Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2011, 01:35 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,739,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolshoi View Post
Well, it's kinda like an outlet for me, a release of some sort, especially before when I was going through rough times. I could ID with the hardships so it made me attached.
bolshoi, i appreciate that you are taking the criticism well. im probably coming off harsher than i should but i think its important for you to make the transition. i think you would anyway, how many adults that are successful dress like they come straight outta compton? you like a certain music, but it shouldnt be your identity. your identity should be a responsible adult that wants to be respected and successful.

Old 12-12-2011, 01:38 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,720,641 times
Quote:
Themanwithnoname-Yea, I agree. It's kinda hard to adapt though. It's like I have to bend for people I don't even know nor I care about or for. Feels like I would be giving in, which I don't like to do, it's almost like losing.
Blah on that. Evolution is not just losing...its just changing into something better. The only thing you lose is what you used to be. Which really is just a less complex version of who you have become. Not really a bad thing if you ask me.

Old 12-12-2011, 01:46 PM

29,755 posts, read 34,444,246 times
Wearing different clothes doesn't mean you can't still love hip hop. Nobody's going to make you listen to John Mayer because your pants aren't hanging off your butt.

Old 12-12-2011, 07:24 PM

2,664 posts, read 5,639,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
bolshoi, i appreciate that you are taking the criticism well. im probably coming off harsher than i should but i think its important for you to make the transition. i think you would anyway, how many adults that are successful dress like they come straight outta compton? you like a certain music, but it shouldnt be your identity. your identity should be a responsible adult that wants to be respected and successful.
It's all good, and it's good to hear different perspectives.

Old 12-12-2011, 07:55 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,576,271 times
Quote:
I am 25 and I been dressing like this for many yrs, but now it feels that this might represent me in a wrong way and maybe I should wear something else, since I am not a gangsta. I am just into Hip Hop music. It seems like people get the wrong impression a lot when I wear my timbs, baggy jeans and all that. I am not about blending in, but at the same time I am an adult now and many people keep telling me to wear more mature clothes, saying that I am all good and mature once you get to know me, but at the first impression I look foolish cuz of the clothes. So basically, can one wear urban clothing and not be perceived as a wigger or a gang banger? ( I am Russian in NJ)
You know man it really depends. Hip Hop has many styles You have the mature, Puff Daddy-Jay Z-Dr Dre look that any man their age can rock, but if you dress like the knuckle rappers like Waka Flocka, Plies & Dirk Diggla you may have to change your swag up. You can have the hip hop look with out looking like a criminal.

Old 12-12-2011, 07:56 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,576,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
I think Common is a good example of how to dress like that in a mature fashion. Google some pictures. He looks great.

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...F-rp0QH26omwBw
Great example!!! Common is totally hip hop.

Old 12-12-2011, 08:29 PM

lol@wacka flocka
these are the typa people giving us a bad rep plus he can't rap

Old 12-12-2011, 08:56 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,060,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
I had a Plt Sgt explain to me one time that "Perception was reality" and I Argued with him to no end... (No, reality is reality... I don't care if you think the moon is made of green cheese)

YEARS later I realized he was right!

OTHER people's perception IS THEIR reality!

In this instance, through actual (real) exposure to 'thug life' types dressed that way, and through (Fake) TV of similar, that is other people's perceptions...

Reality (For them)

You can:

-Attempt to single handedly change 'their reality'
Not gonna happen.

-Realize you are swimming upstream and adapt.
(What I have done... no matter if I wore a suit or jeans to my internship I would do the same work, and often better in the jeans due to being more relaxed!)

-Or say F**k it I don't care what people think and suffer the consequences
(Something I did in years past until I 'wised up')

For YOU it's not like 'the stinking guy analogy'... for others ... IT IS.

You have to choose from the 3 options above.
Yep...I wised up too.

Old 12-12-2011, 11:18 PM

519 posts, read 732,100 times
I'm a few years younger then you OP, I'm 19 but close to 20. I can identify with what you are talking about. I wear baggy clothes myself, and am into rap and hip hop too. Also white. I know what your saying, wearing something different makes you feel more of a stand out. Is that what your trying to pull off? Anyways, I'm about to be updating my wardrobe, getting the more fitted style myself which seems to be the in thing. It also looks better too, and helps in a more casual setting. Not skinny jeans like a Lil Wayne, but think Meek Mill(Philly) or Wale(DC) or how a lot of New York and New Jersey rappers dress. Its still baggy, just not over done. And you can find tons of brands that are fitted clothes, and are still hip hop clothing too. Since you live in NJ, I'm sure they sell this style at malls around where you live. Hope that helps.

Old 12-13-2011, 02:54 PM

I kinda thought it over, and I am not gonn switch 180 degrees like some people suggested here. Balance is always good so I will be in the middle somewhere. I'll prolly get fitted jeans, normal size sweaters or hoodies and that type of thing. I like timbs, but instead of stereotypical yellow ones that I have, I'll get black ones so they will just look like regular winter shoes. I also need a winter coat so instead of oversized fur, hood type one I will get something more casual. This seems like the only way to go. I will still feel like myself, still look comfortable and stylish,but more mature and not ghetto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty