Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 09:36 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,867,959 times

Advertisements

I have heard that a dress watch is the best choice to go with a suit.

But what if the man is not wearing a suit, but just a jacket and tie along with something like khakis or grey flannel slacks?

Some men like to show their individuality even with a suit, by their wristwatch. Even President Clinton wore a Timex Ironman digital watch. Lots of men choose to wear something like a diver or aviator style watch.

Or, what about a field watch on a brown leather strap?

I'd appreciate any input or ideas about this. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 04:19 AM

4,472 posts, read 17,701,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I have heard that a dress watch is the best choice to go with a suit.

But what if the man is not wearing a suit, but just a jacket and tie along with something like khakis or grey flannel slacks?

Some men like to show their individuality even with a suit, by their wristwatch. Even President Clinton wore a Timex Ironman digital watch. Lots of men choose to wear something like a diver or aviator style watch.

Or, what about a field watch on a brown leather strap?

I'd appreciate any input or ideas about this. Thanks.
I have different watches to go with different types of apparel. I'm not a fan of leather straps, I much prefer a nice bracelet.

My casual and semi-formal watch is a stainless steel Rolex Submariner. It's basically my everyday wristwatch and can be dressed up or dressed down. I like the versatility of the Sub and I'd recommend that for a casual watch to wear on a daily basis. I bought mine a few years ago, I think currently the Sub's go for around $9k though which isn't terrible considering it should last your entire lifetime (and kids...and grandkids).

My "formal wear" watch is a Rolex Datejust. It has a smaller face (36 mm) compared to the 40 mm face on the Sub and fits better under the cuff of a shirt. It's also a bit more traditional looking compared to the diving nature of the Sub. If you're wearing a jacket of any kind, the Datejust might be the best option because of the small diameter.

I also have a Breitling but it rarely gets worn and I'm thinking about getting rid of it. I just find the face of the watch too busy for my tastes and it doesn't flow well with any outfits, sort of an eye sore.

But if you have a bigger budget, I'd recommend a yellow gold Rolex Day-Date, you just can't beat a nice gold Rolex.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:20 AM

Thanks. I think any Rolex would probably work with a suit. (Think James Bond "007")

I am limited to non-metal bands. I like the way they look and they are definitely versatile, but I don't like the feel of them. I live in a warm climate so for me it's usually (1) rubber or (2) water resistant leather. I can wear regular leather if I'm just going to be indoors, or in cooler weather only.

Old 05-31-2012, 03:30 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,981,321 times
As if most folks can afford a Rolex....

But Burberry produces some nice looking watches that are great affordable alternatives.

Watches for Men | Nordstrom

I had a gold Burberry watch until I lost it when I was drunk in Mexico.

Raymond Weil is decent too if the OP wants to step up the price and get something with automatic movement that is in the entry-level of "fine timepieces" versus "fashion watches".

Old 05-31-2012, 04:15 PM

I have nothing against Rolex or any other luxury brand. I would not wear one myself, due to my conservative attitude towards fashion. But I think anyone should be free to wear what they like. And many people appreciate the fine craftsmanship and history found in those brands. But if I were to wear a "dress watch" it would most likely be a Timex. Or some other inexpensive brand along those lines. At the most I would choose something like Seiko, Citizen, or Hamilton that would be a little higher quality.

Burberry. Yes, I have seen those and they are very stylish in my opinion. Thanks.

Old 05-31-2012, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
As if most folks can afford a Rolex....
Used? A few thousand dollars for something that'll easily last your entire lifetime? Most people trade off vehicles every few years and take thousands and thousands of dollars in depreciation.

Unless you're buying one of the gold models, a Rolex really is quite affordable when considering how long it'll last with proper servicing intervals. It's the mindset of buying one versus the actual cost.

Old 05-31-2012, 05:15 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,534,474 times
I almost exclusively wear Timex. I work in a hospital boiler room so I'm hard on watches at work. For work I choose the Timex Atlantis digital which comes in either metal or resin bracelet. I wore that type Timex through my Navy years working in the engine room. Very sturdy reliable watch for $30. Timex also makes some nice looking dress watches that are perfect for dress casual for less than $150. They also have a line of fine dress watches you cannot find at your local department store costing several hundred dollars and made in Germany. I have a Timex watch I wear for casual and it has a leather band and a sunburst face that catches the light. For more formal, but not really dress, I have my dad's gold Bulova he received for 25 years with the company. When he passed away, the watch was passed down to me. For a casual dress I'd go with a Bulova, Citizen, Seiko, or Tag Heuer. For a few hundred dollars, you get a very nice watch that won't break the bank.

Old 05-31-2012, 07:14 PM

Maybe Rolex will last a lifetime, but so will a $100 Seiko. My preferred price range for a watch of any kind is $40 max. For $40 you can buy a watch with state of the art quartz movement, which is way more precise than any mechanical watch. Even if the watch only lasts 10 years that's okay because I would probably get tired of it before that point anyway.

Old 06-01-2012, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Maybe Rolex will last a lifetime, but so will a $100 Seiko. My preferred price range for a watch of any kind is $40 max. For $40 you can buy a watch with state of the art quartz movement, which is way more precise than any mechanical watch. Even if the watch only lasts 10 years that's okay because I would probably get tired of it before that point anyway.
Mechanical watches aren't about being the most precise. I guess I appreciate the craftsmanship and detail that goes into making something which performs a function solely because of the movement inside.

Seiko are nice watches, I have one but just don't wear often. Get what you like.

Old 06-01-2012, 10:24 AM

3,565 posts, read 7,981,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
Used? A few thousand dollars for something that'll easily last your entire lifetime? Most people trade off vehicles every few years and take thousands and thousands of dollars in depreciation.

Unless you're buying one of the gold models, a Rolex really is quite affordable when considering how long it'll last with proper servicing intervals. It's the mindset of buying one versus the actual cost.
True. I guess it's just the $30K 18K gold day-date that is always on my mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty