Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2013, 01:19 PM

3,052 posts, read 4,305,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
I). How can someone consider and undergo plastic surgery without hating themselves?
The same reason why anyone does anything to ameliorate their appearance in any way. People like to look good and do a lot of things to enhance their personal aesthetics that are completely unessential to life. What people regard as extreme lengths depend on the individual and circumstance. If someone cannot afford to provide themselves, or has a condition that endagers their health should they undergo anesthesia, then undergoing cosmetic surgery is a great length that one would only put themself in if that they had some sort of mental defect or other deficiency. For most normal healthy individuals with the means to afford it, a same day procedure to improve their appearance is far from a great length.

Heck I'm getting two procedures done in one day in May and I'll be home watching TV in the recliner by afternoon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2013, 12:29 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,972,661 times
Quote:
I will always believe cosmetic surgery=self-hate. I have a 17 year old cousin who has already had a nose job (when she was 16). How can someone consider and undergo plastic surgery without hating themselves?

To prevent aging, you have to take care of your health!! They should start teaching this in schools, people are becoming so disconnected from whats real.
Geeze, what IS real? There was a time in which driving in cars over 5 mph was considered unnatural, and flying. Our bodies are a genetic container of sorts. If we don't like what our genes are doing we often try to change it. If we are born in a family with genetic weaknesses we take steps to correct that if we are able to. My husband knew a kid who was born with six fingers on one hand. He got it removed, although it did not hinder his life in any way. Well, it's just a matter of degree. Some people think something looks odd. Maybe it does not hinder their physical life, but they don't like it. If we are capable of changing that, why not?

Often those who complain that it's unnatural just don't have the money to have that option in their lives and so would selfishly try to prevent others from going down that path. Not that YOU are that way, but I've seen it happen.

Old 01-06-2013, 05:44 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,908,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Geeze, what IS real? There was a time in which driving in cars over 5 mph was considered unnatural, and flying. Our bodies are a genetic container of sorts. If we don't like what our genes are doing we often try to change it. If we are born in a family with genetic weaknesses we take steps to correct that if we are able to. My husband knew a kid who was born with six fingers on one hand. He got it removed, although it did not hinder his life in any way. Well, it's just a matter of degree. Some people think something looks odd. Maybe it does not hinder their physical life, but they don't like it. If we are capable of changing that, why not?

Often those who complain that it's unnatural just don't have the money to have that option in their lives and so would selfishly try to prevent others from going down that path. Not that YOU are that way, but I've seen it happen.
Actually most of the people that get plastic surgery that I know would be better off putting that money away. Financing plastic surgery (even things such as $4,000 implants) is a huge business. Most of the wealthy people I know don't have plastic surgery its the poor (mentally and economically) that crave this stuff.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Actually most of the people that get plastic surgery that I know would be better off putting that money away. Financing plastic surgery (even things such as $4,000 implants) is a huge business. Most of the wealthy people I know don't have plastic surgery its the poor (mentally and economically) that crave this stuff.
Yes, probably many people with money see no need for it, but maybe they are attractive enough. Look at Anderson Cooper, born to some money I'd suspect, and gorgeous.

On the other hand, I will venture that most women who we see on tv, even the serious ones like Christiane Amanpour, have some work done, so we have this constant reminder in front of us. I don't think Ms. Clinton has had work done, however.

You make a comment that the poor (mentally and economically) 'crave the stuff'. That's rather harsh, in my book. I don't think Christiane fits that description, neither do my acquaintances who have had work done but don't speak of it. Most reputable physicians do talk to candidates and reject a person if they appear to have psychological issues. And I don't think you'd be a poor person and contemplate such work since I don't know any institution that will lend you money to pay for it.

I don't think, because it's a huge business, that that fact alone should be any sort of deterrent from getting work done.

Frankly, people from all walks of life and dispositions do this.

Old 01-07-2013, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Yes, probably many people with money see no need for it, but maybe they are attractive enough. Look at Anderson Cooper, born to some money I'd suspect, and gorgeous.

On the other hand, I will venture that most women who we see on tv, even the serious ones like Christiane Amanpour, have some work done, so we have this constant reminder in front of us. I don't think Ms. Clinton has had work done, however.

You make a comment that the poor (mentally and economically) 'crave the stuff'. That's rather harsh, in my book. I don't think Christiane fits that description, neither do my acquaintances who have had work done but don't speak of it. Most reputable physicians do talk to candidates and reject a person if they appear to have psychological issues. And I don't think you'd be a poor person and contemplate such work since I don't know any institution that will lend you money to pay for it.

I don't think, because it's a huge business, that that fact alone should be any sort of deterrent from getting work done.

Frankly, people from all walks of life and dispositions do this.

I imagine you and I just know different people who have work done. Perhaps you are an upper middle class woman who is older than me in West Palm Beach or Southern California.

I'm speaking of people who have yet to move out of their parent's houses who get work done and I also have family members that are the most superficial people you will ever meet who have had work done. Upper middle class? Yes, but I'm focusing on people ages 16-24 that have gotten unnecessary work done who are in my life that are also just horrible people who only aspire to build wardrobes and take pictures to upload on facebook.

I have worked with bartenders who have yet to ever move out of their parent's house and spend their earnings on plastic surgery and maybe a flashy car.

Old 01-10-2013, 11:13 AM

19,636 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
I imagine you and I just know different people who have work done. Perhaps you are an upper middle class woman who is older than me in West Palm Beach or Southern California.

I'm speaking of people who have yet to move out of their parent's houses who get work done and I also have family members that are the most superficial people you will ever meet who have had work done. Upper middle class? Yes, but I'm focusing on people ages 16-24 that have gotten unnecessary work done who are in my life that are also just horrible people who only aspire to build wardrobes and take pictures to upload on facebook.

I have worked with bartenders who have yet to ever move out of their parent's house and spend their earnings on plastic surgery and maybe a flashy car.
It's not just younger women doing this. I know plenty of middle aged women who cannot afford it, have massive debt, and look fine as is but will put everything at risk for some surgery that makes little difference. They think they will suddenly meet rich younger men who will fall for them and treat them like queens but it doesn't work that way.

Old 01-10-2013, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
It's not just younger women doing this. I know plenty of middle aged women who cannot afford it, have massive debt, and look fine as is but will put everything at risk for some surgery that makes little difference. They think they will suddenly meet rich younger men who will fall for them and treat them like queens but it doesn't work that way.

It is really amazing. I would like to here some plastic surgery success stories. "I got botox and met a man 10 years younger who is a millionaire many times over"

Old 01-10-2013, 04:35 PM

1,469 posts, read 1,801,620 times
I guess since you have a career already go ahead and get the plastic surgery. But please seek counseling as well, because I hear that some people that get plastic surgery still have low self-esteem and they thought that PS would fix how they felt about themselves and it did not, because everyone does not view beauty the same and to some people they were still considered ugly or not their type. If plastic surgery will make you happy and will make you feel like you have a leg up on the compeitition then go ahead and pay for it. Maybe further down the line you can get your degree.

Old 01-11-2013, 03:29 PM

249 posts, read 504,639 times
this thread is pointless without pics.

Old 01-18-2013, 02:10 PM

Quote:

Yes, I am an older woman.
I am sorry that you live in an area with people who seem to be so superficial. I guess that in my youth I did as well but cosmetic surgery was not such a public issue then. Yeah, I hung out in high school mostly with the offspring of educators and the like. I did want to get my nose done, though, but never did.

I worked my way through school which took up most of my time and later always thought saving and growing my money was more important. After all, I did not have to constantly look at myself.

My chosen field/s required a lot of time and though I dated I never felt a need to marry, nor did I experience that 'ticking clock' so maybe I just did not have the mindset that my appearance was something to make me more marketable. When I did marry it was after I had fully developed 'me' and I'm happy that it all happened that way.

So, no, it was not a driving need; but I am average looking and this woman seems to think her appearance is somewhat exceptional and if I felt that way I would probably get that out of the way by having the surgery. You can try to change your personality and skills and even hobbies, but your appearance usually will not get better without intervention.

Last edited by goldengrain; 01-18-2013 at 02:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty