigarette though) and it looks just like a normal tiny earring hole now. I had it for several years too, so I don't think they are really all that permanent.

Now not sure exactly what you mean by hobbit hair though. I'm almost afraid to know....

Old 11-18-2011, 06:35 PM

722 posts, read 1,923,494 times
I remember about 15-20 years ago hearing that branding was coming into fashion!

Thankfully, I didn't know many who followed that one!

Old 11-18-2011, 09:36 PM

414 posts, read 907,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereinVA View Post
I remember about 15-20 years ago hearing that branding was coming into fashion!

Thankfully, I didn't know many who followed that one!
IIRCC Branding did become fairly popular, but mainly amongst African American males. I have seen many brands on such males, and even know a couple of guys that have them. I think it may have something to do with the fact that their skin forms keloid (I think that is the correct term/ word) scars more easily/ readily than those of lighter skinned races. Maybe someone who knows more about this than I could weigh in on it.

Old 11-19-2011, 12:02 AM

668 posts, read 2,187,122 times
There are tribes in Africa that have 'plates' in thier lower lips, and others that have huge earings in thiers, so, the things that silly Americans have, is no comparison to them. (And they think its a sin if they dont have that plate!! Because its a 'right of passage' for a girl to become a woman).

Branding? Yep, I know quite a few African American males that have scars lifted quite a bit, and almost anything can do that, from chemicals to scratches and a whole host of other things. They tell me that any cut, and its 'scar time'. Some cant even use alcohol on thier faces because of that, sheesh.

What ever fashion statement, with body piercings, has been done in africa for centuries, we are only late commers

I wish you well...

Jesse

Old 11-19-2011, 12:33 AM

429 posts, read 1,162,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworkingmenace View Post
There are tribes in Africa that have 'plates' in thier lower lips, and others that have huge earings in thiers, so, the things that silly Americans have, is no comparison to them. (And they think its a sin if they dont have that plate!! Because its a 'right of passage' for a girl to become a woman).

Branding? Yep, I know quite a few African American males that have scars lifted quite a bit, and almost anything can do that, from chemicals to scratches and a whole host of other things. They tell me that any cut, and its 'scar time'. Some cant even use alcohol on thier faces because of that, sheesh.

What ever fashion statement, with body piercings, has been done in africa for centuries, we are only late commers

I wish you well...

Jesse
There are tribes in Africa that have 'plates' in thier lower lips, and others that have huge earings in thiers, so, the things that silly Americans have, is no comparison to them.

No comparison? Hmmm. Breast and other implants? Cosmetic surgery? Botox? Tattoos in languages that the owners can't read or symbols that have no relevance to their own culture? I don't think we're in any position to call anybody else's adornments silly.

Old 11-19-2011, 10:29 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by United_Caps_Skins_Fan View Post
IIRCC Branding did become fairly popular, but mainly amongst African American males. I have seen many brands on such males, and even know a couple of guys that have them. I think it may have something to do with the fact that their skin forms keloid (I think that is the correct term/ word) scars more easily/ readily than those of lighter skinned races. Maybe someone who knows more about this than I could weigh in on it.
A lot of "branding" for African American men is tied to fraternities and it is not about being a "fashion trend".

For some black fraternities, body branding is a symbol of devotion

Branding A Popular Rite Among Black Fraternities - Sun Sentinel

Omega Psi Phi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

washingtonpost.com: Style Live: Style: Style Showcase

And just an FYI, all African Americans do not form keloid scars.

Old 11-19-2011, 01:54 PM

184 posts, read 702,922 times
fashion trends i absolutely will not miss when they eventually go out of style:

shoes with long pointed toes. ladies, they really don't make your legs look longer. they just make your feet look bigger.

billowy tops, especially of the babydoll variety. i am young, slender and fit. i am not pregnant. why does the industry want me to buy maternity wear?

drape front sweaters. why are these a thing now? they're horribly unflattering to every body type i've seen them on. they just look so... frumpy.

Old 11-19-2011, 03:00 PM

2,035 posts, read 3,351,327 times
I agree with that drapey sweater when it's REALLY long, and only like two side pieces - i dont like that. I have a couple that are shorter and more like a sweater, and they ARE flattering to me (i know, cuz my sisters told me lol).

I dont care for the HUGE ear stretchings... i do get that people are just being themselves, so i try not to judge, but i dont like the look.

I dont like the branding, but i do like tatts and piercings, and i actually want a couple micro dermals - one inside one of my tatts as a matter of fact.

I DONT like the piercings where they make a corset in the back and tie it. I believe those people def have some pain issues lol. But to each their own... i just think that that is truly body destruction and torture.

I DONT like huge platform shoes - i wore the trend back in the 70s and it got old and uncomfortable back then! I dont really wear heels anymore anyway. I have maybe one pair in case i need to get dressed up for some unknown reason...

I dont like pants that have pantlegs that are four feet wide each. We called them palazzo pants back in the day. And they are surely not for me, as i'm 5'2".

Old 11-19-2011, 04:41 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,322,318 times
Men:
Capri pants on men- http://all4manpris.files.wordpress.c...08/manpris.jpg
The frosted spiky hair- http://www.virginmedia.com/images/ju...gal-before.jpg
Skateboard haircut- http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/e...rhairstyle.jpg
Men's fashion from the late 1960s to the mid 1980s.

Women:
Uggs- http://buy2ugg.com/images/201010254834973.jpg (broken link)
The long shorts women wore in the late 1990s/early 2000s
Beehive: http://orlandoguestservices.com/graphics3/beehive.gif (broken link)
Women's fashion from the mid 1960s to the late 1970s.
Miniskirt: http://www.footiewallpapers.com/pics/m/i/mini-skirt-1960s-247x165px.jpg (broken link)

Others:
Crocs
The way people dressed from the mid 1990s to the mid 2000s, particularly teenagers and young adults.
Bell bottom pants: http://cooljeans.com.sg/files/mh401b-82a.jpg (broken link)
1970s men and women's hairstyles.

Last edited by 90sman; 11-19-2011 at 04:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty