Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 02:40 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,145,579 times

Advertisements

Perhaps it's a blessing in disguise, because I am completely immune to shopoholicism, because shopping is a nightmare for tall females!

I'm 5'11, so I'm definitely an outlier, but I can't be the only one, right?

Sometimes I contemplate moving to a permanently tropical climate so I don't have to worry about covering my annoying gawky limbs.

I have a 36.5" inseam, so even the ever-elusive 'Longs' I find occasionally at a few big stores are capris on me...

Long sleeved shirts never completely cover my wrist.

Forget about coats and jackets...

This makes it difficult to look professional (suits = ), or stay warm when it's cold. Or look at all stylish, since my selection is very limited.

Why is there plenty of clothing for short women and even plus size women, but not tall women?

Is it simply clothing manufacturers being cheap on fabric? I'm only a size 2. Surely more fabric is used for plus sized clothing.

So why are tall women stuck clothes shopping online?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2014, 04:13 PM

706 posts, read 1,180,650 times
I'm not as tall as you, but I'm 5'9". I wear between a 33.5 to a 34 inseam. I've given up on finding long lengths in the stores. When it comes to pants, I pretty much shop online exclusively. Every now and then you can luck up on a long length at certain stores (Gap, Limited, etc). Your best bet is online.

Old 10-10-2014, 04:14 PM

706 posts, read 1,180,650 times
And the reason why they don't stock many longer lengths is because most women are not that tall. I think the average height for a woman is 5'5" or 5'6"?

Old 10-10-2014, 05:55 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,846,929 times
Online unhemmed pants might work. Look at Lands End or Eddie Bauer. They hem them to your request.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 10-10-2014 at 07:38 PM..

Old 10-10-2014, 06:17 PM

14,254 posts, read 14,754,235 times
My wife has the opposite problem. She is 5ft and says most things (especially pants) are to long for her. I tell her to buy what she wants and take them to the tailor.

Old 10-11-2014, 01:48 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,097,080 times
im 5'10 as well I have had to settle on wearing yoga pants because other pants don't fit me right and I hate it .Jeans forget it . The long tall coats for men suit me well and I have my dads long wool coat that I wear all winter long and I don't know what I will do when that coat goes because it fits me perfectly . Yep OP I so know what you are feeling . The tops are pretty stinky too for a tall woman because of the sleeves not fitting right either .

Old 10-11-2014, 01:51 PM

4,038 posts, read 4,866,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Perhaps it's a blessing in disguise, because I am completely immune to shopoholicism, because shopping is a nightmare for tall females!

I'm 5'11, so I'm definitely an outlier, but I can't be the only one, right?

Sometimes I contemplate moving to a permanently tropical climate so I don't have to worry about covering my annoying gawky limbs.

I have a 36.5" inseam, so even the ever-elusive 'Longs' I find occasionally at a few big stores are capris on me...

Long sleeved shirts never completely cover my wrist.

Forget about coats and jackets...

This makes it difficult to look professional (suits = ), or stay warm when it's cold. Or look at all stylish, since my selection is very limited.

Why is there plenty of clothing for short women and even plus size women, but not tall women?

Is it simply clothing manufacturers being cheap on fabric? I'm only a size 2. Surely more fabric is used for plus sized clothing.

So why are tall women stuck clothes shopping online?
My mom shopped for professional clothes from the Pendleton catalog. They have a special catalog for talls. And Eddie Bauer offers everything in a "tall" option. For men, there are special "big and tall" shops. I don't know about anything like that for women.

Old 10-11-2014, 02:46 PM

22,599 posts, read 47,698,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbiePoster View Post
My mom shopped for professional clothes from the Pendleton catalog. They have a special catalog for talls..
Do you have a link for that?
I was unable to find tall with them....

Old 10-11-2014, 04:37 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,933,445 times
Embrace cropped pants and wear cute shoes. I am 5'10" and have virtually given up finding pants and sleeves long enough for me. So.... cropped (not capris) pants, cute shoes, and 3/4 length sleeves have become my go-to look.

Old 10-11-2014, 06:13 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,608,945 times
You're fortunate that online shopping exists. I just plugged in "tall womens clothing" in a google search and got pages of results, a dozen of them well-known retailers. Back in the day there was little available for us "talls" and though I was never as tall as you, pant lengths were always an issue.

My problem was solved when I "shrunk" four inches in height in my old age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty