Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 10:02 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,224,288 times

Advertisements

You don't have to wear pants that will oppress your jewels. There's an in between. I usually wear regular fitting jeans or cargo pants with a plain sweatshirt (not hooded) or t-shirt.

I personally think the "hip hop style" is ridiculous, but that's JMO. Wear whatever is comfortable and makes you feel good about yourself. Who cares about trends?

Old 12-09-2011, 10:06 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,128,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolshoi View Post
Nobody will make me wear anything unless it's a special event. Police don't care how you dress when you are off the clock.
I am grown.
Keep laughing.

I wish that were true...

Any professional job, it matters what you do off the clock.
LEO, even more so.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
I wish that were true...

Any professional job, it matters what you do off the clock.
LEO, even more so.
Also, when applying for a professional job, one's candidacy could be affected if the employer searches for information about your general lifestyle.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:35 PM

659 posts, read 1,146,157 times
you should wear whatever you want to wear, its your life and you only get one.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:43 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,928,336 times
I am old, but consider the style particularly affected and ridiculous.

Maybe you are ready to grow up and shed your teenage play clothes?

Old 12-09-2011, 10:53 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,342,561 times
As long as you're being yourself, you should dress the way you want to.

Dressing in "hip hop" attire is just fine, if you aren't sagging or wearing any gaudy jewelry. Also, even in hip-hop culture, baggy shirts and pants are generally considered out of style. Current street fashions feature more fitted clothes.

Old 12-09-2011, 11:21 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,342,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
its not a good point at all. if people see you wearing "urban" clothing, they are going to think you have no brain. so if thats all you are comfortable wearing, then you will have to get used to not being respected by anyone that you meet. when people grow up, they change certain things about their appearance that are more appropriate for someone of their age/responsibility. the type of clothing you wear should have been burned when you finished high school. im not sure how someone going through college could dress like that.
It sounds like you're attempting to shed light on a subject you don't really know much about. You seem to have a very narrow outlook, regarding hip-hop culture.

There is a time and place for everything. If the OP is looking to excel in the corporate world, then street clothes are obviously not appropriate for job interviews or work hours. In his personal time, however, he SHOULD wear whatever makes him happy. So what if some people will hold something against him, simply because of how he's dressed? That's their problem, and not his. Come to terms with the fact that we all are different people with different tastes, and you might end up meeting some pretty nice folks.

By the way, it is possible to own baggy jeans AND a suit and tie.

Old 12-10-2011, 10:22 AM

2,664 posts, read 5,636,001 times
I will say again, police don't care how you dress off the clock, at least the police around here. Of course your lifestyle will affect your candidacy, that's why I don't have any facebook pics or other compromising info about me that they can find. That's a whole different subject though and irrelevant here.

To Nairobi-Some people are close minded. I completely agree with time and place for everything idea.

Last edited by OleSchoolFool; 12-10-2011 at 10:31 AM..

Old 12-10-2011, 10:36 AM

They can find out through means other than facebook. They could simply ask around about your general character and reputation.

I'm not saying restrain yourself from living just because a prospective employer may ask around about you, but just keep it in mind when applying for certain jobs.

Old 12-10-2011, 01:08 PM

48 posts, read 64,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolshoi View Post
I am 25 and I been dressing like this for many yrs, but now it feels that this might represent me in a wrong way and maybe I should wear something else, since I am not a gangsta. I am just into Hip Hop music. It seems like people get the wrong impression a lot when I wear my timbs, baggy jeans and all that. I am not about blending in, but at the same time I am an adult now and many people keep telling me to wear more mature clothes, saying that I am all good and mature once you get to know me, but at the first impression I look foolish cuz of the clothes. So basically, can one wear urban clothing and not be perceived as a wigger or a gang banger? ( I am Russian in NJ)
LOL. The advice of being yourself, don't change for anyone,etc does not really work out in the long run and in the real world if the majority is against you.

Dressing/Speaking/Acting ghetto will get you nowhere in life due to the stigma that is associated with it. A white boy dressing urban will be viewed as a poser, wig88r,etc unless you are involved in the hip hop/rap game. Even if you're in the hip hop industry you still will always have to prove yourself. If you want to dress like that fine go ahead but don't expect everyone to accept it. Humans judge, hate, kill,etc other humans based on their skin color, race, religion, sex, age, sexual preference, social status, economic status, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty