Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 12:51 PM

2,593 posts, read 4,238,406 times

Advertisements

Be thankful you're not 6'7"

I know a woman who's that tall that used to be a collegiate volleyball player. She has to go to this tailor that custom makes her clothing, or just settle for men's clothes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2014, 01:01 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,988,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten01 View Post
And the reason why they don't stock many longer lengths is because most women are not that tall. I think the average height for a woman is 5'5" or 5'6"?
The crazy thing is, I'm only 5'6" and I need long length pants! I just tried on a pair of "medium" length jeans at Target on my lunch break today and they were comical on me. I know I'm a little disproportionate, but wow. I feel for you taller women! If someone who is 5'6" has an issue with pants being too short, I have no idea where you guys find clothes.

Old 10-14-2014, 01:04 PM

339 posts, read 777,636 times
My wife is 6'1" and wears men's clothing for casual dress. We share the same waist size and her legs are longer than mine (and I'm 6'4"), so I can literally "get into my wife's pants."

Old 12-03-2014, 08:04 PM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times
I just had to revive this thread tonight.

On Friday, my boss is going to be the honoree at an industry dinner. It's a black-tie affair. Members of the organization pay $400 for their tickets. Today my boss came to me and said she just found out that she gets a table and asked me if I would like to go.

I had to turn it down because...I have nothing to wear. Even if I had $1000 to spend (which I don't, lol), there is not a store on the planet that I could walk into and buy a long gown to wear to a black-tie affair. I would need weeks to get something made or order a dress from a formal shop to be made with extra length. I'm not heartbroken over not being able to attend this event, but the fact that I can't go because I'm too tall just grinds somehow.

Regular-sized or short chicks would have a choice of dresses to buy at numerous stores.

Old 12-03-2014, 08:15 PM

2,023 posts, read 3,239,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitakolata View Post
The crazy thing is, I'm only 5'6" and I need long length pants! I just tried on a pair of "medium" length jeans at Target on my lunch break today and they were comical on me. I know I'm a little disproportionate, but wow. I feel for you taller women! If someone who is 5'6" has an issue with pants being too short, I have no idea where you guys find clothes.
I'm 5'6" and also need tall pants. I have long legs and a short torso. It's quite frustrating........

Old 12-03-2014, 08:23 PM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

On Friday, my boss is going to be the honoree at an industry dinner. It's a black-tie affair. Members of the organization pay $400 for their tickets. Today my boss came to me and said she just found out that she gets a table and asked me if I would like to go.

I had to turn it down because...I have nothing to wear. Even if I had $1000 to spend (which I don't, lol), there is not a store on the planet that I could walk into and buy a long gown to wear to a black-tie affair. I would need weeks to get something made or order a dress from a formal shop to be made with extra length. I'm not heartbroken over not being able to attend this event, but the fact that I can't go because I'm too tall just grinds somehow.

Regular-sized or short chicks would have a choice of dresses to buy at numerous stores.
Wow, MQ! And it's not exactly an item that you have in your closet. One thing you might consider (for future reference) is a women's suit for black tie. You know, the kind with the silk lapels (or imitation), and all that. Maybe that wouldn't be any easier than finding a gown. It was just a thought.

Even if you weren't extra-tall, though, it would still be a huge expense; the cost of tickets + a nice gown, yikes! Too rich for my blood!

Old 12-03-2014, 08:50 PM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Wow, MQ! And it's not exactly an item that you have in your closet. One thing you might consider (for future reference) is a women's suit for black tie. You know, the kind with the silk lapels (or imitation), and all that. Maybe that wouldn't be any easier than finding a gown. It was just a thought.

Even if you weren't extra-tall, though, it would still be a huge expense; the cost of tickets + a nice gown, yikes! Too rich for my blood!
The thing is that I wouldn't be paying for the tickets. As the honoree, my boss is getting a table that she doesn't have to pay for.

But yes, it's not as though I would want to spend that much money on a dress for a business event. However, it did make me think--I haven't even been to something that I have to dress up for, such as a wedding, in years. If I had to go to even something like that, I don't know what I would wear. My clothes are either business clothing for the office, or jeans/comfy clothes for almost everything else.

My friend's mom died last month, and my friend and her sister were disposing of her possessions. She had a fairly new sewing machine, but both women already had one, so they gave it to me.

I haven't made myself anything in years, but maybe I'll crack that thing open this winter and try to make something.

Old 12-03-2014, 08:54 PM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
The thing is that I wouldn't be paying for the tickets. As the honoree, my boss is getting a table that she doesn't have to pay for.

But yes, it's not as though I would want to spend that much money on a dress for a business event. However, it did make me think--I haven't even been to something that I have to dress up for, such as a wedding, in years. If I had to go to even something like that, I don't know what I would wear. My clothes are either business clothing for the office, or jeans/comfy clothes for almost everything else.

My friend's mom died last month, and my friend and her sister were disposing of her possessions. She had a fairly new sewing machine, but both women already had one, so they gave it to me.

I haven't made myself anything in years, but maybe I'll crack that thing open this winter and try to make something.
My problem, too, would be shoes for an event like that. I can't wear heels, due to arthritis in my feet, so probably the best thing for me in that type of event would be a women's tuxedo-type outfit. But imagine all that last-minute shopping, ugh!

Old 12-03-2014, 10:32 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escapenc View Post
I'm 5'6" and also need tall pants. I have long legs and a short torso. It's quite frustrating........
You're lucky that the tall fits. A lot of them aren't long enough for me. My cousin who is 6'4" has shorter legs than I do. I'm only 5'9".

I buy really nice socks because everyone sees them.

Old 12-03-2014, 10:52 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:

Black tie does not demand a floor length gown. A classy, not too revealing cocktail dress will do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty