Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is new-looking, clean, but used Victoria's Secret underwear a hand-me-down or should I just throw th
Hand them down! 14 20.59%
Thow them out 48 70.59%
Other. Please explain. 6 8.82%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 10:05 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,906,201 times

Advertisements

I never considered it but I'm cleaning out my dresser and have way too much underwear. A lot of it I can't even wear because they're XS from Victorias Secret. I'm now a medium.

I bought a lot of them when I was 18-20 and making good money cocktail waitressing full-time (and blowing all of it on clothes and sushi). Most of them are of the 3 for 30 variety so good quality lingere. The 5 for $25 cottons are just going to the trash because they look old.

I have a 16 year old cousin who is always asking for my hand-me-downs like jeans, shirts, etc. I'm wondering if giving some cute, new-looking underwear is weird?

What do you ladies think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2013, 12:21 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,300,209 times
Sell them to men on ebay.

Use the money to buy more sushi and some undies for your cousin

Old 04-21-2013, 12:34 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,355,088 times
Let her make the choice.

Old 04-21-2013, 06:27 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,179,423 times
There's always places like Good Will Stores that think that wearing old underwear is better than going without.

However, be sure you're going to be able to maintain this new size. Chances are that you won't and then you will have to buy new ones. Also, as you age, you will apreciate a larger size.

Old 04-21-2013, 06:33 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,226,239 times
Personally I think it is beyond gross and disgusting but since I am not the one who is going to wear someone else's used underwear you should do what you want.

Old 04-21-2013, 07:09 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,835,096 times
Like,doesn't stuff from the vagina leak out unto underwear?
It just happens because we are women. Nothing gross about it.

More importantly,I don't think a 16 year old should be wearing VS.

Old 04-21-2013, 08:30 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,623,897 times
Not for me but then again I don't need to use second hand underwear. At the end of the day it can't be that gross if it has been washed unless it is horribly stained and really off putting. I personally prefer to buy underwear which has never been worn before but that is a cultural hang up , there is little logical about it.

If someone is poor then I don't see why there should be such a stigma attached to it as long as it has been cleaned. The good things about human secretions is that they can usually be eradicted with some laundry detergent.

Logically and environmentally it would certainly make more sense if we were not so wasteful or squeamish about what is really not that terrible a concept.

As I said cultural hang ups, we all have them. I don't have to use previously loved underwear but it hardly grosses me out that someone who is not as privileged financiallly as I am might need to consider the option. I just realise my own distaste is rather silly and not particularily common sensical.

I am pretty sure a few days living on the streets or in the Jungle would make me a lot more sensible when it comes to such a benign issue.... Just as the stomach is remarkably resilient when faced with true hunger.

We are all "gross" and all secrete various fluids. And still wear our underwear again after washing it out. Our secretions are no less gross than someone else's.... At the end of the day a good wash will kill and destroy any remnants of anything dirty or disgusting. If people are that worried about it then use a bleach solution. How many people never use public toilets or even the toilets at friends' or families' houses ??? Putting your bum where others' have gone before.

Old 04-21-2013, 09:44 AM

571 posts, read 1,200,703 times
I think the issue here is how will your 16-year-old cousin respond to the offer (since she clearly likes your style and gladly accepts your other clothes).

I say don't offer your underwear to your cousin. It is entirely different to donate them. Giving them to someone you know may be offensive and perhaps her parents would say "Does she think you're desperate? Don't take anything from her." Your cousin make ask for your clothes because she loves your style, rather than it be because she has a real need. Underwear is wayyyy too intimate.

I agree with not being wasteful, though. If your underclothes are in great condition, then by all means donate them. Someone else may not mind. I just wouldn't risk offending a family member.

(BTW, if you get the vibe she isn't the type to mind, then bring up the topic about resale stores, tell her there were some cute underclothes and see what her reaction is.)

Old 04-21-2013, 11:43 AM

861 posts, read 1,455,562 times
No, you can catch AIDs like that.

Old 04-21-2013, 11:52 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,814,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFisher View Post
No, you can catch AIDs like that.
Bunk! No one has ever caught HIV/AIDS from clean underwear. You clearly have not kept up with current knowledge.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty