Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What body types look more attractive for both genders/more reasonable?
The painting 28 77.78%
What is idealized today 8 22.22%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 10:09 PM

30,358 posts, read 51,942,966 times

Advertisements

As for the painting, I have to say they look fine to me... although considering I pretty much look like a Renaissance painting (long curly red hair & "soft" figure, both of which seem to have been their preferences), I may be a tad biased. The male isn't really my type, though, as I personally like a bigger and darker-skinned man - but he looks alright!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2012, 11:22 PM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Currency Pair Crocodile View Post
14-14.5 is a smallest size of the shirt collar. Even if it spills to 15 inches, it takes a toll on the shape of the shirt where it increase the body and it just cannot closely line the torso any longer. You see how the dude's white shirt hugs his body close. Loose shirts look awful.
Ahhh... I see. How much effort do you have to put into staying in 14.5?
Because see, you have to be almost asthenic to have this body type, otherwise why not tailor shirts that are too lose, but fit right in the neck area?

Quote:
Girl's an Uzbek "supermodel", she has the Bactrian look on her.
"Bactrian" as in Persian? ( Sorry when I hear "Bactrian" I think of camels first of all)))

I would have never guessed that she was Uzbek; Uzbeks for the most part have very oriental look to them.

Quote:
I think I never knew of Fine Arts until now. Thank you. I could use some threads there.
Which reminds me...
I wanted to add more paintings there..

Old 02-11-2012, 11:23 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,839,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Isn't woman supposed to have wider hips and narrower shoulders to begin with, in contrast to man's build?
Yes,but according to one poster,her hips looked like she had given birth.
I was just saying a woman could have wide hips without ever giving birth.
I have had really wide hips since I was 12.

Old 02-12-2012, 09:44 AM

3,516 posts, read 6,782,660 times
I request again, what are examples of this supposed ideal? Without pictures to judge against, the question is as meaningless as asking whether the bodies in the paintings look better or todays ideal of 7 foot tall scaly green dragon bodies with enormous tails.

I'm going to posit that "stick thin with big balloon breasts" is not the ideal preferred by the majority or the media or whatever else you think is brainwashing society. I'd say the sorts of bodies that get the most positive attention are those like Sofia Vergara, hourglass figures with large breasts, small waists, and slight muscle definition in the abdomen while still looking soft.

Old 02-12-2012, 10:44 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
For the people who do not know the story, Venus was jealous of the young woman because of her great beauty. She was too beautiful for a mortal, so Venus sent her son, Cupid, to cause her to fall in love with a monster. Cupid accidentally wounded himself with an arrow, and fell in love with Psyche instead. Paintings of Psyche (or Snow White or Helen of Troy or other legendary beauties) are going to reflect the ideal contemporary to the painter. Some women are painted with puffy eyes and practically no chins, not very beautiful by today's standards.

Psyche is lying on her side, which juts her hip out. Compare that blonde Victoria's Secret model, who sticks her hip out in every single photo. She looks like she's given herself scoliosis. There's nothing wrong with Psyche. She just doesn't have muscles, because women didn't go to the gym and work out. She 's not fat. She's about 15 and perfectly normal.

Old 02-12-2012, 12:40 PM

410 posts, read 515,190 times
The bodies in the paintings look like they didn't do very much slavery in their lives so why do so many people consider those attractive figures being completely muscle less? I think that is gross and it says alot about their ugly unattractive personalities.

Old 02-12-2012, 01:26 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,259,230 times
I don't think you can say. While the media might depict one thing, real people go after what they are hardwired to want. I've always been thick. Big boned, heavier than I should be, and very muscular as a woman -- it's our family genetics.

I've always been larger than a lot of women, and I've never suffered for male attention (or female attention). Even now, I'm fat, and in my early 50's -- and I still get hit on. Not as much as I used to, but it still happens. That's one of the reasons I always wear my wedding ring.

And my husband and his two brothers? All of them went for larger women. All three of them were chubby chasers. And two of them have long term happy marriages (32 years for us). My husband finds today's stick figures awful, but he even "gets it". Hollywood has spoken. TV ingenues that have a little meat on their bones become movie stars earning big bucks when they drop 40 pounds.

Old 02-13-2012, 06:21 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,712,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
For the people who do not know the story, Venus was jealous of the young woman because of her great beauty. She was too beautiful for a mortal, so Venus sent her son, Cupid, to cause her to fall in love with a monster. Cupid accidentally wounded himself with an arrow, and fell in love with Psyche instead. Paintings of Psyche (or Snow White or Helen of Troy or other legendary beauties) are going to reflect the ideal contemporary to the painter. Some women are painted with puffy eyes and practically no chins, not very beautiful by today's standards.

Psyche is lying on her side, which juts her hip out. Compare that blonde Victoria's Secret model, who sticks her hip out in every single photo. She looks like she's given herself scoliosis. There's nothing wrong with Psyche. She just doesn't have muscles, because women didn't go to the gym and work out. She 's not fat. She's about 15 and perfectly normal.
No its because it was not considered cool to do labor back then or even go outside. Aristocrats stayed pale, fat and flabby as a sign of prosperity.
You don't have to be in a gym to be healthy and show some muscle definition.

Laying around keeping slaves is sexy? Mmmm....no.

Old 02-13-2012, 06:31 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
No its because it was not considered cool to do labor back then or even go outside. Aristocrats stayed pale, fat and flabby as a sign of prosperity.
You don't have to be in a gym to be healthy and show some muscle definition.

Laying around keeping slaves is sexy? Mmmm....no.
Women did not have muscle definition then, but that doesn't mean they were flabby. Women with biceps and quads is a new phenomenon. Do you think pioneer women, who did all the cooking and washing, who knew how to drive horses to plough a field, were ripped with muscle? They weren't. That wasn't even considered attractive. What would Psyche do back in the day to tone up? Play volleyball? Throw a javelin?

To "be healthy and show some muscle tone," a woman has to watch her calories, get sweaty on a regular basis, and do activities that require strength.

It's bizarre to me that an ordinary young woman is viewed as bloated and fat because she is not thin and muscular. It borders on body dysmorphia, in my opinion.

Old 02-13-2012, 04:21 PM

410 posts, read 515,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Women did not have muscle definition then, but that doesn't mean they were flabby. Women with biceps and quads is a new phenomenon. Do you think pioneer women, who did all the cooking and washing, who knew how to drive horses to plough a field, were ripped with muscle? They weren't. That wasn't even considered attractive. What would Psyche do back in the day to tone up? Play volleyball? Throw a javelin?

To "be healthy and show some muscle tone," a woman has to watch her calories, get sweaty on a regular basis, and do activities that require strength.

It's bizarre to me that an ordinary young woman is viewed as bloated and fat because she is not thin and muscular. It borders on body dysmorphia, in my opinion.
You don't think that women that are ripped are attractive looking? There must be something wrong with your brain then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty