Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 12:37 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Funny, this is WHY I get tattoos.

Interesting,
Doing drugs says to me that a person does drugs
Being promiscuous says to me that a person is promiscuous
Having ambivalent feelings about being gainfully employed tells me that someone has ambivalent feelings about being gainfully employed.

Some people might think that misspelling the world 'ambivalent' might say that the speller was any manner of idiot. I think it just says that person probably doesn't have spell check on the device they are using to access the forum. What does it say to you?
It's funny that people mention doing drugs, because one of the reasons I started getting tattoos was to cover up the track marks on my arms from repeated IVs growing up. I used to get judged CONSTANTLY for them, and people who looked at my arms would assume I was an addict. I found being judged for having visible tattoos was much less harsh. I get an IV infusion every other week for a genetic disorder I have and considering I've been getting them for nearly 20 years I have quite a collection of marks

I don't do any drugs though...rarely drink, hold multiple college degrees (including an Aerospace Engineering degree)have my pilots license, A&P licenses and a few ASE certs as well. Job-wise I've never really found it to be an issue because my credentials speak for themselves. It took me 5 days to find a job after I got laid off and I was able to sit back and choose what I wanted, tattoos and all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2012, 01:20 PM

1,406 posts, read 2,723,264 times
I have tattoos... all of them can be covered up rather easily.

My motto to those snarky folks who feel the need to judge my ink: if you don't like my tattoos then don't look at them. Just like I won't gawk at your face because I don't like it. lol

Old 09-23-2012, 01:39 PM

1,189 posts, read 2,554,760 times
The problem is that looking at these ridiculous tattoos can't be avoided given that so many people have taken to getting incredibly large tattoos. I was standing in line at the store. The lady in front of me had a rather large tattoo on her back of a special kind of plant that people love to smoke. Of course she just had to wear a shirt that exposed her back. She wanted everyone to know what her favorite pastime was.

Old 09-23-2012, 01:46 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy74 View Post
The problem is that looking at these ridiculous tattoos can't be avoided given that so many people have taken to getting incredibly large tattoos. I was standing in line at the store. The lady in front of me had a rather large tattoo on her back of a special kind of plant that people love to smoke. Of course she just had to wear a shirt that exposed her back. She wanted everyone to know what her favorite pastime was.
I have birds and flowers on my arm. What does that say about me?

I do agree that getting pot leaves tattooed on you is supremely idiotic though. I stay far, far away from any type of drugs (Even excederin makes me shaky).

If you don't like it, ignore it. If I had a freak out over people doing things I may or may not approve of I'd be in a constant state of anxiety.

Old 09-23-2012, 02:15 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,387,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
I have two small tattoos both of which are covered by everyday clothing. I really don't have issues with the choices other people make for themselves. The only thing sort of irks me is when heavily tatted people complain when they are often discriminated against during the hiring process.

Tattoos are a CHOICE and with every decision comes consequences...while discrimination in hiring on the basis of tattos might be misguided and some of these folks might be some of the best nad the brightest I still support an employers right to set personal limits on what is considered acceptable by their own standards.
This.

Old 09-23-2012, 02:37 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,308,502 times
Quote:
looking at these ridiculous tattoos can't be avoided
I avoid looking at stuff all the time.

Old 09-23-2012, 02:47 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,813,278 times
When I was young, men had tattoos and women had earrings. Now men have earrings and women have tattoos!
I see so many women with tattoos nowadays that it makes me wonder how that ink work will look when those women are in their 90s!

Old 09-23-2012, 02:49 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,364,652 times
Quote:
Well, I have to agree. That is pretty ridiculous. But I suppose if it is what she wants, then it is what she has to live with. I am not one to judge her for her tattoo or for showing her tattoo.

I may take offense if she were running around naked, or if she were actually smoking marijuana, etc.

I don't think she was out of line for showing her tattoo at a store in line to check out.

Now, my tattoos are not obscene nor should they bother anyone but when I go to something like a funeral, I cover them. I dress appropriate for the situation, but the things I wear are the same things I would wear even if I did not have tattoos.

Old 09-23-2012, 03:07 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,308,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
When I was young, men had tattoos and women had earrings. Now men have earrings and women have tattoos!
I see so many women with tattoos nowadays that it makes me wonder how that ink work will look when those women are in their 90s!
How old are you Mouldy? I wonder how different your face will look at 90 compared to when you were 20?

Old 09-23-2012, 03:38 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,813,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
How old are you Mouldy? I wonder how different your face will look at 90 compared to when you were 20?
Depends on whether or not I get there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty