Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 05:19 PM

4,739 posts, read 10,443,387 times

Advertisements

I used to travel quite a bit and one of the nice things about Hooters was the grilled fish, which was a relatively healthy option not available elsewhere in some parts of the country. That and the exploitation of women... It seems to me that men are being exploited fairly profitably at Hooters, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2012, 05:28 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,841,954 times
Some guys must be really lame to buy food and ogle the waitresses at Hooters.
Why would any self respecting man bring his wife and kids there anyway?

Old 09-05-2012, 08:11 PM

559 posts, read 1,395,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
That was an interesting article. One thing it didn't address was the thing that the regular mentioned above seems most interested in, the range of skin tones and whether the lighter toned African American women were more successful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Yeah, there was a quick mention along the lines of "skin tone" didn't seem to be relevant to success. But I wonder how true that was.

But I do wonder how many tones were represented in her experience. Depending on where you live, I know people my tone or darker are pretty rare....
That would be interesting to know. I saw that the Miss Hooters International she mentioned has a darker skin tone.

I remember seeing an episode of Undercover Boss that was about Hooters. I guess I'm so used to seeing straight hair that I didn't really notice that all of the girls had straight hair.

It makes sense that Hooters would have certain requirements and expectations for hair, body size, and so on. I'm sure that they don't even make uniforms above a certain size. I think that the company wants the way the girls look to be their main selling point - not the food, atmosphere or anything else that other resturants focus on. Of course they'd want to provide good service and have good food, but that's not what's bringing a lot of their customers in.

Old 09-06-2012, 12:57 AM

2,953 posts, read 5,120,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
That was an interesting article. One thing it didn't address was the thing that the regular mentioned above seems most interested in, the range of skin tones and whether the lighter toned African American women were more successful.
Yeah the girl in the blog is a lightskinned African American. I kinda rolled my eyes when I read her experience....

Old 09-06-2012, 01:33 AM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,688,919 times
I was hired at hooters as a teen but I had to quit before I even started! (mom)

Old 09-06-2012, 09:58 AM

3,516 posts, read 6,783,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Some guys must be really lame to buy food and ogle the waitresses at Hooters.
Why would any self respecting man bring his wife and kids there anyway?
Jeez.

Some people legitimately enjoy the food. I've been, it's alright. A little too much fried stuff for me.

And is it really so wrong to enjoy talking to a pretty waitress? Doesn't mean a man is necessarily ogling or eye raping her, he's just indulging in the fantasy that this pretty young woman is interested in him. It's harmless.

Old 09-06-2012, 10:24 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,777,511 times
The last time I went IN a Hooters and sat down and ate I was with a bunch of guy friends and it was years ago. Their wings never seem to be as fresh or tasty as they used to be, so I haven't even eaten them in a long time - we used to order them in bulk take out for lunch at work. Whenever I did go I could never understand why a guy would take a date/wife or his family in there, it just made no sense to me. Now that I'm married the thought never even crossed my mind until one day when passing one by while trying to figure out what to do for lunch my wife says, "OOh, wanna go to Hooters?" I gave her a legitmately turned off look. "Ummm, no - I'm not going to be the guy who brings his wife and kid to a Hooters restaurant." She laughs and gives me this boast about wanting to go in there and out hooter the Hooters girls and I vainly try to explain how I DO actually like the wings, but that they really aren't that good anymore. It was almost like a guy trying to explain that he reads Playboy for the articles.

Old 09-06-2012, 01:37 PM

2,382 posts, read 5,396,070 times
My mind is boggled that there are women out there who would resort to surgery, surgery! to keep a job at Hooters.

I did learn a new term for Hooters and the Tilted Kilt (a Hooters type place) the other day "BREASTuarant."
http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/...t_of_.htmlhile

Old 09-06-2012, 02:24 PM

3,984 posts, read 5,016,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
Yeah the girl in the blog is a lightskinned African American. I kinda rolled my eyes when I read her experience....
I guess the only people we should look to for wisdom and important knowledge in the world should only be presented by fully black women. I mean, anyone else, and I mean ANYONE else, simply isn't important and should be discounted.

Old 09-06-2012, 05:40 PM

1,514 posts, read 2,120,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
We all thank you for that mature response up there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty