Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2013, 09:38 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,904,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by guestJ23 View Post
Stop lying......nobody's seen a 'food stamp' since the mid- 90's.
That person knows not what they are talking about. For one thing there's no such thing as a WIC card and yes, no food stamps like there used to be. That IS a card. And if these people actually use WIC and/or food stamps they would already know they couldn't use them for such a thing. Why do people assume so much?

Old 09-04-2013, 11:53 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,339,531 times
My wife and I have items made from Coach. She bought me a very nice wallet a few years back. I love it. She has maybe a dozen coach bags, a couple coach womens wallets / checkbook / credit card organizer thing. She loves the brand and I do as well. They make a good product that yes has a lifetime guarentee. Coach has an amazing customer service program that I love. I can go into the store and they can tell me what my wife owns. As far as upscale Coach isn't even the top of the mark. Many other brands that are up there in the spectrum, way ahead of Coach.

We have never been on assistance though. We pay our own way. To top it off purchases such as Coach products are something that we pay cash for. I can't see how those that are less off can buy them. Saying that, it is possible for those like me that are judging others to realize that fortunes can come and go. I am thinking that some people may have some nice things that could have had financial problems and have a need for help. No problems I get that.

Old 09-04-2013, 12:10 PM

2,341 posts, read 3,496,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
I never understood this. Why would a girl who survives paycheck to paycheck and lives in the projects go out and buy a $1200 LV bag? I laugh when I see this. Who do they think they're fooling? I overheard some woman on line at the store the other day talking about how she's going to pay the rent late this month because there's a pair of those red bottom shoes that she wants and they cost $800. The way I see it is, if you cant go to the store and buy them without batting an eyelash or sacrificing bills, then you have no business buying them. Live within your means people.
They are living within their means, and they are still doing it from day to day.

Old 09-04-2013, 12:13 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,970,811 times
I buy clothes that fit me right. I don't give a damn about the brand. I have designer and nondesigner clothing. I see people who wear name brand head to toe and it doesn't even match...just want to show off. Those people not look dress dumb but tend to make dumb decisions too.

If someone needs to dress "fancy" from head to toe, its a tell something is wrong with you.

Old 09-04-2013, 01:39 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,339,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpus7 View Post
They are living within their means, and they are still doing it from day to day.
Paying the rent or other bills late is not living within your means.

Old 09-04-2013, 02:13 PM

5,020 posts, read 7,448,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinafemme036 View Post
Now on the other hand very rich people do wear expensive clothes. If you have alot of money why buy cheap stuff.
Rich people get/stay rich by not wasting their money on frivolous things.

Old 09-04-2013, 02:37 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,254,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
I never understood this. Why would a girl who survives paycheck to paycheck and lives in the projects go out and buy a $1200 LV bag? I laugh when I see this. Who do they think they're fooling? I overheard some woman on line at the store the other day talking about how she's going to pay the rent late this month because there's a pair of those red bottom shoes that she wants and they cost $800. The way I see it is, if you cant go to the store and buy them without batting an eyelash or sacrificing bills, then you have no business buying them. Live within your means people.
In the book Rich Dad Poor Dad, the author (Robert Kiyosaki) says he is a landlord and a lot of his tenants had things like big screen TVs that HE couldn't afford. He wouldn't allow himself to buy something until he could make the money passively (without working/exchanging hours for dollars, but from rental income, investment income, etc.) That is precisely the reason that people stay poor. Instead of saving and investing their money or using their money to buy things that will create more money and eventually wealth for them, they spend it on things they don't need and can't afford.

Old 09-04-2013, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda120 View Post
Yeah, fake.

Just buy a great purse on sale at Macy's. They sometimes have GREAT bargains.
Yep! I got a Fossil purse that I LOVE on sale at Macy's. It's three or four years old now and I'd like to find another one just like it or close to it, but they must not make that particular style/color anymore.

Old 09-04-2013, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
Most people I know with REAL money don't flash name brands at all. Not saying they don't wear expensive stuff, but you would probably never know the brand if you didn't look at the tags.

My boss is a multi-millionaire and he drives a Toyota truck. Not like some kid in the hood driving a Mercedes or Lexus while sleeping on their mom's couch.

Now, I don't find anything wrong with buying yourself something expensive IF you can afford it. I always say I would treat myself to a Chanel bag if I ever came into money. But would I not pay my rent to have it? Of course not.

I see a lot of these people living in Section 8 apartments, and buying themselves expensive stuff when they clearly cannot afford it.
I heard on the radio the other day that Warren Buffet still lives in the house in Nebraska?? that he bought in the 1950s for $41,000 or something like that.

Old 09-04-2013, 02:45 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
Buy once cry once. For all you know the expensive stuff they have may be second hand. For example I gave a friend of mine a few suits I never wore. I bought them for a job that I ended up not renewing my contract so I had no use for the suits. These were expensive suits few Armani and a few Gucci. He needed them for a new job he was starting in sales. He couldn't afford them I could. I gave them away. Now I buy rugged work wear because i'm back in the field not stuck in a office in a rat maze wearing a monkey suit. I still buy expensive work wear cause it just lasts longer. $70 pair of work pants last longer than a 20-30 pair of cheap work pants. Hell my work boots cost $200 bucks but they last a year where cheap $50 boots last three months and my feet kill me. If the poor person saved the money its their business how they spend it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty