Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 01:02 PM

3,111 posts, read 8,055,988 times

Advertisements

Is this how you dress?

Last edited by DrEarth; 12-09-2011 at 01:11 PM..

Old 12-09-2011, 01:17 PM

2,664 posts, read 5,636,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommodonahue View Post
He's obviously not comfortable with what he's wearing otherwise he wouldn't be asking these questions..
O I am comfortable in my clothes, the reason I am asking these questions is because like I said before, certain people keep telling me I should change up so I thought I'd see what people around here would say.

Old 12-09-2011, 01:20 PM

DrEarth-Yea, but more like the guy on the right. I don't sag and I don't wear shirts that hang to my knees cuz it looks dumb, especially on non black people.

Old 12-09-2011, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
its not a good point at all. if people see you wearing "urban" clothing, they are going to think you have no brain. so if thats all you are comfortable wearing, then you will have to get used to not being respected by anyone that you meet. when people grow up, they change certain things about their appearance that are more appropriate for someone of their age/responsibility. the type of clothing you wear should have been burned when you finished high school. im not sure how someone going through college could dress like that.
I been used to it lol
and half of my college dresses like that by the way, and no, it's not just black people there, its a melting pot.

Old 12-09-2011, 01:31 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolshoi View Post
I been used to it lol
and half of my college dresses like that by the way, and no, it's not just black students there, its a melting pot.
bolshoi, im happy to at least hear that you are attending college. its probably not a great one if people are dressing straight up gangsta, but you will get a degree. i think you should be striving to be better than your surroundings, not to be accepted because others do it also. like the timberlands, you shouldnt be wearing them unless you are performing manual labor. also, you should generally avoid wearing hoodies unless its weather appropriate and very casual and when you are infoors you never keep the hood up

Old 12-09-2011, 01:39 PM

410 posts, read 743,079 times
Quote:
DrEarth-Yea, but more like the guy on the right. I don't sag and I don't wear shirts that hang to my knees cuz it looks dumb, especially on non black people.
Lol... I agree that sagging and wearing oversize clothes looks dumb, but I don't think it looks any less dumb on black people.

Old 12-09-2011, 01:52 PM

31,053 posts, read 22,086,243 times
Quote:
I been used to it lol
and half of my college dresses like that by the way, and no, it's not just black people there, its a melting pot.
If you combine it with a Mullet you will blend right in! One thing about today, you will find people dressed up in many styles from many eras!

Old 12-09-2011, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
bolshoi, im happy to at least hear that you are attending college. its probably not a great one if people are dressing straight up gangsta, but you will get a degree. i think you should be striving to be better than your surroundings, not to be accepted because others do it also. like the timberlands, you shouldnt be wearing them unless you are performing manual labor. also, you should generally avoid wearing hoodies unless its weather appropriate and very casual and when you are infoors you never keep the hood up
I am not trying to fit in, I've been like this for at least a decade, and I just moved here. It's NJCU in Jersey City so yea it's not Harvard, but it's decent. A lot of inner city people attend, that's why you often see that urban wear. I came from Oregon to NJ just a few months ago so trust me, I was not blending over there whatsoever with these clothes, but I still wore'em cuz that's me. I used to wear timbs and hoodies cuz they were part of the look, now I just feel comfortable in them, especially when it's snowing or raining. Timbs are durable! I don't keep the hood up indoors unless I'm cold.

Last edited by OleSchoolFool; 12-09-2011 at 02:21 PM..

Old 12-09-2011, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jifwittle View Post
Lol... I agree that sagging and wearing oversize clothes looks dumb, but I don't think it looks any less dumb on black people.
True, but at least they came up with it, and that's what they know in the hood so at least it's their own dumb style, it's worse when it's copied by impostors who only try to look cool when they actually don't relate to the subculture to begin with. That's why I am glad the whole baggy style is not "fresh" anymore, I felt like it was hijacked in early 2000s when everyone dressed like that, trying to look cool. They undermined real hip hop heads like me. I hate posers. Good thing they found something new to copy now. (lil wayne look)

Old 12-09-2011, 02:16 PM

410 posts, read 743,079 times
The only way to be completely original would be to make your own clothes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty