Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 07:57 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,169,951 times

Advertisements

Article

H&M responds

Personally, I don't see a problem with it. It's just like when you go into the store and see it on a dressform mannequin. Everything looks good on a dressform, so it gets people to try it on.

Only thing is, despite it being about the clothes (and not the model) it's very uncommon for a clothing manufacturer to display their wares on a variety of body types.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2011, 07:58 AM

1,707 posts, read 6,211,007 times
Does anybody really care if they use computer generated models? It's advertising. Since when has that been anything but BS anyway?

Old 12-13-2011, 08:08 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,712,660 times
They so much digital editing on other photos these days...whats the diff?
I dont see the big deal either.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:46 AM

3,516 posts, read 6,782,660 times
I'm not bothered by it, but if they're shooting models anyway for the faces, why not just use the whole model? And the body they chose is kind of strange looking, very rectangular.

Overall, just weird.

Old 12-13-2011, 11:48 AM

2,444 posts, read 3,583,980 times
Because they only shoot the face once, then they can use the same photo shoot for an infinite number of clothing.

The main criticism against these generic models is that they make expectations on female bodies too high.
But really, there is nothing very unnatural about their appearance. They look like any thin women I know.

Old 12-13-2011, 12:58 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,782,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishViking View Post
Because they only shoot the face once, then they can use the same photo shoot for an infinite number of clothing.

The main criticism against these generic models is that they make expectations on female bodies too high.
But really, there is nothing very unnatural about their appearance. They look like any thin women I know.
Well I think my body is nicer than that, but it's entirely possible I'm delusional.

I don't know why they bother with the models at all, then. Just slap those things on a dress form and don't bother with the photoshop. I actually like that places like Anthropologie just display all their clothes on a dress form, but I also enjoy sites like Victoria's Secret that show women in different environments, making different moves.

Old 12-13-2011, 01:33 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
they'll advertise anyway they want I guess....doesn't say much for the company though, if they gotta use phony bodies to display their wares when there're so many REAL beautiful women out there....probably saves them money though,,,computer images don't need a paycheck.

Old 12-13-2011, 01:55 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,169,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
they'll advertise anyway they want I guess....doesn't say much for the company though, if they gotta use phony bodies to display their wares when there're so many REAL beautiful women out there....probably saves them money though,,,computer images don't need a paycheck.
They're still doing a professional photoshoot with hair and makeup artists for the face models. They're still paying a professional to photograph the mannequin. They're still paying for digital artists.

Where they save money is that they now have a swatch set on their photoshopping program for the mannequin for easy copy-paste. I would also assume that face models are less costly per hour than a full body model. They are also saving a few pennies here and there based on the fact that mannequins don't (normally) blink or move during pictures.

Though, I think they might need to get better photoshoppers. I've done better layering on MS Paint.

Old 12-13-2011, 02:46 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,050,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishViking View Post
Do they think real models' bodies are easy to attain? If the industry does not want to raise too high expectation, they would not hire models whose bodies are sculpted in both the gyms and the surgeon's offices. If there were no high expectation, why the need to airbrushing away every imperfection, making every extra inch disappeared on the real models' bodies?

The way I see it, those digital models are more normal and easier on the eyes than the impossibly voluptuous, impossibly long legged, impossibly flat stomach, impossible toned but not at all muscular, impossibly perfect VS models.

Old 12-14-2011, 04:55 PM

541 posts, read 861,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post
Article

H&M responds

Personally, I don't see a problem with it. It's just like when you go into the store and see it on a dressform mannequin. Everything looks good on a dressform, so it gets people to try it on.
I agree. H&M clothing all fits on the small side (good for a tiny person like me, not so much for my larger friends). If they choose to "thin out" the models to a certain "perfection" then that to me is really truth in advertising for their product.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty