Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 11:24 AM

3,052 posts, read 4,304,636 times

Advertisements

I find it a combination of played out, annoying and borderline offensive for someone to say that someone who doesn't model should for a variety of reasons.

1. Not everyone wants to model, or have any sort of spotlight on them to begin with.

2. Most of these women are just above average looking girls, which means nothing in terms of modeling.

3. There are better ways to try to get laid by someone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2012, 12:15 PM

5,139 posts, read 12,710,225 times
Does every woman want to model? No
What is the need or sense for every woman to be a model? What? Maybe in HS... .
What are women really seeking? Depends on the person

I did it as it was offered to me just like any other job. Why? Because I though it was absolutely ridiculous it was even offered and had to have fun with that world. Also...pays rather well without education or experience. Since it wasn't a pick up line and a legit offer I took it up. It was fun. That is my why: fun way of earning money! Who doesn't want that?

I used my money for school/life just like anyone else at whatever stepping stone place they are at in life.

If someone used that line in a bar I would ask what agency they are from...

LOL

I'll take some more easy money any day!

Old 12-20-2012, 12:18 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,622,386 times
The same reason girls post 1000 Facebook photos of themselves.

Attention.

Plus, unfortunately, women are judged primarily on how appealing they look, so to be told you can model (i.e. get paid for looking a certain way) you are being told you are desirable.

Old 12-20-2012, 06:02 PM

1,338 posts, read 2,024,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
The same reason girls post 1000 Facebook photos of themselves.

Attention.

Plus, unfortunately, women are judged primarily on how appealing they look, so to be told you can model (i.e. get paid for looking a certain way) you are being told you are desirable.
Yep, girls on Facebook or on dating sites with those professional model-esque pictures. And these aren't necessarily young girls either, many of the girls on my Facebook that change their pics up so frequently are of the late 20's/early 30's variety.

Old 12-20-2012, 06:05 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,400,633 times
vanity has no limit.
we hear so much about male ego. something is missing from the story may 50%?.

Old 12-20-2012, 06:32 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,781,250 times
Well as someone who models I must say its been nothing but a positive experience. I'm a very shy and quiet person and modeling has taught me confidence and made me comfortable with being the center of attention without freaking out. I've also met many wonderful people I wouldn't otherwise have met and, yes, it can be a very big ego boost. And after many years of being entirely ignored by the opposite sex, it's nice to experience the reverse and then some.

And I've had experiences I wouldn't have otherwise, like going clubbing with a certain Project Runway winner and walking the runways of New York. Maybe it's small potatoes to some, but it's been fabulous for me.

Old 12-21-2012, 01:56 PM

1,338 posts, read 2,024,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnexpectedError View Post
Well as someone who models I must say its been nothing but a positive experience. I'm a very shy and quiet person and modeling has taught me confidence and made me comfortable with being the center of attention without freaking out. I've also met many wonderful people I wouldn't otherwise have met and, yes, it can be a very big ego boost. And after many years of being entirely ignored by the opposite sex, it's nice to experience the reverse and then some.

And I've had experiences I wouldn't have otherwise, like going clubbing with a certain Project Runway winner and walking the runways of New York. Maybe it's small potatoes to some, but it's been fabulous for me.
Well ok, but you're talking about actual modeling where one gets paid for it and lives that lifestyle. I'm not sure that most women want that. They want to flirt with that lifestyle but don't want it completely. What I have noticed, though, is that women seem to be a lot more into "photo shoots" these days because of the fact that there are avenues (facebook, instagram, dating sites) where they can show these professional photos off, get compliments, yet still live their normal lives. Well, normal, if they don't let the compliments get to their heads.

Old 12-22-2012, 09:45 AM

368 posts, read 577,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Most people want to feel beautiful, and have their "beauty" or "attractiveness" appreciated and validated.
This, is the truth

Old 12-24-2012, 05:06 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,043,908 times
Little girls are raised to think that beauty is the ticket to popularity, success and happiness in life. It seems many young women never grow out of that 'Barbie doll phase'. Modelling, for the most part, is all about image and glamour and getting attention. Girls who go for it seem to spend a lot of time thinking about their looks, as opposed to say astro-physics or something, if you get what I mean. But people have to model, and if you're successful it can seem like easy model, so it's always going to be there. Recruiters often approach girls with offers for one-off jobs which can lead to a 'career' in modelling.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:30 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,988,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by napy666 View Post
What are your thoughts on these questions?
I was a model in the late 1950s and early 60s. What did I want? A good income while I went to school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty