Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 07:58 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,653,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I can't believe this item which was a staple for every mother and grandmother for generations is so hard to find. DH looked at 2 targets and 2 walmarts and called several Ulta without success. The $1.99 on amazon (Diana) had terrible reviews. We will order from the Vermont Country Story- how could I have forgotten that wonderful source- tonight. Also going to get White Shoulders Dusting powder from them too.

So tell me younger women---Do people not use body powder anymore? It would seem so since it is so hard to find.

I have had the same search! I still haven't found what I want unless they are over 20 bucks.I used to wear White Shoulders too-hahaha.There tends to be lots of WS stuff on Ebay reasonably priced. Soap,lotion,powder etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2013, 08:39 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,392,817 times
Quote:
I can't believe this item which was a staple for every mother and grandmother for generations is so hard to find. DH looked at 2 targets and 2 walmarts and called several Ulta without success. The $1.99 on amazon (Diana) had terrible reviews. We will order from the Vermont Country Story- how could I have forgotten that wonderful source- tonight. Also going to get White Shoulders Dusting powder from them too.

So tell me younger women---Do people not use body powder anymore? It would seem so since it is so hard to find.
Yeah, I know, right? I'm not old (40ish) but I'm guessing the young folks dont' use powder anymore. It used to be standard for perfumes for have a scented powder in their lines but you don't see that anymore either. The nice thing about powder is that it isn't too strong smelling and is longer lasting that perfumes/lotions/body sprays....

I love scented powders after a bath. In particular, the Woods of Winsor powders (anyone remember back in the day when they were the brand at Victoria's Secret? Before the made their pwn line of products?)

Also love Crabtree and Evelyn for powders. And SnakeBrand Prickly Heat for hot weather (fell in love with it while in Thailand).

In a pinch I'll use Lavender baby Powder....

Old 07-28-2013, 09:04 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,436,414 times
Walgreens. Not so long ago I saw regular size powder puffs on a shelf, packaged in cellophane, so, bath powder types might also be there.

Old 07-29-2013, 03:18 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Here's the thing -- there's a lot of fear about talcum powder. I know a lot of friends used to dust liberally all over, including scads of it in their underwear, and when TALC got linked to cervical and ovarian cancer women freaked.

I never did the underwear thing, but I am big busted, and I powder under my breasts. And powder is pretty much cornstarch nowadays. I do my best to NOT breath it in.

I can also remember my father developing an allergy to antiperspirant/deodorants and he swore by Shower to Shower.

But I think the cancer scare is what killed a lot of the powders.

Old 01-01-2015, 10:06 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,810,585 times
mmf... thank you for posting your sources. I've been thinking about using a puff to minimize the fallout to the floor.

I realize this is an old thread, but thought I would comment on today's young women who don't use it. I started using it over 40 years ago, when, as a little girl, my dad bought me and my sister a cologne and powder set. Didn't like the cologne, but LOVED the powder. For about 10 years, my dad would get me a set for Christmas, and I loved it! I still use powder (mainly baby powder) for it's practicality. Easy to slip on your clothes after showering and keeps you comfortable for hours.

I was talking to 4 of the 20-somethings at work about one of their babies and powder was mentioned. I recommended a powder found at the dollar store and for that price, she could afford to buy one for the baby, one for her. And they all looked at me like I grew a 3rd eye. Turned out, none of them use it for themselves. I explained about the ease of dressing while your skin was still moist, how your clothes glide on and dusting under your breasts keeps you dry. The mom tried it and was amazed and wondered why she had never thought of it before.

Old 01-05-2015, 05:48 AM

2 posts, read 2,974 times
you can find everything at amazon

Old 01-05-2015, 11:20 AM

6,319 posts, read 7,238,463 times
Quote:

Avon sells it.

Mod cut.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 05-30-2018 at 06:47 PM.. Reason: Off-topic.

Old 05-30-2018, 05:38 PM

765 posts, read 473,178 times
No Kudzo, i'm an old geezer and i know you asked the younger women do they not use a body powder any more...... I still do......

my mother used to buy everything in bulk it seems...... she's been dead for 13 years now and i still have her old body powder.... Casaque by Jean D'Albert and it is such a lovely light light fragrance i will be sad to run out of it....i STILL have one left and about 3 of the bath oils ...... We have a chain perfume maker kind of store in Carrboro, and they couldn't even come close to the delicacy of that scent..... was truly one of the greats.....

LOL when i was young first it was Love's Baby Soft powder, loved it!!!! then in college i was mad for Jean Nate powder.... are they still making that? And then around age, gee, 48 i think, i fell in love with Tova's Signature..... that's 20 years ago!!!! QVC bought the rights to it,, and they utterly destroyed it with cheapo ingredients.... you can find it on EBAY at over $200 but i refuse to pay that just to smell heavenly..... i've switched to the very light and clean Snow Angel by Philosophy but only buy it after Christmas when it is sold half price

Old 05-30-2018, 06:40 PM

8,196 posts, read 2,841,675 times
I purchase a box of powder that I didn't really want just for the powder puff at Walmart. It was between $3-$4. Actually the powders smelled ok just not my taste in scents. It was kind of hard to find on a high shelf in toiletries.

Old 06-01-2018, 07:19 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,492,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Here's the thing -- there's a lot of fear about talcum powder. I know a lot of friends used to dust liberally all over, including scads of it in their underwear, and when TALC got linked to cervical and ovarian cancer women freaked.

I never did the underwear thing, but I am big busted, and I powder under my breasts. And powder is pretty much cornstarch nowadays. I do my best to NOT breath it in.

I can also remember my father developing an allergy to antiperspirant/deodorants and he swore by Shower to Shower.

But I think the cancer scare is what killed a lot of the powders.
Hi Tally, I know this is an old post but I wanted to tell you that my dermatologist recommended Zeasorb or Desenex for powdering under the bra instead of baby powder and it works wonderfully.

These are marketed as athletes foot powders (active ingredient Miconazole). It works really well, no more bra rash for years now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty