Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 06:17 AM

5,014 posts, read 6,599,914 times

Advertisements

With the degree, you have greater opportunities to make lateral moves into other areas of your profession beyond direct patient care that can lead to bigger financial rewards. If patient care is the main source of satisfaction for you with nursing, then the degree won't matter so much.

And, if I'm very cynical (or maybe pragmatic?) about the whole thing, if you get the PS, you may get a guy who will finance the degree later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2012, 06:24 AM

9,006 posts, read 13,833,702 times
How many stories do we hear about Ceo's running off with secretaries?
Why don't they pick other Ceo's?

There are Doctors who dated Cna's because they were attractive.
Why didn't they pick other Doctors?
Its because of attractiveness.

Old 07-21-2012, 06:30 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,129,284 times
I will honestly tell you that my secretary's looks did play a factor in why I hired her. I'm glad I did because she's good on and off duty. My only fear is that when she graduates college she will want a different career. But that's life.

Old 07-21-2012, 06:38 AM

9,006 posts, read 13,833,702 times
As far the above post,I guess looks get you into the door.

Old 07-21-2012, 06:58 AM

3,052 posts, read 4,304,418 times
This question is kind of posed in an extreme way, but I think (tasteful) plastic surgery is a good investment for the bulk of women.

I mean, of course I'm biased, I've had two cosmetic procedures, one surgical, and I'm planning rhinoplasty and liposuction in the future.

We live in a society that looks matter, particularly for women. And that can translate into financial windfalls. When I count all the big and little things that strange men have done for me (meaning men that weren't emotionally tied to/invested in me in any way, so they did it on account of their perception of my attractiveness), they translate into the thousands of dollars. I have an Amazon wishlist that a man that I've never physically met before buys me things off of.

I'm also pretty educated, even though I didn't finish my college education I got into a very elite school that everyone recognizes no matter who they are...yet people that graduated my year are still living off their parents while I'm financially independent and have been for years.

I would like to pursue a career in sales, but I know that the focus on how I look won't be done even when I'm done with the service industry.

Last edited by xxbabeechick; 07-21-2012 at 07:11 AM..

Old 07-21-2012, 07:03 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,275,815 times
This thread makes me very sad.

Are men -and women- really that superficial? Really? I have never dated someone who didn't value a smart woman. Do men really want a woman who just sits there and contributes nothing? Who just looks good and that's all? Who wants to be that woman?

What type of woman would even consider this? I think someone famous said, "Beauty fades, dumb is forever."

And sorry, I agree with Trimac. Plastic surgery over a degree? Especially a degree in the healthcare industry? Why is this even a question?

And people are cosigning this mess? Sad indeed.

Old 07-21-2012, 07:11 AM

3,052 posts, read 4,304,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post

Are men -and women- really that superficial? Really? I have never dated someone who didn't value a smart woman. Do men really want a woman who just sits there and contributes nothing? Who just looks good and that's all? Who wants to be that woman?
This isn't an either or proposition in regards to looks vs. brains...it's more specifically what will have the greatest financial windfall, investing in your looks or your degree, which I think in this economy is an extremely viable question. I've invested thousands in my looks so far and I'm not an airhead who can't carry an conversation. I received a higher score on my SAT's than most of the men in successful careers that I meet. Because I like to think I'm both book savvy and savvy in the way the world works I carefully review my options and I'm generally pleased with my decisions.

Old 07-21-2012, 07:33 AM

8,036 posts, read 10,629,469 times
Some people may think you're only joking, and maybe you are in a way, but I completely get that there is some actual validity to what you are saying.

Image projection is a much larger indicator of success than I think a lot of people realize - or want to admit.

Old 07-21-2012, 10:01 AM

1,424 posts, read 5,336,248 times
You began by asking which might be more profitable, but later mentioned that men prefer looks over brains. What is your priority, career and income or a romantic relationship?

Old 07-21-2012, 12:00 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,620,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
This thread makes me very sad.

What type of woman would even consider this? I think someone famous said, "Beauty fades, dumb is forever."

And sorry, I agree with Trimac. Plastic surgery over a degree? Especially a degree in the healthcare industry? Why is this even a question?

And people are cosigning this mess? Sad indeed.
I was told last weekend, by a guy I went on two dates with about a year ago (small town... it's hard not to run into people) that the only reason he didn't take it past the first two dates was because he thought I was smarter than he was and couldn't handle it. His exact words were 'I just don't know what to do with you'.

I was replaced at my last job by a vapid, blonde airhead with acrylic nails (it was a job that required dealing with aircraft parts.. very dirty and in a shop environment) who had never touched a plane in her life, has no education and never graduated high school. Why was she hired? She was hot. Apparently the mechanics hate her because she refuses to touch anything dirty, but the boss-man likes looking at her so she stays and the guys have to do her job. She also gets paid more than I did, which is just a slap in the face.

So yeah, being pretty gives you more opportunities than being plain with education. As for dating, the vast majority of men couldn't care less if you have an education or a good job. In fact, I usually don't tell guys what I do, or the amount of education I have because they almost immediately become disinterested. Telling a guy you're a mechanic with an engineering degree seems like a death wish when it comes to dating as a woman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty