Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 06:56 AM

5,139 posts, read 12,713,966 times

Advertisements

Military spends $362M on weight-loss surgery | www.wsbtv.com

"“It's one cosmetic per enlistment, so let’s say you need to get your breasts done, you want to get big boobies, you can get that done,” a recruiter told an undercover Channel 2 producer."

"Some officers even explained how to get around the Army's requirement that surgery be medically necessary. One recruiter mentioned a woman who was able to get plastic surgery by citing depression."

Its one thing if its cancer or injury. But being sad because your boobs are too small gets you a pass? Good grief.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2012, 07:04 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,686,522 times
Implants or military: either way youre gonna get screwed

Old 05-15-2012, 07:12 AM

3,052 posts, read 4,306,249 times
Well if you look at breast augmentation before and after photos, you'll find that a significant amount of women who get them have natural breasts who would appear deformed to most other people. Major unevenness (one breast two cup sizes or more than the other), tubular breasts, extreme ptosis...all of this is very common to see in cosmetic surgery practices. I can see how this would make any woman depressed.

Old 05-15-2012, 07:36 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,397,537 times
OMG...another waste in Military spending

Old 05-15-2012, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
Well if you look at breast augmentation before and after photos, you'll find that a significant amount of women who get them have natural breasts who would appear deformed to most other people. Major unevenness (one breast two cup sizes or more than the other), tubular breasts, extreme ptosis...all of this is very common to see in cosmetic surgery practices. I can see how this would make any woman depressed.

If we lived in a topless society...yeh.

But they can buy a decent bra and get custom padding for way less than 10 grand. If they already had them or bought implants themselves and needed emergency surgery that would be a different story. (infection etc)

Maybe 10 grand in therapy would be better.

I am not anti-implant but I do think its a luxury when its not reconstructive from injury/cancer. What the next step..welfare recipients who can't get a job because their boobs are too imperfect sending them into a spiral of depression rendering them unable to deal with getting a job?

Old 05-15-2012, 11:23 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,050,869 times
I hope this isn't true, but if it is, either way they are going to have to pay for it. You don't just get implants and then you have perfect boobs forever. Scar tissue builds up and you have to go back in for "maintenance". Also, as you age your skin elasticity changes and you also have to decide whether to keep them in and fix them up, or remove them and go back to natural. On a military salary, I don't know that anyone would be able to afford the kind of maintenance that boob jobs require.

If it's true, it makes me really sad for our country. What a disrespectful thing to do. You should join the armed forces because you want to serve your country. You should not go in purely to waste taxpayer money for reasons of vanity or insecurity. And that, too, makes me question the sort of people we have supposedly protecting us - vain, insecure, selfish people? Not the sort of people we should have defending this country.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:08 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,369,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post

And that, too, makes me question the sort of people we have supposedly protecting us - vain, insecure, selfish people? Not the sort of people we should have defending this country.
Thanks for making sweeping generalizations of the 1mil+ manned armed forces based on an article describing less than .1% of the US military.

But, if you really want to make sweeping generalizations, make them based off the current generation of Call of Duty weekend warriors turned US Marine/Army/Air Force/Navy combat soldier.

Best to try and understanding something before criticizing it.

I'm not even sure you even understand what, "Defending this country" means.

Old 05-16-2012, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommodonahue View Post
Thanks for making sweeping generalizations of the 1mil+ manned armed forces based on an article describing less than .1% of the US military.

But, if you really want to make sweeping generalizations, make them based off the current generation of Call of Duty weekend warriors turned US Marine/Army/Air Force/Navy combat soldier.

Best to try and understanding something before criticizing it.

I'm not even sure you even understand what, "Defending this country" means.
First thing I though of was crappy VA hospitals that treat vets like you know what. I thought of the mentally ill homeless vets too. But some people are getting implants? WTH?

Old 05-16-2012, 02:39 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,050,869 times
I know, right? With all the crappy outdated equipment American soldiers have to deal with, the government I suppose places cosmetic surgery above decent helmets and current technology - and taking proper care of our veterans. It's not right.

Old 05-16-2012, 07:06 PM

3,052 posts, read 4,306,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opsimathia View Post
If we lived in a topless society...yeh.
You don't think that being ashamed to show your upper body to a new person you're dating, go to the beach or do anything of the sort can't affect someone's self esteem?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty