Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 04:30 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,911,809 times

Advertisements

So I buy all of my bras from Victorias Secret out of convienience although lately I haven't since their summer colors have been atrociously neon, little girl looking, with diamonds on them

I always though VS was expensive. $50, sometimes $60 for a bra is a lot for me. Whenever I go I always find 2 or 3 and have to narrow it down to one. Even when I was working I would limit myself to two bras and some panties and usually spend around $200. After buying matching panties (3 for $30 usually) I end up spending almost $100.

I know VS isn't the best quality, but I also thought it was decent. Recently I literally busted open a bra that I believe is my size 32 c. The front band that connects the cups ripped in half. I have only worn it maybe 20 or so times but I purchased it 2 years ago so I doubt I can get a refund.

I was just on yelp.com reading the reviews of my local VS and 3 out of the 5 reviews compare it to Agent Provocatur and La Perla saying "La Perla and Agent Provacateur are so much better in terms of quality and look now that I have experienced them".

So I went to both of their websites. I always knew La Perla was expensive, but DAMN it seems these bras start at $200 and the cuter ones veer near $300. Same thing at Agent Provacateur.

What amazes me is 3 out of 5 of the VS reviewers shop at these places. So...people actually shop there?!?! I always thought only rich "5th avenue" types and Waspy types shopped at La Perla.

I like my bras to have a little push up, but not too much on the padding side. I never like to look more than one cup size bigger than I actually am, but I do like to have a little umph to even it out with my hips.

So do you really have to spend that much on a bra for it to be good quality?

Is it worth the investment?

Where do you buy your bras?

Is VS really that low quality?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2012, 04:37 PM

659 posts, read 1,015,123 times
I buy Victorias Secret every now and then, they have a lot of fun stuff but the quality is poor, it's over priced and I their target market is high school and college age girls.

Old 07-28-2012, 04:43 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,736,964 times
LMAO @ 'busted open a bra' that was just funny how you said it....anyway, I don't wear VS bras because they don't sell my size. IMO, most of the women buy those bras because of the label being VS, the reputation it has as a sexy company in men's eyes, and finally some of the patterns on the bras/panties are appealing. My ex roommate owned La Perla bras (at least 2) that I seen and I touched them (not while on her, LOL) and I could recognize that they were top of the line fabrics and the would hold up well....Would I spend $200 on a bra -- never. But I won't wear one from Target either and waste my money. That's just me. I try to go somewhere in the middle price wise and maybe splurge once in a while on one that costs a bit more.

I do beleive some bras are just not quality and you get what you pay for....A bra from VS and a bra from Target 9 times out of 10 the Target bra is going to be a' wash and wear 5 - 10 times and it's done' thing.

Old 07-28-2012, 04:52 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,097,080 times
woman within sells some pretty good bras but they are a little pricey for me . 200.00 for a bra never would happen . My mother was cheap and she taught us to be cheap . The most my mother would spend on a bra was 7.00 and my aunt tells me she only buys a bra once a year . So yeah cheap cheap is the way to go . My sister buys the 18 hr bras and even those are a little on the pricey side for me but hey it is what it is . Im just floored that some women would think that 200 for a bra is okay .

Old 07-28-2012, 05:06 PM

37,138 posts, read 42,234,436 times
You should buy what fits and works for you. Mine cost $40 and I buy 1-2 new ones each year and have 5-6 at all times in various colors not counting sports bras.

Old 07-28-2012, 05:49 PM

745 posts, read 1,649,345 times
I bought one of those, I think "Cross your heart", and I felt like I was in Harness.
Like just put a couple of rings on it and hitch me up to a wagon.

Subsequently I buy KMart $6.00 or whatever they cost now.
Sarong type with only a double hook on the back.

You want to spend $40 to $200....well if you have that kind of money to throw away.....

Old 07-28-2012, 08:00 PM

484 posts, read 855,074 times
I don't consider VS to be expensive. I see bra's in the $100'eds and I would not buy them. O Average after 6mths of wear they are useless the elastic/rubber does wear and stretch, . i have a few that I kept longer since I don't wear bras that oftern, .

I think you should find a brand that fits you well and in financial reason to your budget.

Old 07-28-2012, 08:09 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,599,905 times
For me, the cost of the bra isn't really important...a good fit is. The VS girls know next to nothing about bra fitting.

I won't spend more than $40 for a bra.

Old 07-28-2012, 08:13 PM

29,748 posts, read 34,409,851 times
I'm always surprised when people think VS is the be and and end all of underthings. I'd go to a department store and get measured. Macy's is just fine, and brands like Maidenform and Warner's are pretty decent and they usually have sales.

Old 07-28-2012, 10:45 PM

484 posts, read 855,074 times
I agree with you about VS. They measured me in NYC and gave me bras to try on in the size they claimed was my size. lol there was way to much cup room. I was flattered that they THOUGHT I was that big.

I notice like with most clothes sizing. Bras are the same every manufacturer has a different sizing pattern
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty