Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 06:08 PM

1,373 posts, read 2,958,999 times

Advertisements

So I been stressed out and been biting my nails beyond the pulp! To a point where they do not protrude out of the fingernail
Been taking a drugstore ""hair & nails"" to no avail, Biotin made me break out!

Also prenatals aint done nuttin.

CD, What say you? How can I grow my nails besides healthy meals, I mean vitamins, minerals etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2014, 06:58 PM

15,641 posts, read 26,270,321 times
Well -- let me tell you my tale of vitamins. My mother had sleep issues. Started in menopause. Would sleep for a few hours be awake for a few hours and then go back to sleep for a few hours. She took a daily vitamin.

I hit menopause, I took a daily vitamin, I had the SAME sleep issues for several years -- every blessed night.

THEN I heard that for some people a daily vitamin can cause sleeplessness. I was at the end of the bottle... and I didn't buy anymore. By day two -- I was sleeping through the night again. So right now -- I'm more than a little anti supplement.

I also have crappy nails. My father had bad nails -- thin, easy to flake, easy to split.... and I do janitorial and my housework. My hands are in water A LOT.

The only thing that works for me is Barielle nail strengthening cream. A tiny dab, worked into the nail and cuticle at least once a day (I do it at night before bed), better if you can do it twice. The cream isn't cheap, but it lasts FOREVER.

After the grow out phase (the nails that have grown can't get any better) which for me is about a month -- I notice a clear difference. My nails -- while they aren't strong in the classic sense, they are stronger than they were, the flaking and splitting is gone, cuticles are healthy and my nails have a great deal of flexibility so when they bend -- and they will because my nails are thin -- they don't break or get a weird white damage spot, they flex and deal with it. And as I keep moisturizing, the ridges seems to disappear a little. (Ridges are an age thing).

I know a lot people love to take the supplements for nails, but they have never worked for me, because my nails are bad because of genetics not nutrition. And both my sisters who had kids found their nails got better in pregnancy -- the vitamins had nothing to do with that -- it was hormonal. One sister couldn't take the vitamins -- they made her sick as a dog. When she stopped she was fine, just a little morning sickness.

Old 05-23-2014, 07:22 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,277,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymillionaire View Post
So I been stressed out and been biting my nails beyond the pulp! To a point where they do not protrude out of the fingernail
Been taking a drugstore ""hair & nails"" to no avail, Biotin made me break out!

Also prenatals aint done nuttin.

CD, What say you? How can I grow my nails besides healthy meals, I mean vitamins, minerals etc?
It doesn't matter what you eat or what vitamins you take. You won't grow healthy nails until you break the habit of biting them.

Old 05-23-2014, 07:32 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,688,290 times
Can You Make Your Fingernails Grow Faster?

Old 05-23-2014, 07:41 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,394,970 times
Stop biting them until they grow out a bit. Then get a manicure with gel polish. It will make your nail stronger so it can grow more.

Old 05-23-2014, 10:02 PM

19,723 posts, read 20,259,734 times
It may not work for everybody, but I noticed a significant improvement to my nails when taking vitamin E daily.. (I wasn't taking it for nails, it just turned out to be an added bonus.*) About halfway through a bottle of 30, my nails had grown long & strong. I didn't notice it was the vitamins til I had run out after a month and my nails started getting flimsy & breaking off.

Old 05-24-2014, 03:29 PM

1,373 posts, read 2,958,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
Stop biting them until they grow out a bit. Then get a manicure with gel polish. It will make your nail stronger so it can grow more.

This!

Old 05-24-2014, 05:52 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,688,290 times
Only thing about gel nails is that you have to return every week or so to have them filled. I had mine for a couple months and ended up removing them. Just wasnt something I could afford after awhile. I did like them a lot, though.

Old 05-24-2014, 06:24 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,277,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
Only thing about gel nails is that you have to return every week or so to have them filled. I had mine for a couple months and ended up removing them. Just wasnt something I could afford after awhile. I did like them a lot, though.
Every week?? Wow, your nails must grow incredibly fast. I can usually go 3-4 weeks.

Old 05-24-2014, 11:52 PM

1,311 posts, read 1,694,165 times
You have to figure out how to stop biting them. This may sound counter-intuitive, but have you thought of filing them to a nice shape and painting them to make them look nice? If your nails look nicer than usual it may provide an incentive to not bite them and allow them to grow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty