Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What body types look more attractive for both genders/more reasonable?
The painting 28 77.78%
What is idealized today 8 22.22%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 08:15 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,102,565 times

Advertisements

Hopefully the nudity won't offend, since it's a painting:

Stumbled upon this idealized depiction of Cupid and Psyche by chance (no not the cherub baby like figure he became later)...forget mythology, what do you think of the body types portrayed in this painting? Psyche has a very womanly figure, her thighs are full but not fat, although her hips are a tad wide. Her breasts are perky but not huge (is she a teenager?). I think her figure is very appealing. As for Cupid, he is not 'buff' generally slim but muscular, his arms and legs are of natural sizes. I'm not sure if these portray adolescents or adults (Cupid's face looks young), but besides the point.

How do you think this compares to today's idea: stick think women with artificial balloon-like breasts, and bulky men who look a lot thicker than their women?

Also the comparison between male and female. Women are supposed to have curves, not be skinny with fake ****. Men are like the hulk while women are like spindly birds. At least here they seem more equal in weight. For males weight is concentrated in the muscles and for women as fat. Fat itself isn't terrible - breasts are mostly fat tissue, and a lot of the curviness comes from padding as well as frame.

Personally I prefer the depiction in this painting.

Last edited by Trimac20; 02-09-2012 at 08:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 08:28 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,740,782 times
Men mostly will call you fat either way. *Unless you're really skinny, then they'll find something else to say. 'Cuz that's how they roll...

Last edited by Doll Eyes; 02-09-2012 at 08:39 PM..

Old 02-09-2012, 09:44 PM

184 posts, read 703,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Women are supposed to...
tell me more about what all women everywhere are supposed to be.

Old 02-09-2012, 09:48 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,021,793 times
Cupid looks young, like a teenager in that painting. Actually so does Psyche too, maybe they are meant to look youthful as symbolism.

Old 02-09-2012, 09:54 PM

26,816 posts, read 22,591,590 times
They look... well...
they look European)))

Old 02-09-2012, 10:14 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,787,171 times
Quote:

How do you think this compares to today's idea: stick think women with artificial balloon-like breasts, and bulky men who look a lot thicker than their women?
Your question would be so much more meaningful if you included examples of these supposed modern idealizations and proof that they are, indeed, idealized by a large number of people.

I hear people go on and on about how women are expected to look like "stick figures" these days to be considered attractive, but I don't see large women hurting for male attention. I think a little searching through these forums will show you that skinny women get bashed as much as obese women.

Old 02-09-2012, 10:22 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,371,781 times
"would" the woman in the painting.

Old 02-09-2012, 11:20 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,102,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
Your question would be so much more meaningful if you included examples of these supposed modern idealizations and proof that they are, indeed, idealized by a large number of people.

I hear people go on and on about how women are expected to look like "stick figures" these days to be considered attractive, but I don't see large women hurting for male attention. I think a little searching through these forums will show you that skinny women get bashed as much as obese women.
Yeah I'm sure it's TOTALLY equal...

Old 02-09-2012, 11:30 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,429,832 times
more realistic than modern ideals probably. The Grecian male ideals were a lot more muscular than cupid looks though. he does not look particularly macho here.

Old 02-10-2012, 05:55 AM

3,516 posts, read 6,787,171 times
Quote:
Yeah I'm sure it's TOTALLY equal...
Well seeing as you've never been a skinny woman nor a fat one and the fact that you yourself have started multiple threads with veiled intentions of knocking thin women, yeah, the thin get knocked more than worshipped.

And again, I think your question is meaningless without a picture as an example of the "modern ideal". It seems to describe Tara Reid or Victoria Beckham, and I don't know many people who consider them any sort of bodily ideal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty