Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 02:20 PM

701 posts, read 1,563,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Currency Pair Crocodile View Post
The only ones I know who wear such sunblock stuff are the white folks, which is understandable. If you are darker and are applying such stuff, it's just SILLY. Big time.
No, the ignorance in the Black community surrounding sun screen and skin care is what's SILLY. Skin cancer is not a joke; it does not discriminate, and yes, darker skinned folks can get melanoma, too! Just because we're darker does not mean we are completely immune to the sun's harsh rays. Read about it and educate yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2012, 03:33 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,811,463 times
Yes of course.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:34 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,724,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Currency Pair Crocodile View Post
The only ones I know who wear such sunblock stuff are the white folks, which is understandable. If you are darker and are applying such stuff, it's just SILLY. Big time.
Totally incorrect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
I have another question. How do you know when youre suppose to use sunscreen? I've been reading articles and it states that even on cloudy days you are suppose to wear sunscreen. So am I suppose to wear sunscreen during all seasons too? even winter?
Depends on where you live. Harmful UV rays are much more intense the closer you are to the equator where you can absolutely get a burn on a cloudy day. The further away the less the intensity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowian View Post
I've heard and read that coconut oil and shea butter are natural sunscreens, in case you want to research this.
The maximum protection you can expect from a totally unadulterated combination of the two is average 8 SPF which is pretty minimal so that should always be taken into consideration. I've lived in the Caribbean for close to 30 years and when either at the beach or out on the water I don't use less than 15 SPF and usually 30 SPF - and have a healthy tan.

Old 08-07-2012, 10:01 AM

8,411 posts, read 7,427,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbelles View Post
No, the ignorance in the Black community surrounding sun screen and skin care is what's SILLY. Skin cancer is not a joke; it does not discriminate, and yes, darker skinned folks can get melanoma, too! Just because we're darker does not mean we are completely immune to the sun's harsh rays. Read about it and educate yourself.
Who are you to bring the black community into this subject? I know plenty of minorities that don't wear sunscreen. Most of the doctors I've seen have recommended me to wear sunscreen when out in the sun for a long period of time so I'm sure most of us know to wear sunscreen just like we know smoking causes cancer. So stop with the generalizations. There aren't nearly as many black people that get skin cancer as white people just like other cancers are more gear towards some more than others. We all should do many things that we don't do like eating from all the food groups every day. So OP asked a simple question. Stop turning it into a race issue. The comment is ignorance

Old 08-07-2012, 01:26 PM

701 posts, read 1,563,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singlelady10 View Post
Who are you to bring the black community into this subject? I know plenty of minorities that don't wear sunscreen. Most of the doctors I've seen have recommended me to wear sunscreen when out in the sun for a long period of time so I'm sure most of us know to wear sunscreen just like we know smoking causes cancer. So stop with the generalizations. There aren't nearly as many black people that get skin cancer as white people just like other cancers are more gear towards some more than others. We all should do many things that we don't do like eating from all the food groups every day. So OP asked a simple question. Stop turning it into a race issue. The comment is ignorance
I don't care about how many minorities you know who don't wear skin cancer. This Black woman is bringing minorities into this equation because do we not have skin? Dark skin or not, darker skinned folks can still get skin cancer! I can't believe I have to argue about this because it's a fact, despite what many believe. No one on this earth is immune to skin cancer and just because it is not as prevalent amongst dark folks does not mean it cannot affect us. Everyone should be taking preventative measures with sun screen. Don't let the brown color of our skin lull you into a false sense of security.

I am reacting to the fact that a previous poster thought it was silly for dark skinned people to wear sun screen. Um, how was that not an ignorant comment? There are people who genuinely think that darker skinned people cannot get skin cancer.

Old 08-07-2012, 01:30 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,805,729 times
I'm very white and I've backed off some on the sunscreen for 2 reasons: 1. It breaks me out really bad and has some nasty chemicals in it and 2. You get your vitamin D from the sun and even though you can take supplements, I suspect the sun is a better source. However, I wear hats outdoors to protect my face from aging and I use sunscreen if I'm going to be out for longer than usual, like a float trip or an afternoon spent swimming but even then I'd rather wear a t-shirt. They say it's not the sun exposure that's bad so much as getting really bad sunburns and I have before, esp as a child but fortunately I was never a sunbather--it felt like a monumental waste of time, even when I was a teenager. I'll probably get skin cancer so keeping an eye on it and I suspect it will come from the earlier damage when I was a child.

BTW, I've heard that astaxanthin is a supplement that will protect your skin from sun damage but I wouldn't rely on it too much--as in, if you're as fish belly white as me and you haven't been out all season then don't rely on it to protect you on an all day float trip.

Old 08-07-2012, 05:54 PM

48 posts, read 95,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshFresh View Post
I have another question. How do you know when youre suppose to use sunscreen? I've been reading articles and it states that even on cloudy days you are suppose to wear sunscreen. So am I suppose to wear sunscreen during all seasons too? even winter?
Yes. You should wear sunscreen in autumn, spring, summer, and winter... even if there are clouds in the sky. The clouds do not block the harmful rays and people are known to get sunburns in the winter months.

Old 08-09-2012, 06:28 AM

8,411 posts, read 7,427,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbelles View Post
I don't care about how many minorities you know who don't wear skin cancer. This Black woman is bringing minorities into this equation because do we not have skin? Dark skin or not, darker skinned folks can still get skin cancer! I can't believe I have to argue about this because it's a fact, despite what many believe. No one on this earth is immune to skin cancer and just because it is not as prevalent amongst dark folks does not mean it cannot affect us. Everyone should be taking preventative measures with sun screen. Don't let the brown color of our skin lull you into a false sense of security.

I am reacting to the fact that a previous poster thought it was silly for dark skinned people to wear sun screen. Um, how was that not an ignorant comment? There are people who genuinely think that darker skinned people cannot get skin cancer.

I don't care that you don't believe you have to argue because you don't. But like I said in my previous post, don't bring THE BLACK COMMUNITY into this subject because one or two people asked about it. THAT'S MORE IGNORANCE on YOUR part, no theirs.

Also, I haven't read anyone in this post states they can't get skin cancer. We can get lung cancer. Do you walk around with a surgerical mask on to avoid the pollution so YOU don't get lung cancer? I doubt it. I CAN'T believe the igronance of your community to not protect yourself from lung cancer (sarastic comment)!!!

Your race card has failed.

Again, OP I would recommend you wear sunscreen if you are going to be in the sun for long periods of time. It's not a stupid question and you aren't apart of any ignorant community that this poster has made up in their head.

Old 08-09-2012, 06:49 AM

18,531 posts, read 18,765,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
Well, how dark skinned is dark skinned enough? I thought all people were susceptible to the suns uv/ub rays.
of course we are..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty