Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2013, 10:22 PM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montguy View Post
Au contraire, Ruth!

In feminist culture, the sexually-charged female predator feels more compelled to approach me than I will to approach her.

The approach is no longer a male prerogative, don't you know?
Actually, it never was. Women have always approached men, but not in the same way as men approach women. The difference between then and now is that women aren't as reluctant to actually ask a guy out, in a cold-approach. But there are plenty who still expect the guy to take that role, even as the women expect equal pay, equal promotion opportunity, equal protection under the law, etc. etc.

Besides, there are shy feminists. Whether or not a woman approaches you isn't a good criterion for identifying feminists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 10:24 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,647,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alrobinson View Post
It's a way of acquiescing to our past of sexual repression that requires female flesh always to be molded in some way to meet a social concept of containment.
On one hand, I want to type, you don't actually believe this s***, I hope. However, on the other, there is something to this. I read many articles about how "shocking" and "subversive" Lean Dunham was being by displaying her very average body naked and thought they were silly. Once watching an episode of "Girls" though, and seeing her naked, it did cause a bit of a jolt. Perhaps we are uncomfortable with human bodies that don't look like molded plastic.

1,442 posts, read 1,940,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Yes, feminism is more tolerable, even bordering on fascinating, if presented in the right package.

For me, the tolerability of feminism tends to depend heavily on my blood-alcohol content--the package can be secondary under the right circumstances.

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montguy View Post
Au contraire, Ruth!

In feminist culture, the sexually-charged female predator feels more compelled to approach me than I will to approach her.

The approach is no longer a male prerogative, don't you know?
And what exactly do you think is 'feminist culture'? I know plenty of feminists and they come in every size, shape, gender, sexual orientation, color and attitude including plenty of stay at home parents of both genders.

Female predator? So a woman DARING to say hello to a man (how DARE she say hello, that harlot!) is all of a sudden a predator? Interestingly, I also know a few feminists that refuse to approach men. Weird how that works, eh?

Old 03-27-2013, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
On one hand, I want to type, you don't actually believe this s***, I hope. However, on the other, there is something to this. I read many articles about how "shocking" and "subversive" Lean Dunham was being by displaying her very average body naked and thought they were silly. Once watching an episode of "Girls" though, and seeing her naked, it did cause a bit of a jolt. Perhaps we are uncomfortable with human bodies that don't look like molded plastic.
Yes, she had the audacity to show a non-perfect body to the masses and there was an outcry. Like in the cracked article I posted earlier, women are there for visual consumption and if we don't adhere to that there is flat out anger towards the woman. How DARE she expose us to her average, non-airbrushed body! It's sad when an average body causes outrage like that.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:28 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,734,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
There is something to his/her statement, I think.

Lena's a good example of another woman called 'fat and ugly' repeatedly for displaying her un - enhanced body. But that's to be expected when she doesn't look like some molded plastic. There seems to be a message out there that if you don't look like these models/Maxim list worthy women -- you are going to get railed when displaying otherwise. When you take her treatment into consideration it's no wonder many women don't feel good at all about their bodies.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
No matter how true, even when you make statements like the ones in the second half, YOU will be pegged as the jealous woman. That is the way it works, LOL. I do not beleive that people think a less attractive woman can look at the situation objectively (or subjectively?) and not become jealous, a total untruth. It has been put into our heads that every woman is jealous of other women so even if you point out the discrepancies you are just 'jealous of the pretty girl.' I don't know if anyone wants to argue there's obvious allowances made by men when it comes to attractive women....

I do disagree with you that 'they know not what they do,' and aren't aware of the completely parallel treatment. (Someone's going to trot out biology, I can just feel it). Can't rep you once again though. Good points.
Interestingly, it was a guy I was working with (he was older and married for many years) that brought up the point that my ideas were being ignored at a work meeting and it did make the other guys kind of angry. He pointed out that the 'pretty' woman's ideas weren't viable and that mine were much more feasible and they threw an absolute fit. In the end, I got my way (based on my ideas, not on my pushiness) and was called all kinds of names, including a jealous bit**, by the other male coworkers.

In all honestly, I really don't think most of them realize what they're doing because they see 'pretty' and assume that means 'better'. Now, they don't like being called out on it though. At that same place a woman was given a completely made up 'marketing' position getting paid 60k a year because she was hot. And yes, she was a stunningly gorgeous high school dropout who ended up marrying one of our executives not long after starting. Weird how that works, a completely unqualified 20 year old getting a decently paid position AND getting married to the guy who hired her.

Nah, women aren't judged on looks at all, just on the quality of their work.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:40 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,940,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
Most are egotistical as*holes in general regardless of what they're expressing. Time and again it seems to boil down to them thinking they can actually play 'create a woman' for their own pleasures.

Notwithstanding your sweeping generalization, I don't want to "create" anything, thank you very much (what's your assumption, Doll Eyes? That I, a male critic of certain feminism-spawned behaviors, am driven only by some insidious desire to control women?)

At least that's been put forth numerous times on this site. They see nothing wrong with this apparently. There's a difference between expressing 'discontent with behavioral characteristics' and actually thinking you can control the outcome for another person, LOL. A woman's sole goal in life is in fact, not to walk around primped and preened, until some man deems her 'worthy,' this may come as a shock. Here's a crazy notion: how about a woman just being who she is the same way men are able to do? That doesn't automatically equate to walking around half dressed nor walking around frumpy and being labeled a feminist.

Anyway feminist and whatever else is off the topic.
No, the fact that so many women feel compelled to be obnoxious loudmouths and carry themselves like men does not come as a shock to me; in fact, I almost perceive it as a normality (socially, at least).

And might you be suggesting that women often hold men to standards that women themselves don't hold themselves to? Now that makes for great discussion.

Lastly, your question may as well have been phrased "why are men such hypocritical pigs?"

Of course feminism is relevant here.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Yes, she had the audacity to show a non-perfect body to the masses and there was an outcry. Like in the cracked article I posted earlier, women are there for visual consumption and if we don't adhere to that there is flat out anger towards the woman. How DARE she expose us to her average, non-airbrushed body! It's sad when an average body causes outrage like that.
I've got to say though, Jet, male celebrities who look like Lena don't display their bodies in sexual contexts. Jack Black may take off his shirt in a scene, but it's for comedic value. Lena is forcing us to consider that average women, with their very average bodies, are sexual creatures. I hope she doesn't consider this a grand strike against "the patriarchy" because it's really not. If a fat male celebrity was taking off his shirt and showing his flabby butt in sex scenes, women everywhere would protest and gag. Men and women both don't want to be subjected to strange nude bodies unless they're ideal.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Interestingly, it was a guy I was working with (he was older and married for many years) that brought up the point that my ideas were being ignored at a work meeting and it did make the other guys kind of angry. He pointed out that the 'pretty' woman's ideas weren't viable and that mine were much more feasible and they threw an absolute fit. In the end, I got my way (based on my ideas, not on my pushiness) and was called all kinds of names, including a jealous bit**, by the other male coworkers.

In all honestly, I really don't think most of them realize what they're doing because they see 'pretty' and assume that means 'better'. Now, they don't like being called out on it though. At that same place a woman was given a completely made up 'marketing' position getting paid 60k a year because she was hot. And yes, she was a stunningly gorgeous high school dropout who ended up marrying one of our executives not long after starting. Weird how that works, a completely unqualified 20 year old getting a decently paid position AND getting married to the guy who hired her.

Nah, women aren't judged on looks at all, just on the quality of their work.
Completely agree. I've seen this time and again. The single most important thing a woman can do for her career is be hot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty