Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2012, 11:11 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,289,523 times

Advertisements

I'm flat iron shopping. My very best ever Infrashine iron died after 6 loyal years of service. I am using a "backup" iron I bought a few years ago, but it's junky. I've been looking in stores and online and need to buy something soon.

Side story: I am licensed as a hair stylist, though I don't work in a salon anymore. I really do know what I am looking for in a flat iron. I know that I should invest in another infrashine, a Chi, or a Babyliss, but I'm finding so many other options I wanted opinions! I also have fine but thick naturally wavy/curl hair, about mid-back, and I can't live without a flat iron, so I need something ASAP!

Anyway, I've seen a few brands of a wet/dry iron, specifically one by Remington. It has gotten rave reviews on the internet, but as a former stylist, I just can't wrap my head around the idea of using a heat appliance on damp hair. It just seems like a big no-no. Then I read how it uses the water to "steam" the hair and put moisture back in (or something like that). That makes sense, a little. But I'm still not sure. I will say I NEVER blowdry my hair as it takes too long and has a tendency to frizz. Being able to flat iron on damp hair would be a time saver for me! (I usually wash at night and let it air dry, flat ironing in the morning)

So, does anyone have experience with this or any other brand of wet/dry? Thoughts in general? TIA!
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 10:09 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,683,630 times
This is what I use on the occasion I decide to straighten my hair http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details It works pretty good imo but I dont use it on wet hair. I blowdry my hair first but sometimes I do miss a spot/area and it doesnt seem to matter to my straightener.

Old 02-07-2012, 10:57 AM

151 posts, read 206,039 times
I used a Conair wet/dry flat iron a long long time ago and I hated it! My hair would be frizzy and just over all gross looking. The past few years I've used a Jilbere Tourmaline flat iron from Sally Beauty Supply. I absolutely love it. Runs about $60-$70.

Old 02-07-2012, 11:17 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,559,149 times
I have the Remington wet/dry one...I've had it since 2007...it works great either way. I don't use it daily, but I did for a while. I wouldn't use it on sopping wet hair (it would take forever, anyway), but it's fine for use on damp hair (like, wrap a towel around my wet hair, do my makeup, and by then, it's towel dried enough to use the iron on it. I wouldn't buy the crap about it "steaming" and therefore improving your hair...it's a heat tool, like any other, with all the same risks of damage. It has vents in it that let steam out as it dries your damp hair. I think it also has tourmaline in the plates, but I'm not thoroughly convinced that really means anything, anyway.

I don't have any problems with frizz when I use it, but my hair is naturally in loose waves, not tightly curly, so it's not incredibly hard to straighten. It straightens pretty well with a blow drier...ironing it just makes it more sleek.

Old 02-07-2012, 04:02 PM

7,507 posts, read 4,398,319 times
Amika is great. It is expensive (about $99) but I get it from amazon for cheaper price. They do have wet/dry flat iron but I don't use it. I know it makes my hair soft and healthy looking. It beats all the flat iron I owned in years.

Old 02-07-2012, 05:24 PM

9 posts, read 16,474 times
Default very nice products

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianRice View Post
Amika is great. It is expensive (about $99) but I get it from amazon for cheaper price. They do have wet/dry flat iron but I don't use it. I know it makes my hair soft and healthy looking. It beats all the flat iron I owned in years.
haha, I am totally agree with you, very nice products
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty