Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 08:16 AM

9,008 posts, read 13,844,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
And so they should have that right. A nurse should set an example for healthy living. Nurses shouldn't be employed if they smoke, if they are obese, or engage in extremely unhealthy behaviour.
I wouldn't expect some "lay" people to understand,but you do know nurses are human just like everyone else?
We come with different body types. I kind of resent being used as an example for healthy living esp since I don't get paid extra to do so. We aren't angels,despite what you have been told.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2012, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
You won't get hired at that ONE hospital, if you are obese. You could be skinny and ugly and get hired there.

And again (and again and again) I don't think anyone has said looks don't matter at all, we've all just repeatedly said skills matter more.

Also, I don't think bariatric surgery is considered plastic surgery.
Some doctors won't do bariatric surgery unless you are morbidly obese or obese with a chronic disease.
I fall into neither camp,so I guess I could go for lypo to get the percentage down.

Old 07-22-2012, 08:37 AM

3,516 posts, read 6,784,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Some doctors won't do bariatric surgery unless you are morbidly obese or obese with a chronic disease.
I fall into neither camp,so I guess I could go for lypo to get the percentage down.
HA! Yeah, because that's more economical. Why change your diet and exercise routine for FREE when you could have a doc lipo you down 30lbs (if that were actually possible)?

Come on, now, you're really start to reach here.

Old 07-22-2012, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
HA! Yeah, because that's more economical. Why change your diet and exercise routine for FREE when you could have a doc lipo you down 30lbs (if that were actually possible)?

Come on, now, you're really start to reach here.
There are doctors in The Dominican Republic who do lipo for $2500.
Diet and exercise may or may not work.

Old 07-22-2012, 04:08 PM

115 posts, read 174,719 times
Depends on what you value in life. If you want to be a teacher, then breast augmentation will not bring you any closer to your goal. (At least not in the U.S.A.)

Old 07-22-2012, 06:34 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,910,845 times
Quote:
It seems with all the focus on looks of women I would be better off getting plastic surgery than going back to get my degree.

Does it seem for women nowadays that its more profitable to get surgery to improve their looks vs getting a college degree?
There have been studies that prove beautiful people get treated better and make more money.
Also,plenty of people with Bachelor's Degrees who can't find employment.

What do you think?

Maybe I should have posted this in the non romantic relationships forum?
Or the Finanacial section under personal?

From what I have learned in my short time in the business world is women who use their looks to get ahead generally are not taken seriously or trusted enough for big promotions or extra responsibility.

If you rather gamble and try to find a sugar daddy or rich husband than you may be better off with plastic surgery but a degree in a solid business major such as accounting, finance, etc., a degree in health care or science, or a degree in mathematics or computer related stuff will be a true investment in yourself and you will be able to afford all of the plastic surgery you want

There are plenty of people with BAs who can't find jobs. These are generally people with Liberal Arts degrees in things such as History, English, Philosophy, Womens Studies, etc.

These are usually "kid" types whose parents never told them the value of a practical degree. I know many people like this. I also know many people who studied marketing, nursing, and accounting who are earning almost as much as their parents make.

I will say as a young even average looking woman it is hard to be taken seriously in male dominated fields which is generally everything outside of nursing, child care, teaching, and social work. I worked in Finance/Insurance and I couldn't believe how much harder I had to work to prove my worth versus the male secretary that was also doing my job.

I thought I would use my looks and charm to get ahead as I had done for years bartending in resorts and clubs, but you generally look like a fool and are not taken seriously because veering towards any form of sexy in the office is just unprofessional. And being classy and cute in a male dominated envirement will secure your lifetime position of being world's best secretary for life.

Look at the women who reached the top of the business world. They aren't classically attractive. They are no nonsense and probably strict mothers.

Old 07-22-2012, 06:46 PM

I have never been told I might be better off with cosmetic surgery than with furthering my knowledge and skill set.

What kind of people are you guys spending time with?

I have been told by multiple people to never change my body and I know if I walked away from my education which is the foundation for my career, I would never let myself get over it.

How can you really consider something like this? Do you look that ugly that plastic surgery will drastically change your life?

Invest in nice clothes and MAC make up...now that I'm on page 3 this thread is depressing.

Old 07-22-2012, 06:50 PM

Quote:

I know some women who did get breast implants or nose jobs but didn't graduate beyond high school yet they are married to middle class men.

Well that's something to aspire to

If your only aspiration in life is marrying a middle class man then I guess you should just go with the plastic surgery and save the space in class for student who actually wants to be there.

/End thread.

Old 07-22-2012, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the cheap shot btw. You have to be an RN with an Adn already to get the Bsn from UOP.
Explain to me how some pretty student in my class was able to have her degree paid for by a man just BECAUSE she was pretty with fake breasts?

Does this really impress you?

Maybe he loves her and they are a team in a committed relationship?

Maybe he is twice her age, married, and pays her way through school to keep her as his booty call?

I was actually offered by a man twice my age to put me through school in Florida if I would have a relationship with him because his marriage had become cold. Guess what I did...

I said no and two years later the endowment at a private college in Boston is putting me through school.

Sleep with gross old men to go to State College in Florida and feel like I must be hot to have some random guy put me through college vs. Better myself in solid, tangible ways through hard work and go to a prestigious New England university for FREE.

I see this as a way to help you look at the bigger picture. Focus on making your life FULL and HAPPY and good things and people will come into your life.

No man can give you exactly what you want out of life, why settle for whoever is willing to put you through school when you can do it on your own and get the respect you deserve?

Old 07-22-2012, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
As for the first sentence, my mom told me a lot of that, and I touched upon that in one of my posts...but what I also touched upon was the fact that are are a ton of variables on the outset that affect how far your education will get you.

People like to think that they've earned what they have "all on their own" (whatever that means), but the truth is beauty, social connections, your parents' connection/status, and luck can play far greater factors in your level of success in your career and your life than your education. Some people may refer to these as "unearned credits" but I think that's loaded language. Anyone who refuses to acknowledge that is simply in denial.
Maybe back in the day..but I just don't see that happening now. It isn't as common now days to meet a kid at college whose parents own XYZ company. If this was true, how do students from all over the world come here to study, have no one in this country, and become successful young professionals with their degrees here?

Its about smarts, ability, and skill today, not social hierarchy- as was such during the renaissance in Europe.

The exams to get into grad school programs, MBAS, master degrees, Law School, Med School etc. are IQ tests.

No one wants to say it because it hurts, but you are only going to get your MBA at Yale or become a doctor, public accountant, or and thing else that requires more than a state college master's degree you need to have a strong intellect and drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
If its not a troll question it must be one of those ' only in America' things.

seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty