Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 11:05 AM

275 posts, read 1,283,497 times

Advertisements

Two questions about ironing.

1. I wonder if it is good to iron old iron-free clothes?

2. Is buying a ironing board necessary for ironing?
Can I use a desk with wooden top or plastic top instead? If yes, do I need to cover the desk with something, before putting my clothes on it for ironing?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 11:13 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Depending on what you are ironing and how often, it is really difficult to actually iron something on a completely flat surface.

If space is at a premium and you're not ironing frequently, I'd consider something like this:

TableTop Ironing Board with Iron Rest : Target

Old 08-27-2012, 11:24 AM

Thanks!

Is a ironing board not flat?

Also, are iron-free clothes supposed not to be ironed? Is it good to iron them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Depending on what you are ironing and how often, it is really difficult to actually iron something on a completely flat surface.

If space is at a premium and you're not ironing frequently, I'd consider something like this:

TableTop Ironing Board with Iron Rest : Target

Old 08-27-2012, 11:28 AM

29,747 posts, read 34,396,829 times
What does the label on the particular garment say about ironing? Read it, and do what it says.

Old 08-27-2012, 11:36 AM

I'm not sure what you are asking. If you are asking whether it actually is bad for clothing labeled as "no-iron" I'd say it depends. Does it say "do not iron" or are they pieces that are advertised as "no need to iron" ?...I've had to iron "no need to iron" clothing if it doesn't come out of the dryer right away or gets squished in the closet. Or sometimes just needs a touch up.

Yes, a regular ironing board does fold flat. You just indicated that you were thinking about ironing on the table/countertop. Your post isn't very clear as to what you want.

Wait - are you asking about "flat" as in a flat surface? Well, an ironing board is shaped so that you can iron sleeves and other awkward shapes...and stuff can hang down some which makes ironing easier than on a countertop.

Old 08-27-2012, 11:45 AM

Thanks!

I meant "no need to iron" by "iron-free".

I didn't know it is sometimes necessary to iron clothes on a non-flat surface.

Quote:
I'm not sure what you are asking. If you are asking whether it actually is bad for clothing labeled as "no-iron" I'd say it depends. Does it say "do not iron" or are they pieces that are advertised as "no need to iron" ?...I've had to iron "no need to iron" clothing if it doesn't come out of the dryer right away or gets squished in the closet. Or sometimes just needs a touch up.

Yes, a regular ironing board does fold flat. You just indicated that you were thinking about ironing on the table/countertop. Your post isn't very clear as to what you want.

Wait - are you asking about "flat" as in a flat surface? Well, an ironing board is shaped so that you can iron sleeves and other awkward shapes...and stuff can hang down some which makes ironing easier than on a countertop.

Old 08-27-2012, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timlee View Post
Thanks!

I meant "no need to iron" by "iron-free".

I didn't know it is sometimes necessary to iron clothes on a non-flat surface.
Not "necessary" but definitely easier.

Old 08-27-2012, 12:52 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,263,376 times
Look at the content tags of what you are ironing. Some things you need to press at a low heat (like polyester) or they will melt. You can iron permanent press things. I used to get away with NOT ironing my husband's shirts by taking them out of a hot dryer while they were still pretty damp and hanging them.

And if you're really not sure about the fabric taking the heat -- use a pressing cloth -- you dampen the cloth and put it OVER the fabric you are pressing to take the brunt of the heat.

An ironing board is best -- it's padded and the cover should reflect heat back onto the clothing being ironed and you can use the small end to press collars and yokes better. You CAN use a table top, but you need some sort of heat proof pressing pad because heat and steam will take off the finish from the table and your shirt will absorb it. A towel won't cut it, especially at high heat and steam. It might protect your garment, but the table will be ruined.

And yes -- tailors and dressmakers use things called hams, which are rounded pressing surfaces for rounded seams like collars and armholes. Before they are completely finished those seams can stretch from being cut on the bias, but hams aren't so necessary after the garment has been finished.

I'm crazy, but I like ironing. Which is good since I quilt and I have to press A LOT.

Old 08-27-2012, 12:55 PM

Are clothes washed and dryed before being ironed?

By "flat" I actually meant "horizontal". I didn't know that ironing boards are sometimes vertical or tilted. The surface is always flat, regardless of its position, right?

Quote:
Not "necessary" but definitely easier.

Old 08-27-2012, 01:50 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,997,633 times
It won't hurt "no iron" clothes if you iron them.

As far as ironing on other surfaces, take care not to burn them...use a towel and sheet....should be ok...but the SHAPE of the ironing board is what makes ironing easier!

I like ironing, too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty