Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 01:01 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times

Advertisements

I'm embarrassed to admit I didn't even know what 'bangs' were until recently, haha. I guess the term is more used in America for 'fringe.'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 01:55 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,375,504 times
If you have never had bangs/fringe, give it a try. It's only hair and it will grow out if you decide you really hate it. It is really not that big a deal ... you won't know unless you try. Or, if you can, buy fake bangs in your hair color -- that way you can always switch between the two styles.

Old 02-26-2013, 03:04 PM

3,219 posts, read 7,083,002 times
Bangs require constant upkeep. I used to have those stupid Zooey Dechanel bangs and I had to trim them at least twice a month. Growing them out was horrible, now at least I can tuck them behind my ear.

IMO the only adult women who look "good" with bangs are ones with big foreheads.

Old 02-26-2013, 03:20 PM

19,717 posts, read 20,250,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post

Bangs require constant upkeep. I used to have those stupid Zooey Dechanel bangs and I had to trim them at least twice a month. Growing them out was horrible, now at least I can tuck them behind my ear.
Yeah, I'm stuck in that stage right now...It blows, I wish I'd just left them alone in the first place.

Old 02-26-2013, 04:22 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,783,544 times
Well I don't know what y'all are having problems with, I have had some degree of bangs with every haircut I've gotten for the past 10+ years and always let them grow out because I'm a lazy bum. All you have to do is sweep them to the side, maybe use a bobby pin. Partially grown out bangs actually make for some fun hairstyles.

And trimac, I agree, when you look at it from an outside perspective bangs is a really weird term for a hairstyle.

Old 02-26-2013, 09:21 PM

44 posts, read 74,388 times
as a guy, please don't do it! we'll say you look great, but we don't mean it!

Old 02-27-2013, 10:24 AM

8,757 posts, read 9,466,255 times
I'm a bang gal, bangs come in various shapes and sizes, it really doesn't have to be anything too drastic. Best to discuss with your stylist if you haven't any idea what you feel would best suit you. I think I probably look best with the side swept, but most wear the more wispy front bangs because their easier for me to manage. My head doesn't protrude much, but my face need something to break up all that extra space from ear to ear.

Some sites you can upload a current pic and get an idea of what a new do will look like on you. The following sites allows such:

Straight Bangs - Pictures, Tips and How To's for Straight Across Bangs | Latest-Hairstyles.com

Bangs Hairstyles - Pictures and Information - Beauty Riot

Old 02-27-2013, 12:17 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times
A couple of years ago, I decided I should cut bangs. When I was a teen I had them down to the middle of my nose. I have a lot of pics of me with no visible eyes. That ended with contacts, but since got used to not having them. About ten minutes after I did, I looked at myself and had regretted it.

Since I use a deep side part its actually taken ages to get them to grow out where they drape right to the side. They were too long to be properly called bangs and more or less fluffed themself out where I was sort of a one eyed woman.

I do 'side swept' with a part but not cut as bangs. It overcomes the curlycue in the back where its not so noticable. For the longest time they just hung down and flopped over the eyes.

I'm very attached to this image of me at 13, but have come to the conclusion that its best kept in memory. My hair is baby fine too, so the bangs drain a lot of the fullness I do have. And they CURL when its damp (and I don't own an iron anymore)

My advise is now. It's not something you can just experiment with and comb away.

I think something like a headband with bangs you could wear and then take off would be a wonderful idea.

Last edited by nightbird47; 02-27-2013 at 12:29 PM..

Old 02-27-2013, 01:13 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,504,944 times
I have bangs because my forehead is very long - otherwise I would not have them. It is easy to cut them if you get some hairstyle tape or some tools they have out there for cutting bangs like the Crea Clip. Bangs make most women look younger and the hair does stay out of your eyes. But - since your forehead is short I am not sure they would look good.

Old 02-27-2013, 01:14 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
I don't find the growing out process to be that big of a hassle, either, but I have hair that grows VERY fast. Once my bangs get to the point where they are too long to wear as bangs, a headband holds them back handily enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty